How to downgrade back to MM 4.x

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

Shakadula5153

Re: How to downgrade back to MM 4.x

Post by Shakadula5153 »

Yes I did that and when I launch mm5 I get the configure database prompt and I click configure but nothing happens.
Lenovo Laptop:
12th Gen i5 Intel processor
64 bit OS
Windows 11
256 Gig SSD, 8 Gig RAM,

Software

* Primary Apps: MediaMonkey 5 (not GOLD yet).
Shakadula5153

Post by Shakadula5153 »

Lowlander, I followed your directions and I even uninstalled mm5, reinstalled mm5, copied the mm4 db to the mm5 appdata directory and launched mm5. Got the configure prompt and clicked on ‘yes’ and then nothing. Mm4 still works fine with all of my music and playlists intact. I am using the same external drive (G) in both mm4 and mm5. I checked the mm5 ini and it is pointing to my external drive (G). Also, I did not get the ‘use mm4 components’ message this time.

Any thoughts.
Lenovo Laptop:
64 bit OS
Windows 11
256 Gig SSD, 8 Gig RAM,

Software

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

When you say configure, are you referring to the startup wizard? Are you sure there is no mm5.db file in the MediaMonkey 5 database location, as it would be used instead of the mm.db from MediaMonkey 4.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
If you copied MM.DB -> MM5.DB on clean MM install then you should click NO to import MM4 settings.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Shakadula5153

Post by Shakadula5153 »

Okay I uninstalled mm5 as well as deleted the appdata mm5 directory. Reinstalled mm5 and did not launch.

Copied mm.db from the mediamonkey appdata lib/directory to media monkey 5 appdata lib/directory.
Launched mm5 and clicked ‘no’ to use mm 4 components.
I did point mm5 to my local external drive and it loaded all of my 16,000 titles in 8 minutes. Pretty fast. However, no e of my playlists migrated over to mm5.

I thought this was the purpose to clicking ‘yes’ to use mm4 componets but maybe not.

Please help me with these playlists. Oh, I should mention that they are all iPlaylists. Could that be an issue?

Thanks.
Lenovo Laptop:
64 bit OS
Windows 11
256 Gig SSD, 8 Gig RAM,

Software

Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
If they are in MM4 library they should be migrated without problems, if they are iTunes normal playlists and you exported XML with playlists then they should be imported. If they are Genius/smart iTunes playlists then they will not be inported and you need to export one by one in iTunes or Drag and Drop From iTunes to MM Now playing and recreate them :(

If you have further issues please open support ticket where we can go into more details.
Best regards,
Peke
Shakadula5153

Post by Shakadula5153 »

Yes they are normal xml playlists migrated into the i playlists mm4 lib. All that works great in mm4. I have been using these iplaylists for over a year with no issues.

Before I open a support ticket I am going to uninstall mm5 again and move the iplaylists to playlists in mm4. Then I will reinstall mm5 and try again. If that doesn’t work then I will open a support. Right now I am dead in the water as mm4 will not synch my iPhone 13 with ios 15.
Lenovo Laptop:
64 bit OS
Windows 11
256 Gig SSD, 8 Gig RAM,

Software

Shakadula5153

Post by Shakadula5153 »

Didn’t work. No playlists migrated over to mm5. Going the support ticket route.

Thanks for trying to fix my issue.
Lenovo Laptop:
64 bit OS
Windows 11
256 Gig SSD, 8 Gig RAM,

Software

Keith Oliver

Post by Keith Oliver »

After persisting with MM5 for months, despite ongoing minor issues, I decided to follow the noted posted in this thread .....

..... and I'm glad I did ..... !

My MM4 lacks some of the advanced features of MM5 which I had utilised but it works .... without irritating issues .... :D
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

I have found a few bugs, but they have fixed them quickly.
Especially if you do a little work and describe the issue clearly so that they have something to work with.

MM5 gives me too much, and for the things that I use, MM5 is stable.
There is no way that I am going back.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Shakadula5153

Post by Shakadula5153 »

Peke helped me realize that since I am running MM4 under Parallels on a Mac, it is a virtual machine and MM will not copy over my music and playlists to MM5. We did try a portable installation of MM5 that appeared to work but when I restarted my machine all music and playlists were lost. I have been trying to follow the steps we took to get it working but no luck so far.

Barry, do you have a iPhone 13 with ios 15?

I don’t know. I am exhausted.
Lenovo Laptop:
64 bit OS
Windows 11
256 Gig SSD, 8 Gig RAM,

Software

Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Shakadula5153 wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:44 am Barry, do you have a iPhone 13 with ios 15?
Sorry, I am all Windows and Android.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Shakadula5153 wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:44 am Peke helped me realize that since I am running MM4 under Parallels on a Mac, it is a virtual machine and MM will not copy over my music and playlists to MM5. We did try a portable installation of MM5 that appeared to work but when I restarted my machine all music and playlists were lost. I have been trying to follow the steps we took to get it working but no luck so far.

Barry, do you have a iPhone 13 with ios 15?

I don’t know. I am exhausted.
I guess parallels deletes that folder :( Contact me again and we will figure out what to do.
Best regards,
Peke
Shakadula5153

Post by Shakadula5153 »

Hi Peke, Thanks again for helping me with MM5. Seems the error/problem was USER error. I believe I executed MM5 from the wrong directory after the reboot. I went back through our Skipe conversation and realized my error. After I copied the MM4 db from the virtual store, I realized that I also executed MM5 from the wrong place and not from the place we discussed.

I have reinstalled MM5 portable version, made some changes, quit MM5, rebooted the machine, executed MM5 again from the right directory and my changes were still there along with my music and playlists. So it appears Parallels is not deleting the db.

My next test is to try and synch my iPhone 13 with ios 15. I will do that today.

Sorry for the error. Thank you again.
Lenovo Laptop:
64 bit OS
Windows 11
256 Gig SSD, 8 Gig RAM,

Software

Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Glad to hear that. At least this is not our fault ;)

Thx for testing MM5 in VM enviroment. we really hope that we will have Native MAC version as soon as possible (read fully working) it is giving us big headaches.
Best regards,
Peke