Can I import settings and data from MMW4?

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

FrankC

Can I import settings and data from MMW4?

Post by FrankC »

I installed MMW5 next to 4. But especially for the syncing process, I'd like to import the settings and data from 4. Is that possible?
MMW4 free and MMW5 Gold
Computer: Win10 Pro 64b
Phone: Samsung A50 (Android 11) w/ Samsung Music and MM Android Pro
iPods: Touch 4th Gen, Nano 2nd Gen, Nano 4th Gen
iPad: Pro 2020
All software current on updates
Lowlander

Re: Can I import settings and data from MMW4?

Post by Lowlander »

Delete the MM5.DB and put the MM.DB from MMW4 in its place. When starting MediaMonkey it should update. The database contains the sync settings.

https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/kno ... ini-files/
rusty

Post by rusty »

Note that MM5 will normally automatically import the db/settings from MM4, but may not do so if MM4 is installed in Portable mode.

I guess you have MM4 installed as 'portable'?

-Rusty
skst

Post by skst »

IDK about the OP, but yes, I have MM4 (and MM5) in portable mode.

I copied the MM.db to the MediaMonkey\Portable\ folder before I installed it, and MM did not update the database.

I then ensured there was a MediaMonkey shortcut in Start Menu\Programs pointing to the MediaMonkey4\mediamonkey.exe application. I started MM5 and still no update.

Is there a way to update a portable MM4 database? I don't mind re-scanning all my music, but I would prefer not to lose my playlists.
Last edited by skst on Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lifetime license since Nov 2006
Windows 10 Pro (latest)
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Make sure you name the database file MM5.db for MediaMonkey 5 installs.

https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/kno ... ini-files/
skst

Post by skst »

Thanks for your response. The MediaMonkey documentation is not very clear, but I do not see where it says to copy the MediaMonkey4 database (MM.db) into the MediaMonkey5 Portable folder and rename it to MM5.db. (It might work. I just can't find anything that says to do that.) The page you linked to provides information about where files are located, but I cannot find anything about upgrading from MediaMonkey4.

All I can find is this, which is not very specific:
MediaMonkey will offer to update the MediaMonkey 4 database from any MediaMonkey 4 regular installs found on your PC (for MediaMonkey 4 Portable Installs only if there is a shortcut to the MediaMonkey.exe from the MediaMonkey 4 install).
https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... ediaMonkey

I'm not sure which action solved it, but I deleted all files in the Portable folder (except MM.db which I copied from MediaMonkey4's Portable folder). I ran MediaMonkey5, and it created files in the Roaming folder (probably because I deleted MediaMonkey.ini which it uses to detect a portable installation--not the Portable folder). Exit MediaMonkey5. Delete Roaming\MediaMonkey5 folder. Re-install MM5 (as portable). Run MM5. Now it upgrades the MM.db (which I had copied into MM5's Portable folder).
Lifetime license since Nov 2006
Windows 10 Pro (latest)
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

skst wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:25 pm All I can find is this, which is not very specific:
MediaMonkey will offer to update the MediaMonkey 4 database from any MediaMonkey 4 regular installs found on your PC (for MediaMonkey 4 Portable Installs only if there is a shortcut to the MediaMonkey.exe from the MediaMonkey 4 install).
https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... ediaMonkey

I'm not sure which action solved it, but I deleted all files in the Portable folder (except MM.db which I copied from MediaMonkey4's Portable folder). I ran MediaMonkey5, and it created files in the Roaming folder (probably because I deleted MediaMonkey.ini which it uses to detect a portable installation--not the Portable folder). Exit MediaMonkey5. Delete Roaming\MediaMonkey5 folder. Re-install MM5 (as portable). Run MM5. Now it upgrades the MM.db (which I had copied into MM5's Portable folder).
Is good that you are going now.

I had the same frustration when converting to MM5.
Agree that the online help is very deficient in this area. It is a complex situation because it needs to address multiple scenarios. MM5 has smarts in this area, but when it falls down it leaves the user feeling lost & stupid.

But what is really needed is an install|Imporation wizard. to handle:
  • importation of settings and|or database, with a browse facility to locate them in situation where they are in custom locations, or multiple versions exist
  • something that could handle migration to|from portable installations
  • and migration to another computer
  • and moving the database to another location
  • as well as version upgrade
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
IanRTaylorUK

Post by IanRTaylorUK »

Barry4679 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:14 am
But what is really needed is an install|Imporation wizard. to handle:
  • importation of settings and|or database, with a browse facility to locate them in situation where they are in custom locations, or multiple versions exist
  • something that could handle migration to|from portable installations
  • and migration to another computer
  • and moving the database to another location
  • as well as version upgrade
And to pick up Artist / Composer / Publisher artwork! To download these uses a lot of bandwidth.
Ian Taylor
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

IanRTaylorUK wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:32 am And to pick up Artist / Composer / Publisher artwork! To download these uses a lot of bandwidth.
Yes, that is a good addition.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.