Backing up MM5 database similar to iTunes

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

MMhow2

Re: Backing up MM5 database similar to iTunes

Post by MMhow2 »

Now get this...

The path for the files is now showing up correctly when it comes to the actual Music folder (Collection?) The files ARE there.

Played around with the with getting the playlists to talk to the rest of the MM5. Not sure what I did, but I am one step closer. Now I have *partial* playlists populating and playing the corresponding music. Example - I have a playlist with 236 songs. 42 of them have populated. The other ones are a no-show, not even grayed out.
I am an innocent victim that knows nothing about MediaMonkey. Help me on my path of entertainment joy. :(
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Playlists in MediaMonkey should be correct too, however exported Playlist files are not updated by this mechanism in MediaMonkey. They'll need to be changed outside of MediaMonkey in a text editor.
MMhow2

Post by MMhow2 »

Wow. Okay, trying a sample one.

---------

Just copied a sample one. Move it to another HDD and used Notepad to edit it. Used the Replace feature to change the path in the .m3u file. Saved and replaced the old one in the MM5 playlist folder. No change.

It just doesn't make any sense a small part of the playlist would show up, yet they are in the same file.
I am an innocent victim that knows nothing about MediaMonkey. Help me on my path of entertainment joy. :(
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You need to scan Playlists into MediaMonkey and it won't update if the Playlist has already been scanned in (in that case you need to remove it from MediaMonkey first).
MMhow2

Post by MMhow2 »

1. I got it running as it should. The only thing that is zero'd out is Played #. I don't want to sneeze around this thing, so I am happy to achieve a 1 on the Played #.

2. Thank you for all your responses. I had to take your responses and combine them at some points, as when one thing would start working, another thing that was working went down. Made no sense, but like I said, no sneezing.

3. I would really like to make a recommendation to the MM team about how over-complicated this is. On iTunes *gasp*, It is super simple. File > Library > Organize Library. This brings all the media "in house" to the iTunes program no matter where it is stored. To move back-up or move to another CPU, all you have to do is install iTunes and move the single iTunes folder in C:\....>....> Music , put it on the new CPU and it is done. No need to edit playlists or media locations. MM is such a great product, I am not sure why, or why it is complicated to back-up and transfer your MM over to a new device. If I am missing something, it would be cool if there was a YouTube video showing the stepped process to make this a seamless process.

Anyways, off to editing all my playlists. Thanks for your help.
MMhow2

Post by MMhow2 »

PS - Do I dare ask if there is a way to edit the Played # field?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Somewhere along the way you didn't take the database correctly (as you don't have play counts and have empty playlists) as it's as simple as:
1) Copy MediaMonkey database file over
2) Copy Media files over
3) Start MediaMonkey and use Manually Re-assign Drive or File Locate/Moved Missing Files

https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index. ... w_computer
MMhow2

Post by MMhow2 »

Ugh. Now I need to figure this one out too. None of the songs have any artist information with them. They show in the respective playlist .m3u, but not in MM itself. Going to see what I missed in the link you just sent.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

FYI: Play Counter can be edited via Properties > Details page: https://www.dropbox.com/s/d81odcexci69h ... 0.png?dl=0
MMhow2

Post by MMhow2 »

Nice!
richiefinger

Post by richiefinger »

When using the built in back up option in MM5 where is the backup stored?
Can't find this on the wiki
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

richiefinger wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:18 am When using the built in back up option in MM5 where is the backup stored?
Can't find this on the wiki
If you upgrade to the latest version there are some improvements:
  • you can customise the backup location
  • and the Dialog Box that opens when you trigger a manual backup, via the "backup Database Now" button, shows the backup location
  • and there is a housekeeping option to give you control over how many backup copies are retained/list]

I think in the previous version the backup was created in the same location as the database.
    Look there. You should see multiple backup files if you enabled the backup facility.

nb. the latest version is pre-release. I'm sure that some people are using it ready. I have tinkered with it, but not cut-over yet.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
richiefinger

Post by richiefinger »

Thanks for pointing that out. I've updated to that version now. Exactly what I needed.