Create new database and convert formats

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

andyross

Create new database and convert formats

Post by andyross »

I recently bought a new Hyundai, but it does not support M4A files. Since my database originally came from iTunes, it's about 90% M4A's! I was wondering if there was a way using MMW5 to duplicate my database, and convert M4A's to MP3 without altering the original database? There are nearly 5900 M4A's that need converting. I want to put that database on a USB stick. The current stick/database I have worked fine on my 2011 Fusion, but the Hyundai won't even recognize it.
Andre_H

Re: Create new database and convert formats

Post by Andre_H »

I would check another stick (size, file system, etc) before converting the M4As. Having 2 Hyundais in the family, a 2013 iX35 and a 2018 Tucson, both playing M4As without issues.

Or at least convert just a few tracks to test it.
- MMW 5.0.4.2690 (non-portable, shared DB & files) on Windows 2016 # only essential addons # my 24/7 media server
- MMW MMW 5.0.4.2690 (non-portable, shared DB & files) on Windows 10 # playing, testing skins & addons # my desktop app
- MMA Pro (2.0.0.1063) on Android 10, 11, 12 Phones & Tabs # WiFi Sync # playing

- MP3Tag, MP3Diags, MP3DirectCut, IrfanView
andyross

Post by andyross »

Did a quick check with a small stick and just about 10 M4A files. It came up as 'No Supported Files.'
This is a 2022 with the Nav, HD Radio and everything.
Andre_H

Post by Andre_H »

And MP3 are fine from the same stick? Sure its not some filesystem issue (FAT32, NTFS) with the stick itself?
- MMW 5.0.4.2690 (non-portable, shared DB & files) on Windows 2016 # only essential addons # my 24/7 media server
- MMW MMW 5.0.4.2690 (non-portable, shared DB & files) on Windows 10 # playing, testing skins & addons # my desktop app
- MMA Pro (2.0.0.1063) on Android 10, 11, 12 Phones & Tabs # WiFi Sync # playing

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

MediaMonkey can Auto-Convert on Sync, which means you don't need to keep a Library of converted files on your PC next to the Library of the original files: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... Conversion
andyross

Post by andyross »

I did another test with MP3's, and it found them with no problems.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Can you please share more info on Head Unit itself (eg. Car+Headunit Model, Make and Firmware/Software version. Usually found in Car papers along with included equipment) screenshot even?

I am Asking you because just recently I was working (with a help from willing user) on a issue regarding Ford Sync software in his car and we managed to the root cause of issues..

As Andre Said, it is very very strange/unlikely that they removed M4A file support. There is no logic as M4A took things over in Mobile word.

But again http://webmanual.hyundai.com/STD_GEN5_W ... ation.html state you are correct. Which lead me that Hyndai went on a very cheap development as FLAC is supported WMA also which Point o Windows CE derivative of OS :(
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
andyross

Post by andyross »

In the past, I simply copied the database to the drive or device (I also have a Fios X1 music player) and it worked.

I wiped the drive and MM treated it as a 'device'. I told it which formats were supported and did a sync. It took a few hours (there are about 6000 files, mostly M4A) and the computer got very warm! It did work, although it took quite awhile for it to really recognize everything. Worse, when I shut off the car, then restarted, it didn't start back up on the drive but was 'off' and I had to reselect the drive, which seemed to force a long rescan again.

I just wonder why modern players just don't like local music files. I went to MM because Google Play Music was removed (YouTube Music can play local flies, but takes forever just to scan them) and MM is available on both Windows and Android. Now my 2022 car has worse support and playability than my previous 2011 Ford!
Andre_H

Post by Andre_H »

So, if i get your description right, playing direct from stick doesnt work.

Is Android Auto an option for you? Then not the car but the phone has to handle the audio files.

Edit: can you play the files in your stick from a PC? Maybe something of the sync process corrupts them. Just a thought.

andyross

Post by andyross »

It does play in the car. It's just that it doesn't seem to save a database and has to start scanning from scratch every time the car is started.