Abandoning MM5

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

paulmarkj

Abandoning MM5

Post by paulmarkj »

Sadly, I am having to give up MM5 - it just doesn't work as well as MM4 for me.

Hopefully the bugs will be fixed and the and missing features will be put back!

These may sound minor to some, but they are essential to me:

- 'last played' time should be updated even if I have play only part of the song, (I have setting to make it update when 10% of the song is play, but it only updates when the song completes).
- I cannot create a custom report.
- and many others.

I shall return next year to see if it has improved.
Lowlander

Re: Abandoning MM5

Post by Lowlander »

1) Last Played is by design: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... ip_Counter

2) Custom Report is a Third Party Addon. It may take time for Addon developers to create new Addons like this for MediaMonkey 5.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Lowlander wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:34 pm 1) Last Played is by design: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... ip_Counter
I suggest you review what you have written in the section titled "The Play & Skip Counter"
What is written there makes no sense (to me), and seems inaccurate.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
MiPi

Post by MiPi »

Last played behavior is planned to change soon, tracked as: https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=16977
pawpawwalt

Post by pawpawwalt »

I too have given up on MM 5. And this is after I purchased the Version 5.x license. The auto-organize files routine has caused a multitude of headaches for me. The worst one occurred while I was attempting to trouble-shoot its failure to copy files to a new location. On a whim, I tried to copy files to an existing location - only to discover that MM 5 deleted the existing files after displaying an error message informing me that it could not COPY the files. Good thing I never got rid of MM 4 because I used it to restore all the files that MM 5 had made disappear.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
pawpawwalt wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:41 pm On a whim, I tried to copy files to an existing location - only to discover that MM 5 deleted the existing files after displaying an error message informing me that it could not COPY the files.
I have tested both MM5 and MM4 and it behaves correctly no files are deleted prior to confirmed move. NOTE: that COPY do not Delete original file in any way. I am not sure how you managed to delete file using copy function in Auto Organize.
Here is what I have done:
1. Started indows explorer
2. Created C:\Temp folder
3. Created c:\Temp\Blocked folder
4. Right clicked on "Blocked" folder -> Permissions
5. Under Security Tab clicked Advanced
6. Disabled Inheritance (deleted all inheritence)
7. Clicked add -> Select Principal -> Advanced -> Find No -> Selected Everyone
8. Disabled Full control, Modify, Write (See Pic below how it should looks) -> Apply -> OK
9. Tried to copy any file to Blocked folder using windows explorer and it fail.
10. Started MM5/4 and selected any Media File
11. Right click on file -> Auto Organize
12. In destination mask I Selected main folder c:\Temp\Blocked\ so that mask no state "C:\Temp\Blocked\<Artist> - <Title>"
13. Selected MOVE files to destination and disabled Delete Emptied folder
14. Press OK
15. MM shows Can't copy file dialog and no matter what I select original file is not deleted.

I also tried to Drag and Drop files to move them to C:\Temp\Blocked (Using folder Browser[ MM5], My computer tree node [MM4]) and in all cases MM showed can't copy file to c:\temp\Blocked\ and original file is left untouched.

If what you are right, then it is a serious problem and will be addressed immediately. Can you please explain steps on how you managed to delete original file in MM using MOVE in MM. NOTE Copy is not deleting the original file as it just uses plain Copy/Paste method?

Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts