[REQ] MM5 equivalents/approximations to MM4 features? [#17826]

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

MMFrLife

[REQ] MM5 equivalents/approximations to MM4 features? [#17826]

Post by MMFrLife »

Is there an MM5 equivalent to,
MM4's Options > Appearance > Show Links in File List > drop down menu of various stores/music info sites?

If so does it now include links to Allmusic and/or Discogs.
It seems like these were mentioned/requested for MM4 but there was/are issues with the interfaces
of those sites. (?)
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
😜
Lowlander

Re: MM5 equivalents/approximations to M4 features?

Post by Lowlander »

MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

I decided to take the plunge and try 5 out by installing it on my backup computer. I last tried it out during early alpha.

First major question I have is, how do I move the Playlist, Art Details (equiv?), and player panels around for a custom layout?
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
😜
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Tools > Options > Layout
and drag&drop the items between individual panels.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

MMFrLife wrote: ↑Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:01 am First major question I have is, how do I move the Playlist, Art Details (equiv?), and player panels around for a custom layout?
Open View>Layout menu item.
There is limited ability to move panels between locations.
You move the panels by dragging their name, and the icon mouse icon will show you whether the move is allowed.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

Thanks for the help!

It should have been obvious to me, but I forgot to just look at the Layout heading for 'general section' options.
I was fiddling around in the Playlist sub-option. :roll:

Pros:
Superior way of doing it than MM4
- disadvantage is no direct access to manipulating panels, but the major advantage is no need to be ultra precise in the
way you move things around, which avoids accidents/frustration.

Cons:
@ Barry4679, no kidding when you say it is limited.
@Ludek, I will eliminate this as a con if you tell me there is more planned for this (probably mentioned elsewhere),
and it will be in less than 6 mos. I moved panels around (MM4) ad nauseam back when, and finally settled on having the
former Play Now and A&Ds views horizontally next to each other above the former(?) file list and below the Player (at top).
It has been "years" since it was any other way. So, that is the expansion of functionality I'm looking for (screenshot upon request).
😜
MMFrLife

Re: MM5 equivalents/approximations to MM4 features?

Post by MMFrLife »

Are toolbar buttons planned for the future, or am I missing something?
😜
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

MMFrLife wrote: ↑Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:36 pm Are toolbar buttons planned for the future, or am I missing something?
Install the Sql editor add-on from drakinite.
He implements a Toolbar button somehow.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

Barry4679 wrote: ↑Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:30 pm Install the Sql editor add-on from drakinite.
He implements a Toolbar button somehow.
"a" toolbar button?...for that addon?

No, I don't mean is MM5 just capable of allowing any kind of toolbar button. I mean, how toolbar
buttons are a feature in MM4.

right click most any border > Configure > multiple toolbar buttons ranging from
nearly every option in all the standard menus (file, edit, view, etc.+ properties, options, etc.)

A real customizer's paradise! :wink:
😜
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

MMFrLife wrote: ↑Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:05 am "a" toolbar button?...for that addon?

No, I don't mean is MM5 just capable of allowing any kind of toolbar button. I mean, how toolbar
buttons are a feature in MM4.

right click most any border > Configure > multiple toolbar buttons ranging from
nearly every option in all the standard menus (file, edit, view, etc.+ properties, options, etc.)
Maybe you mean a Menu Bar button? ie. the top row.

And yes that addon does create a custom button.

They (MM5 Designers) seem focused upon keeping the Tool bar mostly empty.
They auto-close the Contextual Search when it is emptied, which marginally comprises its function, and interferes with discoverability.

I think the aim is leave plenty of space for the breadcrumb menu to grow. The deliverable from that is that we can regain space for the Main Panel, by leaving the Left Hand panel closed even when navigating.
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

Did you use the 'toolbars' option in MM4?
Barry4679 wrote:Maybe you mean a Menu Bar button? ie. the top row.
The 'Toolbars' in "toolbars > configure" doesn't refer to any
particular toolbar. It refers to the ability to make your own custom
toolbar out of the various options provided by the options in the Menu bar
and others.

When you make them you don't have to put them on an already designated toolbar,
you just put them wherever you want, even on vertical panel borders, tops, bottoms,
everywhere.
Barry4679 wrote:...that addon does create a custom button.
It can be customized?

Maybe you are referring to the same thing but I can't tell.
Does this ring a bell from your MM4 experience?
😜
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

MMFrLife wrote: ↑Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:04 am Did you use the 'toolbars' option in MM4?
I played with them, but that feels like a lifetime ago now.
So, yeah, I was confused.
I originally thought that you were asking a question, as a Add-on Developer, about whether a button could be added to the MM5 UI. I was just saying that drakinite seemed to have achieved that.

It is weird that a green fields complete redevelopment of MM4 has gone backwards in some areas of UI flexibility. ie:
  • lost the option to put the "Selected" or "Now Playing" panels in the top or bottom panel ... weird, why even have the top panel? There is a strong Use case for putting Selected in a top panel.
  • lost the option to undock the Now Playing panel to its own separate Window .. weird. It seems to me that more people have multiple screens these days.
  • then, as you point out, lost the option to create custom toolbars too ... personally I am not !00% convinced about the Use Case for this, but you seem to have found it useful.