how to correct incorrect links to wikipedia bio and genre

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

mackay_tt

how to correct incorrect links to wikipedia bio and genre

Post by mackay_tt »

I am using Media Monkey 5.0.0.2338 on Windows 10 PC

The Wikipedia bio that appears for composer/artist John Adams (born 1947) is mistakenly the entry for John Luther Adams (born 1953). The image retrieved is the correct one but the bio is for the wrong person who has a similar name.

Additional errors I have found:

Kai Adomeit (a classical conductor) has the bio and genre of the R&B group "Kai"

Vadim Afanasiev (Russian choral conductor) has the bio of "Vadim Brodsky"

Alexander & Daykin (classical piano duo) has the bio of "Marshall & Alexander"

Is there a way for me, as a user, to remove the wrong entries and replace them with correct ones?

Thank you.
drakinite

Re: how to correct incorrect links to wikipedia bio and genre

Post by drakinite »

What links are you referring to? Are you referring to the links added by the Show Links addon (https://www.mediamonkey.com/addons/brow ... how-links/) ?
Student electrical-computer engineer, web programmer, part-time MediaMonkey developer, full-time MediaMonkey enthusiast
I uploaded many addons to MM's addon page, but not all of those were created by me. "By drakinite, Submitted by drakinite" means I made it on my own time. "By Ventis Media, Inc., Submitted by drakinite" means it may have been made by me or another MediaMonkey developer, so instead of crediting/thanking me, please thank the team. You can still ask me for support on any of our addons.
mackay_tt

Post by mackay_tt »

@drakinite Thank you for your prompt reply.

I was unfamiliar with your Show Links addon.

In the main view of "My Library," above the albums and list panels there is a space that displays the artist's image next to a brief text entry of the artist's Wikipedia page. The image can be changed by right-clicking it. Clicking on the "continue reading at Wikipedia" link under the text will open the Wikipedia page for the artist identified. But If the Wikipedia page displayed is for the wrong artist I can't figure out how to change it to the correct artist.

I installed Show Links and now can change the Wikipedia bio by right clicking the "..." at the top. MediaMonkey will not always save the correction; I am not sure but I think this has something to do with MusicBrainz.
drakinite

Post by drakinite »

Ah, yes - I believe that the Wikipedia bio is determined by MusicBrainz. If you click the menu ( ⋮ ) you should get an option "Edit in Musicbrainz", which should let you edit the associated Wikipedia link after you make an account. I don't believe your changes will propagate immediately, though - We have our own MusicBrainz database that MM clients connect to, and it's updated every hour.

If I search for "Vadim Afanasiev" on musicbrainz.org, I see a decent number of different artists, so I'm not sure which one your MM client actually uses to get its data.

Also - Are you sure that you didn't have the ability to change the Wikipedia bio before installing Show Links? The addon simply adds track links in the tracklist view; nothing more.
Student electrical-computer engineer, web programmer, part-time MediaMonkey developer, full-time MediaMonkey enthusiast
I uploaded many addons to MM's addon page, but not all of those were created by me. "By drakinite, Submitted by drakinite" means I made it on my own time. "By Ventis Media, Inc., Submitted by drakinite" means it may have been made by me or another MediaMonkey developer, so instead of crediting/thanking me, please thank the team. You can still ask me for support on any of our addons.
rusty

Post by rusty »

One other point: if the wikipedia entry is correct but MMW5 has matched to the wrong wikipedia entry, click the 3 dots > Choose alternate (Artist).

I guess you've already done that, but just wanted to be sure.

-Rusty
mackay_tt

Post by mackay_tt »

Thanks for your responses. They are very helpful. I think I've figured out how to use "..." and "Edit MusicBrainz" now.

I am having a problem with corrected links reverting to the original incorrect links. I corrected the John Adams and John Luther Adams links successfully. But when I reloaded MM5 the next day the links had reverted. I re-corrected them again tonight only to have them revert almost immediately. I renamed John Adams to John Coolidge Adams and corrected them again. But it was not until I clicked Manage Database and rebuilt the data base that the corrections seem to take hold permanently.

The problem may result from the fact that I use LastName, FirstNames format in my database. After selecting an alternate name from the drop-down list, my selection is renamed to FirstNames LastName format with the correct bio link. When I then reorder the names to fit my format it seems to do a new search which links to the old incorrect name again. I am now choosing "Don't display info" to avoid getting caught in that loop. Do you have any thoughts or recommendations about this?

I have set the Metadata lookup option to replace information if confidence is > 96% but I don't know if that setting effects the problem here.

I switched to MM5 recently and am still in my first learning curve. So far I am pleased with what has been done. I have more than 221,000 files in my database and MM5 seems to handle them with more ease and speed than the previous version did.

Thanks again for your help, and your time.
rusty

Post by rusty »

mackay_tt wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:03 am I have set the Metadata lookup option to replace information if confidence is > 96% but I don't know if that setting effects the problem here.
That particular setting is for the Auto-tag feature--it won't have an effect on Wikipedia lookups. The wikipedia lookups are based on the Artist name as it appears in Wikipedia. Given that you're using the LastName, FirstName format I'd expect that many matches will initially be incorrect. But once you 'Choose alternate', that alternate list should stick, unless you change the Artist again. Are you saying that the mapping to the Wikipedia entry is lost even if you don't make any changes to the Artist's metadata?

Rusty
mackay_tt

Post by mackay_tt »

Thanks for staying with me.

It seems that mapping to the Wikipedia entry is lost when I change the name from "John Adams" to "Adams, John", even if I had chosen an alternate. It treats the re-formatted name as a new entry. The only way around this I have found is to click on "Don't display info." This is not really a solution, merely a way to prevent the wrong info from displaying.

I may be the last dinosaur still indexing on LastName. I am considering adapting, finally, to the new tech-world order (FirstNames LastName), but that will take some programing and I am quite out of practice there.

Tim