Sorting by Album Artist?

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

Ludek

Re: Sorting by Album Artist?

Post by Ludek »

Version 4 has no problem letting me navigate around the genres, artists, albums, tracks, etc, using the tree on the left side.
This is still availble though not enabled by default in the initial version, but just click the three dots menu in the tree and select 'Show all subnodes' , see: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7oxjfr5e15cmj ... 4.png?dl=0
OhJoy!

Post by OhJoy! »

flashbasbo42 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:37 pm
Version 4 has no problem letting me navigate around the genres, artists, albums, tracks, etc, using the tree on the left side.

Version 5 can't do this and seems limited to 12 hard coded genres (using the breadcrumb across the top). Selecting "genres" on the left just gives me a dump of everything in a form that I find difficult to read even with changing some of the limited display options available.
Hello!

I had this same problem:
  • only a limited number of genres showed up in the genres across the top in MM5 even though they all showed in MM4
  • I could use the search function in MM5 to get a list of songs, so knew they were still tagged correctly
  • the Tree view showed NOTHING - was not expandable
I fixed it accidentally by selecting SHOW ALL SUBNODES under HOME on the Tree......now all my genres show in all views.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

flashbasbo42 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:37 pm I purchased the upgrade to 5 and am very disappointed and I will be sticking with version 4.
I hope a future patch might resolve the too many problems to list. I'll check back in a year or so
Cutting through the sarcasm, there is no need to wait a year or so.
MM5 has lost nothing in the areas that you mention.
It has been re-organised in some areas.
  • most of the changes have been beneficial IMO, once you get to understand them
  • some are optional, and can be turned off
  • a tiny amount are less good, but are under discussion
  • some are a questionable half-hearted thought bubble, like the categories you mention ... although they are there, they don't get in the way
I can see that you are cheesed off, bur IMO you haven't been let down by the MM5 upgrade, which has many really good new features.

But you have been let down by the documentation, especially the total lack of a Migration Guide, where the design aims of the changes are explained, demonstrated ... with advice how to set them off, or tone them down.

flashbasbo42 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:37 pm Version 4 has no problem letting me navigate around the genres, artists, albums, tracks, etc, using the tree on the left side.
Ludek explained here how to reset left hand side navigation back to how it was in MM4.

The new version of MM5, including the latest alpha release available here, are pre-configured this way from the get go.

flashbasbo42 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:37 pm Categories is confusing, does not help (not even sure how to use it or why), and I can't easily find how to define "category" (although, the thought of having to edit my entire library to include a "category" definition is even more annoying)
Yes, appears to be a thought bubble, and in the absence of any documentation I am ignoring it.
flashbasbo42 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:37 pm Text display appears to be banned for some reason in place of showing only album images which then get clipped with just the top part of each image displayed for each track if I attempt to display all the tracks in an album. This causes at least a 2 second delay while the process caches up all the images it can find (and paging down does the same delay).
In MM4 you controlled what was shown in the Main Panel solely via the View menu.
One of the the dislocations that come with MM5, is that much of this control has been moved to the Toolbar ... look for this dropdown control, or the one to the left, which toggles between each of the views.

I don't see clipped image issue. A screenshot would help.
I don't see any 2 second lags either ... although I do remember that MM5 was little sluggish while it was rebuilding caches, immediately after install.
flashbasbo42 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:37 pm I tried the four available "skins", the two "dark mode" give me a headache the fastest while the other two take a little bit more time. I can't even change the font.
See my signature. I think that skin is good effort.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.