Duplicates & Deletions

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

wazzer150864

Duplicates & Deletions

Post by wazzer150864 »

Hi, I have been using MM5 for a few weeks now and have an issue I can't seem to resolve.

If I scan a folder to add new songs, some of the track titles import twice. If I click play, they both show as playing suggesting it is the same file and not a duplicate file.

If I try to delete one of the entries while the other is playing, it says that file is playing.

If I delete one or both, it completely deletes them from my PC. I used to get an option to just delete from Library, now it is just Delete. I have to go to my recycle bin to restore the track(s).

Q.1 How do I stop the track information being pulled through to the library twice when scanning?

Q.2 How can I delete from Library only and not from the PC folder?

Thanks

Paul
Barry4679

Re: Duplicates & Deletions

Post by Barry4679 »

Hi Paul, which version are you using (See Help>About box)?
Here is the latest (BETA) version.
A number of people are using it already, including myself.

A couple of longshot thoughts:
wazzer150864 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:31 am Q.1 How do I stop the track information being pulled through to the library twice when scanning?
Click somewhere in the main panel, and press the ins key. This shows the Add/Rescan panel.
How many locations have you registered as being media locations?
Maybe you have the same location registered twice. Each with a different path format?

wazzer150864 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:31 am Q.2 How can I delete from Library only and not from the PC folder?
You should see this.
Go to Tools>Options>General>Confirmations .
I have all options checked excepting the 64 character limitation warning.

If this is the cause of the missing confirmation message, you should report it, because none of those options look like they should expose the User as you describe.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
wazzer150864

Post by wazzer150864 »

Hi Barry,

Thanks for the suggestions. I attempted to set up the BETA version but that lead to a number of on-screan errors

"An error occurred while trying to replace the existing file: DeleteFile Failed; Code 5. Access Denied."

I clicked the retry option but the same message appears. There is a skip option that also says Not Recommended', so I chose to cancel. I followed the and completed the request boxes for information on the error which I assume auto-submit to the MM Support Team.

After this MM would not open, even after a reboot of the PC. I had to delete MM and re-install it. I have therefore not loaded the BETA version.

Having checked the Confirmations settings, I have all the ones you have ticked. However, I am still only seeing an option to Delete the file completely.

Maybe it is best to wait for an official update to be released before I try and fix this!

Paul
divilsp33d

Post by divilsp33d »

Have you tried using the "Files to edit" section on the left and clicking on "duplicates content" then right click on the the duplicate files click remove and it should pop up with two options: "Remove from library" or "Remove from library and delete file"
Currently own FIIO M7
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

wazzer150864 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:03 am Maybe it is best to wait for an official update to be released before I try and fix this!
OK, but there is no problem installing the beta.

There is some problem deleting MM because the Windows Operating System has some inconsequential file open. I can't remember which, but maybe it is DeskPlayer.dll

You could install the beta entirely contained in a standalone folder of your own choice ... this is what a "portable" install is, as offered during any install of MM. A portable install will offer to import data and settings from your MM4 installation, but it never reaches out to touch anything outside of the folder that you install it in. ... If you are choosing a portable install you should make a new folder for it, and not install it over the top of any existing MM installation.

Also the two suggestions that I made were independent of whether you upgraded to the beta.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Make sure MediaMonkey is closed (check Task Manager) before installing the update as otherwise files being replaced by the update may still be in use: https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/kno ... or-code-5/

Is there anything particular about the drive you're scanning files from?
wazzer150864

Post by wazzer150864 »

Thank you for your help Barry and Lowlander.

I'm not too tech savvy and so I will await an update release in the future.

Cheers

Paul
1001Musik

Post by 1001Musik »

I also struggle with the double songs and am not happy with it.
My list shows all the same songs, but almost all of them have different artists. Why is there no list that only shows me the same songs with the same artist?
WiFi Syncing
MM Gold 5.1.0.2813 auf Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit "portable Installation"
MM Android 2.0.0.1099 Pro auf folgenden Geräten

Samsung S23 Ultra / Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab S8 Ultra
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Music > Files to Edit > Duplicate Titles/Artist does this: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... 2F_Artists
Joe2

Post by Joe2 »

I have the same problem. It seems so as if each song is shown twice or three times. To delete that manually is work for hours...

How do I get rid of the entries in this lists which only exist once (because I already deleted the second / third entry)?
Joe2

Post by Joe2 »

Hi Lowlander,

thank you for the link but I already saw that in the post above.
I now found why all my songs exist twice but I don't know how to solve that. Always when I scan the drive for new files MM5 adds the drive a second time with all songs. I checked the properties of the first drive in MM5 and there everything seems to be ok.
Any idea why this drive is added a second time?

The label is different between both drives in MM5. I checked the label in explorer and it's the same than in my first drive in MM5.
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

I had that happen when I cloned my drive to an SSD, and it seemed to re-find all my songs all over again. It seems (maybe) it considers the drive name as part of the identification.

In this case, when I played them, the first copy became greyed out, as it was no longer found. I was able to sort by date added, and bulk-delete all the older ones. It stayed fixed after that.

So, not sure if this is similar to your issue. You could try and delete a few of the older ones, and then re-scan to see if bot versions come back.

If they do, then maybe under folders to scan, you have somehow referenced the same folder twice??
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Do check if both copies play.

If you see 2 drives in Music > Location you can delete one drive, however proceed with caution as this may remove files from Playlists too.

Has anything been changed hardware wise on your PC recently?
Joe2

Post by Joe2 »

I use the same database with my laptop and my PC. Always I change the hardware I change the drive in the properties of the drive in the database.

I tried a lot of things and now I only have one drive in the database and a new scan does not create a second drive.
But I have a lot of songs twice. If I start one playing both get the color for the currently running song.
Is there no possibility to clean the database automatically?

I tried to delete some files manually but if I make a new scan some of them appear again.
Joe2

Post by Joe2 »

So, I made the big step:
I deleted my whole database and imported everything new. I had the luck that I have nearly all my playlists also as m3u files. I think the database was damaged and this step to make the database new was the best thing.