Backing up MM5 database similar to iTunes

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

MMhow2

Backing up MM5 database similar to iTunes

Post by MMhow2 »

All,

When it came to backup my desktop, I would always drag over the iTunes folder in the Music folder to the destination I wanted to copy to on my external HDD.

What is the process for doing this with MM? As I am no longer using iTunes, I want to make sure I am able to do this with MM as my collection grows. In case I have to re-install.
I am an innocent victim that knows nothing about MediaMonkey. Help me on my path of entertainment joy. :(
Lowlander

Re: Backing up MM5 database similar to iTunes

Post by Lowlander »

You can still do this if you keep your media files in a single folder. MediaMonkey leaves it up to you as to where you store your music.

MediaMonkey can backup its database file: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... y_Database
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

To backup the MM5 database and settings go to File->Manage Database and select Backup Database Now. If you are talking about the media files that is different
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
MMhow2

Post by MMhow2 »

Thanks for the answers.

When backing up iTunes, all I have to do is install the program on the CPU and iTunes rebuilds the everything (playlists, music) from the iTunes folder in the Music folder.

So if I was to move all the iTunes music into my MM folder, I would be able to essential reinstall a complete MM?
I am an innocent victim that knows nothing about MediaMonkey. Help me on my path of entertainment joy. :(
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

No, that would only backup your media files (which by default do contain the tags for most file types), but not the MediaMonkey Library which as mentioned above can be backed up from within MediaMonkey.
MMhow2

Post by MMhow2 »

I tried using the information in the link you referenced above and did not have success.

Here is what I did;

- Backup database now... on desktop

- Installed MM5 on my laptop

- Created a new folder called "MM Move" with my MM5.db and the folder from iTunes > iTunes Media > Music

- Moved MM Move and its files over to the Music folder on my laptop

- Once MM5 and the folder are ready, I go to File > Manage database > Restore from backup. This returns the error message "Restore Failed!"

My goal is to have a mirror of my desktop on my laptop.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You can copy the MM5 database from one PC to the other: https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/kno ... ini-files/ and then fix the hard drive ID: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... sign_Drive
MMhow2

Post by MMhow2 »

I reviewed the two links you sent. The first one is pretty straight forward. The second link, well, it does not match what is in MM5 as far as I can tell. The steps/location of steps/names are not in the places delineated. Am I missing something? Really need to get this thing to work on my lappy.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

What is missing for you, those steps are for MediaMonkey 5. Note that Collection is a Collection like Music.
MMhow2

Post by MMhow2 »

Im not tracking.

Both steps are required to mirror MM5 from my desktop to my laptop?

If so, where specifically do I find the 'Collection' area(s). I cannot find where the information in link two lives on the actual install.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

1 Right click on the drive in the Collection > Location node in the Media Tree and select Media properties from the Context Menu.
2 You can select which drive should be used using Location to select the drive on your PC that should be used.
A Collection is a root node in the Media Tree like Music: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... ollections So Music > Location should have the drive without drive letter on the new PC (after you copied the database over).
MMhow2

Post by MMhow2 »

I think I need to break this down in smaller steps.

Once I have completed Step #4 (Add the following line to the [System] section of the MediaMonkey.ini file: DBName=full pathfilename.DB (for example DBName=C:\Databases\music.db)), what should I see when I open up MM5?

I see where Playlists are on the left side of the tree, but dropdown from under Playlists, there is nothing there.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You should see your library when selecting Music in the Media Tree: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHelp:Library/5.0
MMhow2

Post by MMhow2 »

Okay I might be on to something here...

So how do I get my playlists to populate?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

If you got the right database to the right place that should not be needed. You should see your library as it was on the old PC. If this isn't the case something has gone wrong in getting the database from the other PC.

All you need to do is, copy the database from 1 PC to the other from their default location: https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/kno ... ini-files/
The ini setting of DBName is not required unless you want to use a custom location for the database.