PC to PC?

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

ellymoo

PC to PC?

Post by ellymoo »

I've got a new laptop and want to move all my music using MM from laptop 1 to laptop 2. I've managed to get the two laptops to talk to each other and most of my music has moved over, but not all. According to laptop 1, there are 6084 tracks on it but only 5869 of these sync over to laptop 2. I can see on laptop 2 it claims to be syncing track number 6084, but I still only have 5869 tracks on there (syncing wirelessly) and have no idea where the missing ones have gone. Can anyone help please? Thank you.
IanRTaylorUK

Re: PC to PC?

Post by IanRTaylorUK »

You might want to try Foldermatch from http://www.foldermatch.com/

This will show the "orphans" in either the old or new laptop.

You then have an option to "synchronise" the files / folders. Once synchronised you can rescan using MMW4 or MMW5.

Hope this is useful.
Ian Taylor
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

I use this one.
It is really good.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
IanRTaylorUK

Post by IanRTaylorUK »

Thanks Barry, will take a look at this. Have been using "folder matching" software for a few decades - probably on a daily / weekly basis. A real time saver.
Ian Taylor
ellymoo

Post by ellymoo »

Thank you so much, that's brilliant!

Do you have any idea why not all the files are going over?
ellymoo

Post by ellymoo »

I couldn't get the one laptop to connect to the other, so I wound up moving all the music onto an expansion drive, then using the folder match software to match that. It still hasn't worked totally though, despite claiming there are no 'orphan' files, there appear to be still 40 odd tracks missing. This is getting really dull.

I tried using the folder on my phone SD card too but MediaMonkey just frose. My key for the last letter of the alphabet doesn't work. :x
drakinite

Post by drakinite »

Personally, I use OneDrive to sync all of my music and documents. It costs money, but it's quite useful for me.
Student electrical-computer engineer, web programmer, part-time MediaMonkey developer, full-time MediaMonkey enthusiast
I uploaded many addons to MM's addon page, but not all of those were created by me. "By drakinite, Submitted by drakinite" means I made it on my own time. "By Ventis Media, Inc., Submitted by drakinite" means it may have been made by me or another MediaMonkey developer, so instead of crediting/thanking me, please thank the team. You can still ask me for support on any of our addons.
ellymoo

Post by ellymoo »

Could I ask how you do this? Does Dropbox act similarly?
IanRTaylorUK

Post by IanRTaylorUK »

Barry4679 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:39 pm I use this one.
It is really good.
Hi Barry, Beyond Compare looks really good. I like that it can "see" the contents of the memory card of my USB connected Android device. I also like that you just double click on the device "album" folder and it displays the content of both the device and PC album folders.

It is also obvious which artists are not on the device from the top level comparison of the two music folders.

Thanks for suggesting.
Ian Taylor