Using mapped drive with TAP/TUN vpn adaptor breaks file path.

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

SlamdogUK

Using mapped drive with TAP/TUN vpn adaptor breaks file path.

Post by SlamdogUK »

Hi all,

Just a quick one. I have migrated from 4 to 5 beta (clean install) and the main issue is that I can add files to the database from my windows server (domain network here, server 2016) and it uses the mapped drive perfectly. I can then shut don MM5 and the next time I fire up it has lost the path, even though it still shows the mapped drive in the list of drives in the tree.

Now, If I disconnect the VPN on the TAP/TUN before opening MM5 it all works flawlessly but if I have the VPN running it will not find the path. Before everyone says use the unc path, the network only shows the local machine in the tree if the vpn is active which by preference is 24/7 and it cannot find other machines. As I say, if the vpn is not connected before I start the program everything is fine.

This was never an issue on version 4 so I am wondering what has changed in the network side of the software.

Side issue... why is MM5 still showing as 32 bit not 64?
Lowlander

Re: Using mapped drive with TAP/TUN vpn adaptor breaks file path.

Post by Lowlander »

MediaMonkey uses driveID instead of drive letter so maybe the VPN is interfering with that?

64 bit doesn't provide a big performance improvement for this type of program, but would have impact on development. Actually noticed recently that an awful lot of programs including those from Microsoft are still 32 bit.
SlamdogUK

Post by SlamdogUK »

Lowlander wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:31 pm MediaMonkey uses driveID instead of drive letter so maybe the VPN is interfering with that?

64 bit doesn't provide a big performance improvement for this type of program, but would have impact on development. Actually noticed recently that an awful lot of programs including those from Microsoft are still 32 bit.
I'm guessing that is the problem because the drive is not physically in this machine but on a general stand alone windows server so it can be accessed by the whole family without affecting the performance of the machine I use on the vpn by hitting the local drives while I'm trying to perform other intensive tasks such as video editing. The drive is still accessible in windows though, just that the whole of the network internally is invisible to mediamonkey 5 while a vpn is running. This may or may not be a bigger issue with the rise in vpn use for general browsing and listening to music in the background that is stored on a networked device such as a media server NAS

The 64bit thing was just a curious question, not any important thing, it just didn't click that the software wouldn't perform much better as 64 bit.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You can remap the drive in MediaMonkey 5: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... sign_Drive
SlamdogUK

Post by SlamdogUK »

Lowlander wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:07 am You can remap the drive in MediaMonkey 5: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... sign_Drive
Many thanks for that, I shall give it a go.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Note, this is not a real solution as you may need to do this each time you're working with the VPN.

The key point is that MediaMonkey works with driveID, and I don't know how/why your VPN would interfere with that. Also it's strange that it works with MMW4 (maybe retest if this is still the case) and not with MMW5.

However I also don't understand that if you don't have access the local network when the VPN is active how you're connected to the network share that's mapped in MMW4. If the VPN blocks the local network, then I wouldn't expect this to work either.
SlamdogUK

Post by SlamdogUK »

Lowlander wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:07 am You can remap the drive in MediaMonkey 5: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... sign_Drive

No, that only applies to a disconnected drive. The drive letter is still in place for changing tags in the location section and the database doesn't think that the drive is disconnected.

I can add a location using the unc path though and this seems to have cured the issue by converting the missing location to the UNC path.

Many thanks again for all your help. Much appreciated.