Running MM independent of computer

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

BigPedro

Running MM independent of computer

Post by BigPedro »

Hi, I have my music library on an old laptop (and it's a stinker, takes 30 minutes to boot up, runs like a dog, but all my music is on it) and I was wondering if there was any way to host my music library somewhere else such as a QNAP NAS or even via Google Drive, so I'm not dependent on my old laptop?

Cheers
Pete
Lowlander

Re: Running MM independent of computer

Post by Lowlander »

MediaMonkey 5 depends on a computer and for a user interface it's required. There is MediaMonkey Server (in Alpha release) which can run on a NAS, but you'd still need MediaMonkey 5 on your PC: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=90809
BigPedro

Post by BigPedro »

Thanks for the quick reply. In the meantime is it easy to move the library from my laptop? I have a work laptop so I'm wondering if I moved my music files to Google drive the install the portable version of MM to my work laptop (as IT won't let me install full software) and connect it to the Google drive library? Then I can sync my android phone via that and finally ditch my old laptop?
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

BigPedro wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:44 pm Thanks for the quick reply. In the meantime is it easy to move the library from my laptop? I have a work laptop so I'm wondering if I moved my music files to Google drive the install the portable version of MM to my work laptop (as IT won't let me install full software) and connect it to the Google drive library? Then I can sync my android phone via that and finally ditch my old laptop?
When you say "move the library" do you mean move your track collection, or move your MM database?

MM5 can sync your tracks to Google drive.
And you can move a portable version of MediaMonkey from your laptop clunker onto your work laptop.

That will allow you to use MM on the work PC, and you will be able to play your Google Drive hosted tracks, from home or any other location.

It is relatively easy to setup, but the documentation is fairly basic:
https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... rvices/5.0

I can help you if you have problems.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
BigPedro

Post by BigPedro »

Thank you so much, I did mean my music files and the library. I will check out the instructions and have a tinker, thank you for your help
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

BigPedro wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:06 pm Thank you so much, I did mean my music files and the library. I will check out the instructions and have a tinker, thank you for your help
IMO it is best if the library (aka database) stays on the PC ... in the case you mentioned it would be migrated to the work PC, inside the MM portable installation.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.