can i play multiple folders at once

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

miltk

can i play multiple folders at once

Post by miltk »

i have several albums under one artist that i would like to play en toto.

can i play them as a folder or do i have to play them as "artist"

frankly i'm not a big fan of tags and have always preferred viewing in a folder tree. guess i'm old fashioned that way. :) :) :)
plus folders allows me to hear them all grouped, which i suspect tags will only play alphabetically(?). am i wrong?

thx all
Lowlander

Re: can i play multiple folders at once

Post by Lowlander »

You can use the Location sub-node if you prefer folder based browsing: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... 0#Location
miltk

Post by miltk »

Lowlander wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:17 pm You can use the Location sub-node if you prefer folder based browsing: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... 0#Location
is this a thing i have to enable?

i am currently viewing MM with the folder tree in the left pane, specific album/folder contents in the center main pane, and details of the current song on the right. is that what you mean by location sub-node.

anyway in this view i cannot see a way to play several folders/albums in the correct order of their contents
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

It's in the Media Tree, for example Music > Location: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... #Interface

You can right click on a folder in the Location sub-node and select Play Now (or other variant of Play...).
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

miltk wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:14 pm frankly i'm not a big fan of tags and have always preferred viewing in a folder tree. guess i'm old fashioned that way. :) :) :)
plus folders allows me to hear them all grouped, which i suspect tags will only play alphabetically(?). am i wrong?
Think of tags as being something like the difference between your email address vs the address on your home's letter box.
An email address allowed you to change residence without having to advise and hassle all of the people who send you letters.

Music tags allow you to group and re-group your music, without having to shift your tracks. Shifting files has downstream effects upon your music platforms, and also duplicates files in your backup locations. To some extent you are locked into the organisation that you did when you ripped and stored your tracks.

Without tags, a tool like MediaMonkey is a monochrome shadow of itself. With tags, it is like it is on steroids.

Example: take the album Shifting Sand by Robert Plant & Alison Krause:
  • is it a Robert Plant album?
  • or is it an Alison Krause album?
  • or is it a Folk Rock Album?
  • or is it an Americana album?
  • or is it an album from 2007?
  • or is it a Grammy Award winning album?
  • or is it a Townes Van Zandt, or Allen Toussaint album, since it contains tracks they wrote?
  • or is it an album that you have played less than 10 times, or haven't heard for more than a year?
The answer is of course that it is all of those things ... and with tags and MM, it can be, without duplication or track shifting
miltk wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:14 pm and have always preferred viewing in a folder tree. guess i'm old fashioned that way. :) :) :)
MM can make it appear that you are still browsing a folder tree ... but is a dynamic folder tree, where your tracks have been magically re-arranged to suit your current mood ... ie. tracks by Alison Krause that I haven't heard for a year ... or albums by Robert Plant, in Date Release sequence.
miltk wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:14 pm which i suspect tags will only play alphabetically(?). am i wrong?
Happily you are very wrong :D

eg.
  • sort or filter your tracks by AlbumArtist
  • into a display sorted by Album, Track#
  • select some or all tracks, and press play
I mentioned magic before, but of course it is not. It is work that you have to do, but MM5 does ease the way.
  • MM5 has tools for you to bulk import community sourced and agreed tags for all your music tags.
  • but you have to learn the relatively quirky, and poorly documented, MM5 User Interface
  • and MM5 has gone backwards to some extent with support for album focused listeners, but one lives in hope
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.