CD drive not working after Mediamonkey5 rip crashed

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

MarkCoyle

CD drive not working after Mediamonkey5 rip crashed

Post by MarkCoyle »

Hello,

A CD rip in MediaMonkey5 stopped as the programme froze.

Since then I am getting the 'files are ready to be written to the drive' and desktop.ini showing in Windows on the CD drive.
I have followed the resolutions in Windows and even ordered a spare CD drive and have the same issue.
Are there any settings in Mediamonkey 5 I can change to help with this?

MediaMonkey now will not show the contents of the drive but will rip it if I just right click and rip within MM5. So the CD drive works, it is just stuck with some kind of temporary files - but seemingly not the ones Windows uses as I have removed those.

Thanks
Mark
Lowlander

Re: CD drive not working after Mediamonkey5 rip crashed

Post by Lowlander »

Have you tried a PC restart and removing CDPlayer.ini

c:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\MediaMonkey\ or in the Portable folder for a Portable Install.
MarkCoyle

Post by MarkCoyle »

Thank you. Unfortunately this problem persists. I have even reset the PC, installed app by app and it is MM5 somehow locking up the CD so that it cannot be read. There isn't a cdplayer.ini to delete (I do have hidden files shown).
MarkCoyle

Post by MarkCoyle »

So it seems that on a clean Windows install with no other apps added the CD player works fine using Windows Media Player.
When I add latest Media Monkey 5 (licensed) it will work once with ripping CDs.
After I then exit, Windows then recognises the CD drive only as a DVD drive and CDs in it as a DVDRW waiting to finaise.
When I go back into MediaMonkey5 and check the CD folder, it is then shown as empty.

I welcome any ideas or suggestions. This was all fine until the MM5 releases at around 15th June when I first had this issue.

I have tried all the 'fix' CD player suggestions and none seem to work. When I do a clean Windows reset, the CD player is working again.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Desktop.ini is seen on drive when there is an empty Disk inserted as that list presents itself when there is something to be written. Desktop INI is folder information file.

Try to start MM as Administrator, Also try different CD and instead of RIP try to play it.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
MarkCoyle

Post by MarkCoyle »

I'm not sure this is a MediaMonkey issue, I think it might be a Windows update one.
I now have the issue on another laptop I've updated with latest Windows without MediaMonkey on it. That doesn't have an internal CD drive and is the same when I connect it.

It happens with any CD, it is odd.

How strange.
MarkCoyle

Post by MarkCoyle »

So interestingly after resetting my laptop, the CD works and is accessed by other applications without issue, so long as I do not install MM5. I'll be interested to see if anyone has a comparable experience over time. It feels as though somehow Windows 21H1 is conflicting in some way with MM5. For now, I'm having to use another app while I continue to investigate.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I don't, with multiple drives, and they all work with MediaMonkey 5.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

I also can't replicate, could you please generate debug log (item 4b here: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... 30&t=86643 )
Also, can you elaborate what do you mean by "not working CD drive" after MM5 usage ?
MarkCoyle

Post by MarkCoyle »

What I mean is that the CD drive acts as a DVDRW drive and discs appear as though they are awaiting finalization, which isn't possible of course for a bought CD. It then means the CD cannot be read or played. MM then sees the CD as empty.
I'll generate the debug report at some point soon.
At present I am keeping MM off the laptop and the CD drive remains accessible via other apps.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

It should also not be possible from MediaMonkey 5's perspective as it doesn't have burn capability. Hopefully the log will show why this happens.
MarkCoyle

Post by MarkCoyle »

Thanks. For clarity, it is CD ripping not burning that I have been referring to.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
I can't replicate, I ripped 40 CDs for a friend Today and not a single issue.

When you insert a CD do you get Notification Popup that Audio CD is inserted and to choose what to do?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts