ALAC M4A coded and ipod sync auto conversion rules.

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

loondawg

ALAC M4A coded and ipod sync auto conversion rules.

Post by loondawg »

Is this codec included in MM5?

This is related to a problem I am having syncing an iPod. In auto conversion rules, I select ALAC m4a for FLAC files. But it only works when I select a smaller selection of files. When I select more files, they seem to transfer but the player does not recognize them. The same larger group of files will work if transferred in insane mp3 format.

So as a test, I wanted to pre-convert all the files to ALAC and then try to transfer them. But when I went to do that, even though ALAC m4a appears in the list of available conversion formats, I get an error saying MediaMonkey is unable to encode this format. But the format is in the list without the word (download) like the restricted formats.

So what gives? Is this codec included with MM5 gold? Is there some limitation that has caused me to waste untold hours trying to get this to sync?
Lowlander

Re: ALAC M4A coded and ipod sync auto conversion rules.

Post by Lowlander »

Encoding is not included and requires the separate MediaMonkey Codec Pack: https://www.mediamonkey.com/addons/brow ... odec-pack/
loondawg

Post by loondawg »

Just so I am clear, you are saying ALAC m4a encoding is not included at all, even for syncing. So the fact that it will encode a handful of songs in that format is just a fluke? Seems very odd.

And should it then be considered a bug that the codecs are not clearly marked "(download)" in the dropdowns? I'm pretty disappointed that I spent so much time trying to figure this out if it turns out I needed to make an extra purchase to get it to work.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I've checked and ALAC is free and included, but AAC, MP4, etc. aren't.

If you're having issues converting to ALAC (M4A) please make sure you're on build 2416+: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... 86639&sd=d and if it occurs on that build capture it in a debug log (step 4b) and attach the log to a Support Ticket: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... 30&t=86643
loondawg

Post by loondawg »

I do appreciate you being patient and following up with me. Now that you mention it, I suspect I am not on the latest build. I don't think I am too far behind but it's probably not the latest.

I will confirm I am using the latest build and retest. It will take a few days probably before I have results though. I will have to do a clean portable install since I installed the codec pack to test with the 30-day free trial. And it will take a while to setup and test since I am working with a pretty large library and syncing with a slow iPod.

Again, thank you.
loondawg

Post by loondawg »

Sorry for the delay but I have an update. The initial problem I reported was caused by hardware corruption. MediaMonkey was not at fault.

However there still does seem to be a problem/question about the ALAC codec. It does seem to work as a default auto-conversion for FLAC as long as you just enable it. But if if you try to change the properties of that default rule, or try to use the ALAC M4A codec for one of the other rules, it will give the "MediaMonkey is unable to encode this format" error.

So if you simply double click the predefined auto-conversion rule for FLAC and select OK without any changes at all, you will still get an error. That just does not seem right.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Which build (Help > About) are you using?
loondawg

Post by loondawg »

5.0.1.2418 (Portable Mode)
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I tested with using Tools > Convert format to both ALAC M4A and M4A set to use ALAC codec and changed the settings and both worked. Can you reproduce the problem using Convert format? If so, please capture it in a debug log (step 4b) and attach the log to a Support Ticket: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... 30&t=86643
loondawg

Post by loondawg »

Just wanted to let you know I submitted the ticket. It's Ticket #1973. It's still in new status though.