Play Now headers and Microplayer Horror!

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

Glenn62

Re: Play Now headers and Microplayer Horror!

Post by Glenn62 »

ImageImageFrankly, what good is the Playing window now? It is useless. It does nothing. It just shows a list with PLAYING above it. Why!? If i have to stop working on my library or making playlists in order to collate the playing list...what good is the playing list!? Before, i had the tree with access to function and playlists on the Left. I had a main center window to work in in the center. I had a Playing list with columns to access function for the playlist playing on the Right. Now it is a useless list.

I have deleted 5 and went back 4.....here are 2 images of clicking artwork to Play now list...and an image of the old Microplayer, which stopped working in 5! Even with Minimize to Microplayer, it minimizes to an icon. Removing function from the right PLAYING list is dumb.
I am good enough to finally fix everything myself and if i cannot, if 5 continues like this and i lose access to older versions, i will delete my Gold Lifetime for something that works for users and not developers.
Last edited by Glenn62 on Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
drakinite

Post by drakinite »

Glenn62 wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:11 pm Nobody used Add/Rescan to select folder to monitor. Folks USE THE OPTIONS...it is called because the OPTIONS are there! At least you admitted function was removed.
It's to keep things simpler. I had suggested that they bring back the File Monitor button as well, but their reasoning for making it just available via the File>Add/Rescan button is quite fair IMO. https://mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic ... 1&p=473847
Student electrical-computer engineer, web programmer, part-time MediaMonkey developer, full-time MediaMonkey enthusiast
I uploaded many addons to MM's addon page, but not all of those were created by me. "By drakinite, Submitted by drakinite" means I made it on my own time. "By Ventis Media, Inc., Submitted by drakinite" means it may have been made by me or another MediaMonkey developer, so instead of crediting/thanking me, please thank the team. You can still ask me for support on any of our addons.
drakinite

Post by drakinite »

Glenn62 wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:29 pm The play now window ALWAYS had columns and headers. How else do you remove an album from the play list in randomize mode!? I have used this app for years. The new build has done away with the columns. I USED them for years.
This is also for improved simplicity in the interface. They're not trying to destroy your workflow. Most people only want Artist, Album, Title and Rating in the now playing view, so it was designed around that to be aesthetically pleasing and compact. And if you want to use your own fields to view/sort the now playing list, as Lowlander mentioned, you can open the Playing node. You can enable it by right clicking on the media tree and clicking Edit Collections and Nodes.
Mediamonkey is very flexible, and the features you are angrily asking for are still there. They might just be in a slightly different spot, because it was redesigned to have less clutter and be easier to use.
Student electrical-computer engineer, web programmer, part-time MediaMonkey developer, full-time MediaMonkey enthusiast
I uploaded many addons to MM's addon page, but not all of those were created by me. "By drakinite, Submitted by drakinite" means I made it on my own time. "By Ventis Media, Inc., Submitted by drakinite" means it may have been made by me or another MediaMonkey developer, so instead of crediting/thanking me, please thank the team. You can still ask me for support on any of our addons.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

rusty wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:35 pm 1) The formatting of the 'Playing' list was changed so that more information could fit more compactly and so that they don't need to be adjusted continually based on the type of content playing.
If there is any benefit from the change, it does come at the expense of being able to intuitively sort or interact with the active list queue by any chosen tag.
That seems like a net loss to me.

The frustration is amplified by the fact that the Playing panel does have a context menu control labelled "layout" ... but that control does not allow alteration of the layout, because MM5 has lost this facility.
Lowlander wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:17 pm 1) The Playing window doesn't have Columns, thus no column headers. Instead, you can use the Playing node in the Media Tree and you'll have the normal column layout.
The repositioning of this functionality, to a node off the Media Tree, effectively hides it for new or casual users.
I can understand the OP's frustration.

Suggestion: Replace the "Layout" option in the Playing panel's context menu, with a "Playing Details" control that opens the Media Tree's Playing node.
This will aid discovery for new or casual users IMO.

But it still feels like a kludge to overcome removal of the facility from where it was previously ... and where it seems to belong intuitively.

rusty wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:35 pm If there are fields that you'd like to see, go to Options > Player > Playback rules and set the display format based on content type. e.g.
for Music: $if(<Artist>,<Artist> - ,)<Title>
for Classical: $if(<Composer>,<Composer> - ,$if(<Artist>,<Artist> - ,))<Title>
Which panels should be affected by this option setting? It only seems to affect the Player panel ... ie. the single track that is displayed in the bottom panel.
The Op is asking about the the Playing panel which is normally displayed on the rhs.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Glenn62

Post by Glenn62 »

drakinite wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:10 am
Glenn62 wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:29 pm The play now window ALWAYS had columns and headers. How else do you remove an album from the play list in randomize mode!? I have used this app for years. The new build has done away with the columns. I USED them for years.
This is also for improved simplicity in the interface. They're not trying to destroy your workflow. Most people only want Artist, Album, Title and Rating in the now playing view, so it was designed around that to be aesthetically pleasing and compact. And if you want to use your own fields to view/sort the now playing list, as Lowlander mentioned, you can open the Playing node. You can enable it by right clicking on the media tree and clicking Edit Collections and Nodes.
Mediamonkey is very flexible, and the features you are angrily asking for are still there. They might just be in a slightly different spot, because it was redesigned to have less clutter and be easier to use.
Dude, What do you mean MOST PEOPLE WANT!? How do you know that!? There are NO COLUMNS AT ALL in Playing Now. Im guessing you haven't read this thread. I already explained how these changes are not improvements but actually issue LESS FUNCTION for no reason. so whatever.
Glenn62

Post by Glenn62 »

drakinite wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:10 am
OKAY, please STOP if you are not an admin or expert. I already explained how this is NOT SIMPLIFYING anything! Yes, i LOVE MMG because it is better but that does not mean i have to be HAPPY with these stupid changes!
Glenn62

Post by Glenn62 »

Barry4679 wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:56 pm
rusty wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:35 pm 1) The formatting of the 'Playing' list was changed so that more information could fit more compactly and so that they don't need to be adjusted continually based on the type of content playing.
If there is any benefit from the change, it does come at the expense of being able to intuitively sort or interact with the active list queue by any chosen tag.
That seems like a net loss to me.

The frustration is amplified by the fact that the Playing panel does have a context menu control labelled "layout" ... but that control does not allow alteration of the layout, because MM5 has lost this facility.
Lowlander wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:17 pm 1) The Playing window doesn't have Columns, thus no column headers. Instead, you can use the Playing node in the Media Tree and you'll have the normal column layout.
The repositioning of this functionality, to a node off the Media Tree, effectively hides it for new or casual users.
I can understand the OP's frustration.

Suggestion: Replace the "Layout" option in the Playing panel's context menu, with a "Playing Details" control that opens the Media Tree's Playing node.
This will aid discovery for new or casual users IMO.

But it still feels like a kludge to overcome removal of the facility from where it was previously ... and where it seems to belong intuitively.

rusty wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:35 pm If there are fields that you'd like to see, go to Options > Player > Playback rules and set the display format based on content type. e.g.
for Music: $if(<Artist>,<Artist> - ,)<Title>
for Classical: $if(<Composer>,<Composer> - ,$if(<Artist>,<Artist> - ,))<Title>
Which panels should be affected by this option setting? It only seems to affect the Player panel ... ie. the single track that is displayed in the bottom panel.
The Op is asking about the the Playing panel which is normally displayed on the rhs.
Thank You! I am not here to whine. I am a longtime user and not an idiot. Less functionality is WORSE. My problem is a i am not by nature a kind and friendly sheeple and am trying to effect positive change to these poor changes. Not here to make friends but to solve real problems. There are different views. Coders and designers often go astray. I am a USER. I bought Gold Lifetime because i have loved this app for years but there have been problems. I just want to see some logic behind these changes FOR USERS not developers! I don't care about their plans to conquer the world like other Software folks...i want a STABLE library/layer that works, that collates data efficiently and works quickly. I don't like being here. I don't hang out on forums for entertainment.
Glenn62

Post by Glenn62 »

The Playing List NONFUNCTIONAL Nothing is not the only problem i have. The Layout feature is pure nothing! It states DRAG to panel....whatever...but there is nothing at all to drag. Folks keep talking about appearance but there is nothing at all that changes the RHS Playing list.

Maybe MM folks can explain how losing the function of CLICKING Artwork to push an album into the RHS Playing list is an improvement!?!? How is MORE clicks and functions BETTER than less!? If anyone can explain how LESS functionality is MORE functionality...i will vote Democrat in 2022~!
Last edited by Glenn62 on Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Glenn62

Post by Glenn62 »

drakinite wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:51 am
Glenn62 wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:11 pm Nobody used Add/Rescan to select folder to monitor. Folks USE THE OPTIONS...it is called because the OPTIONS are there! At least you admitted function was removed.
It's to keep things simpler. I had suggested that they bring back the File Monitor button as well, but their reasoning for making it just available via the File>Add/Rescan button is quite fair IMO. https://mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic ... 1&p=473847
So, taking things OUT of Options makes it easier to use features that are options!? How is that sane?!
Glenn62

Post by Glenn62 »

drakinite wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:51 am
There you go! There are less than stellar folks making stupid decisions. this reminds me of Win 10 which ADDS COMPLEXITY for no reason! In fact, it is a really dumb thing, developing a entire new SETTINGS page AND the original Control Panel! How is DIVIDING the OS into more areas hiding functions better than less?! Please do not follow this stupidity! I do GIVE A SHIT about function to other whatever...podcasts...whatever...i am a user of an MP3 player/Library better than Itunes and the rest. New functions i am not interested in at the expense of everyday function that sorts my huge library, is flexible, strong, does not lose tracks, allows me to alter the playing list IR...that is what i care about!
Last edited by Glenn62 on Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
drakinite

Post by drakinite »

Take a chill pill bro
Glenn62

Post by Glenn62 »

drakinite wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:17 am Take a chill pill bro
I will, when you stop posting shit that is a waste of time without reading down the thread and understanding the complaints.
drakinite

Post by drakinite »

I most certainly did read the thread. And you're acting very angry about something very minor.
Glenn62

Re: Now it's time to clarify the point of MM5

Post by Glenn62 »

Lowlander wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:26 am Yes, MediaMonkey 5 is an upgrade to MediaMonkey 4. It is a complete rewrite to prepare for a cross platform future as well as contains bug fixes.

What's new/different: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... 7s_New/5.0
Shared Addons/Plugins: https://www.mediamonkey.com/addons/brow ... onkey-4-5/

Which is better, is a personal evaluation.
No sir, 5 is just confusion, having ZERO added function (for power users) and more complexity that benefits nobody. 5 takes AWAY function from the playing list, does away with easy artwork clicks to add albums to playing list, HIDES THE MONITOR FUNCTION out of OPTION to the seldom used ADD/rescan which has always been useless. I have grayed out tracks, missing tracks...and that function has never found shit. Also the LOCATE function has always been useless unless you want to spend a year going through a 500G music folder!
Also, The columns have never collated properly...IE collate Recently added and it gives VERBATIM added...of no use for album sakes...tracks are spewed up and down. Also, start MM in Album Artist mode and it shows me BERG...a composer THAT NEVER collates correctly in this app! I have ALL SOLO artists, Bands, and Composers as Album Artists. All apps seem to want ARTISTS to mean players on albums and i dont care about that. I want BANDS, Beethoven, Solo Artists! That is what i want. BUT Opening to Album Artist gives me some kind of retarded view. I have to collate AA to get tracks in order! WHY!?! And WHY does this app NEVER REMEMBER settings!? The new 5 app keeps showing me SUMMARY! I DO NOT WANY IT there...but everytime i open it...there is fricking SUMMARY taking up space when i have Artwork/AA/Album/Track#/Track...etc.!?

Not just that...MM ADDS tracks ALREADY there to recently added and loses tracks clearly visible on HDD. It also never goes back to previous locations...resets to original view...this is really annoying as it makes you not want to access tracks. Click back and it goes NOT to your last location but to start view! ANNOYING, like commenting on FB and then going all the way back to the latest posts, NOT where you were viewing.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Glenn62 wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:55 pm I don't hang out on forums for entertainment.
OK, but you have made your point multiple times, and are getting aggressive. ... It starting to look like you are getting "entertainment"
It seems inevitable that someone is going to start deleting posts, or banning you, if you continue this way.

Nobody who matters, in a decision making sense, has responded since it become clear exactly what your issue is.
You should wait until they respond.

You should also know that the MM5 beta has been running for 3 or 4 years.
Release in immanent.
It is unlikely that they will be able to make any significant structural change at this point, even if they did agree with your point.

My initial response to many of the MM5 changes was pretty much the same as yours. It is annoying to be disorientated within a familiar tool.
I have moderated my view on many of the sticking issues as I learnt MM5, and got to understand the advantages.
On a few other points I am still unhappy, but my overall feeling is that on-the-whole MM5 is a significant improvement. ... You essentially said the same thing in your 1st sentence in this thread.

I am hopeful that the last few points will get tidied up for version 5.1, after they get a bit more feedback like yours, and they find that not every new idea was a good one.

Re click Art to play.

They have largely used the "click" action to drill down for more information.
Which is an improvement IMO. ... A big long Media Tree was a crappy way of navigating IMO.

I think that you will get the play action that you are wanting, if your switch from "click" ==> alt&Enter key
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.