Best procedure for getting Original Date metadata

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

sordup

Best procedure for getting Original Date metadata

Post by sordup »

Is there one?
I generally prefer the date of original recording/release (and composition date for Classical) to be my Date criteria. I'm sure I'm not alone in this and probably have seen discussions here elsewhere some years ago, but have forgotten or never figured it out...

How do we get this Original Date through Auto-tag? It is not offered as an option in the field chooser...

...and "Date" always defaults to release date. As the vast majority of my tracks don't even have the Original Date data populated, is it possible to get this Date field to default to Original Date?
But if this Original Date isn't even offered as a Auto-tag option, is it to be assumed that it is metadata that is not always available in general? In this case, is the only way to get original date in the (unpopulated) Original Date column in MMW, or even to get it to default to the Date column, to first know this date or individually search it out and then manually edit the tags??
In MMW4 we could choose which fields Auto-tag would update/replace with little check boxes by each category and Original Date was an available field in both DiscCogs and MusicBrainz. This appears not possible in MMW5. Is this so???
Last edited by sordup on Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lowlander

Re: Best procedure for getting Original Date metadata

Post by Lowlander »

The database used by Auto-Tag doesn't feature this information. So it this point it would be a manual job until someone develops an Addon that can get this information reliably from another source.
sordup

Post by sordup »

Lowlander wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:56 am The database used by Auto-Tag doesn't feature this information. So it this point it would be a manual job until someone develops an Addon that can get this information reliably from another source.
This seems strange to me. If I go back to my MMW4 and choose "Auto-tag from web" and the MusicBrainz server, it shows Original Date as an available field. Why would MMW5 not be able to see this using the same server?? Why deprecate the ability to do more?

Then this brings up the question. If I continue to use MMW4 for this (to me) greater ability, will the changes made there translate over to the files when viewed in MMW5?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

In MediaMonkey 4 the build in Auto-Tag from Web no longer works. This means you're likely using a Third Party Addon. Are you sure it is using MusicBrainz and not for example Discogs?
sordup

Post by sordup »

Here's the MusicBrainz server in MMW4 which I just used and successfully updated my chosen tags with...

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I don't if that original date is related to the Album or to the files on the Album. I'm not seeing this being available per file on MusicBrainz: https://musicbrainz.org/release/f5dc3fe ... 768946b46d
sordup

Post by sordup »

Hmmm. I dunno. I do know that I checked off the Original Date field in that window (after I took the image capture), clicked on "Auto-tag", and it updated the Original Date tag on each of the files....
sordup

Post by sordup »

Here's another, visual, example:

First choosing only the Original Date field (which was currently blank) to be updated in each file/track...

I then applied it, and the Original Date fields were updated in each track as desired/expected...

Now this is, of course, with MMW4 and MusicBrainz, but I wonder
  • Why can MMW5 not do this with MusicBrainz?and...
  • Can I then get this updated data to transfer from the MMW4 database to the MMW5 database?
    (I re-scanned the folder from the above example in MMW5, and the updated Original Date field did not populate for whatever reason)
I must say that being able to choose from the various different tag-field options with the individuated check boxes was certainly a plus if one wanted to only update single or specific tag-fields. Why has this ability and the greater number of choices been taken away? (I suppose that is a MusicBrainz issue?)
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I'm not sure the information is accurate. Original Date is used by many as the original date the track was released, it seems you're getting the Original Date for the Album instead.
sordup

Post by sordup »

Lowlander wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:25 pm I'm not sure the information is accurate. Original Date is used by many as the original date the track was released, it seems you're getting the Original Date for the Album instead.
I'm not sure I follow you. They are the same. The original release of the track is the same as it's original release on the album.
This is the data I am desiring in any case - a track's original release date on it's album's original release date.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

That isn't necessarily true. A track could've been released previously on an earlier Album or EP, this Track Original Date and Album Original Date don't always match. The Track Original Date doesn't seem to be made available by MusicBrainz.
sordup

Post by sordup »

.... and I find that I can use Picard/MusicBrainz to get this desired data and write it to the file(s), and then re-scan the folder(s)/file(s) in MMW5 to get the desired result displayed.

I guess I don't understand why, if other ID taggers (including MMW4) can use MusicBrainz to get specific data, why can MMW5 not do this as well. ??
sordup

Post by sordup »

Lowlander wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:37 pm That isn't necessarily true. A track could've been released previously on an earlier Album or EP, this Track Original Date and Album Original Date don't always match. The Track Original Date doesn't seem to be made available by MusicBrainz.
This indicates otherwise, doesn't it??

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

No, the screenshot doesn't show that. It shows Original Release Date, but doesn't show if it's using a Track release date instead of Album release date.
sordup

Post by sordup »

...and yes I understand that there are re-releases of albums with different dates of the original release of the track, but... In general, the original historical release date of an album's specific tracks will match the date of that specific album's historically original release. In any case, that is the data I am after for the most part, and it seems to be fairly well covered in this Original Release Date tag provided by MusicBrainz. By "proofreading" results I generally can tell if there is a discrepancy myself and make alterations before committing to a batch update.

I can imagine that this particular issue would be a common one in the music library geek world. Strange that it's so.... strange.