MM5 crashing when at startup. DB file can not be moved

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

richiefinger

MM5 crashing when at startup. DB file can not be moved

Post by richiefinger »

I've been using MM5 on a fairly old laptop and have regularly had error messages and MM5 crashing.
I always put it down to the laptop running out of processing power as it usually happens when a 3rd party program is trying to access my external drive at the same time.

Today MM5 chucked up a few error messages when it started up. I didn't manage to write them down.
I tried restarting but MM5 will just hang on startup and not even load.
I've tried disconnecting the external drive with the music on, but same result.

I decided to do a fresh install and went to copy my db file, but on trying to copy the MediaMonkey5 folder in appdata I got the following error message in W10. "Error 0x8007045D: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error. This happened whilst trying to copy the db file, all the other files copied ok.
I know it mentioned I/O error in one of the MediaMonkey error messages.

If I delete this db file what info do I lose?
Are the playlists in this file?
Everything else like ratings,playcount,skips etc I'm not bothered about.
From my tests I've done before all other info is saved in the tags, is this correct?

Ideally I'd like to save the playlists, but I'm happy to just re scan in all the tracks and create a new database.

Any ideas whats gone wrong? And how best to go about fixing?
MM5 - 5.0.1.2433
Lowlander

Re: MM5 crashing when at startup. DB file can not be moved

Post by Lowlander »

Please capture this in a debug log (step 4b) and attach the log to a Support Ticket: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86643

This will help a developer analyze why this happens in your setup.

Playlists are stored in the database file. Are you sure the drive is not failing? Have you tried connecting it to a different USB port on the laptop?
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

richiefinger wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:28 am I decided to do a fresh install and went to copy my db file, but on trying to copy the MediaMonkey5 folder in appdata I got the following error message in W10. "Error 0x8007045D: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error. This happened whilst trying to copy the db file, all the other files copied ok.
If you can't make a copy of your database file using an external program, I wouldn't bother trying to obtain debug log.

It would be a better use of your time if you Googled "Windows Disk Failure", or something like that.

The Windows utility that detects and tries to repair some limited forms of file damage is called CHKDSK.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
richiefinger

Post by richiefinger »

I tried running a portable install on the same machine.
It crashed when importing for the first time.
I went into task manager and realised Windows Defender is hogging the processor/ram.
I think because of the amount of times my original install has crashed it's corrupted the database file as it wont load at all now.

I turned off windows defender and turned internet off and the laptop is working like a dream. But Original install of MM5 wont load.
The library has been rebuilt in the portable install by rescanning in all the tracks.
I've lost playlists but I was tidying those anyway.

So next question: Can I sync to MMA using this new install without having to delete all the tracks on MMA and reupload them?
512GB SD Card is nearly maxxed out, takes about a week to re-upload them :)
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

MediaMonkey should match the files (however it is always better to use the original database) when Syncing the same files to the device. Set MediaMonkey to delete All other media files. There will be a confirmation what Sync will delete. If it seems to want to delete all files and resync you can cancel Sync.

Sync: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... Tracks/5.0
richiefinger

Post by richiefinger »

Tried it, Didn't match. It never does. Even if you change one file.
Had to delete everything and start clean....still deleting !