Now it's time to clarify the point of MM5

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

drakinite

Re: Now it's time to clarify the point of MM5

Post by drakinite »

Hiya, thanks for the input! So as for your addon must-haves, would you mind posting them here? https://mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=98012
There's a lot to do, but I'd like to continue to get an idea for what addons we can focus on bringing to MM5. There's a lot of MM4 addons that are very old, but are still used regularly.

As for your other questions:
- I don't really understand what you mean by integrated playlist manager, because MediaMonkey 5 *does* have a ton of things you can do with playlists. Not sure what you're referring to that's missing from MM.
- As for pinning tabs, if you think it'll be a useful feature, maybe consider posting it in the Beta Testing/Bugs/Feature Requests forum, with some more details about your request? 🙂
- As for Spotify, I see the thread you posted, so hopefully we can fix that soon.
Student electrical-computer engineer, web programmer, part-time MediaMonkey developer, full-time MediaMonkey enthusiast
1001Musik

Post by 1001Musik »

I don't have the ability to add a song to multiple playlists without many clicks. Each time "send to" is not effective. The plugin PlaylistManager is also available. Erwin Hanzl helped me a lot here and expanded the tool especially for me.
A playlist manager should be standard in a music management program. It should just manage the music.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=64499

There is even an extended code that Erwin Hanzl created. This means that when a song is added to a playlist, a value is written in the custom field. Very helpful for me and saves me a lot of clicks.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=64499&p=478374#p478374

WiFi Syncing
MM Gold 4.1.31.1919 auf Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit "portable Installation" auf externe Festplatte
MM Gold 5.0.0.2325 Beta "portable Installation" auf externe Festplatte
MM Android 1.4.3.0948 Pro auf folgenden Geräten

Phones: Huawei P30 Pro Android 10.0 / Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab S4 Android 10
touriga

Post by touriga »

I only came across MM5 several months ago and switched there and then on the basis of what I saw.
There's no way I'm going to stay with MM4 even if there are things I like in it that don't work the same or as well or even are missing from MM5.

I like very much what I see in MM5 and think the MM team have a great vision. I'm certainly going to keep hitching my wagon to where the future is.

I have used MM4 for 13 years and love it, but in my experience with other enduring small company software houses a major re-write is good thing. You often start out with a backward step, but fairly fast you reap the benefits of the new platform.
Lots of the customisation, scripting and add-on capabilities that you feel passionate about, after a while, don't seem necessary with the new generation platform. You also usually start benefiting from a lot of new more up to date features that would never have made it to the previous version.

So keep up the good work. :D

P.S. I'm going to try and carve out some time to see if I can start providing some constructive beta feedback. I've seen a few stability issues, but to date they are rather unpredictable and providing repeatability beta testing information is quite difficult.
LongTermUser

Post by LongTermUser »

Hello,

just for clarification: users who purchased a lifetime license have to buy MM5 again?

So this page:
https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/kno ... -lifetime/

is a lie? (and the meaning of the word lifetime)
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

No, Lifetime License holders don't need to buy a new License they can use their Lifetime License in MediaMonkey 5.
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

LongTermUser wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:56 pm Hello,

just for clarification: users who purchased a lifetime license have to buy MM5 again?

So this page:
https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/kno ... -lifetime/

is a lie? (and the meaning of the word lifetime)
what made you think it was a lie???
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
LongTermUser

Post by LongTermUser »

Ah sorry.

It was late evening - I misunderstood or "forgot" that there was a difference between Gold and lifetime licences.

Everything is cool. 8)
paddymcq

Post by paddymcq »

Andre_H wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:58 am
Weatherman wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:21 amMM5 will require a new license fee. MM4 Gold users will not have a free upgrade.
If you buy an iPhone 8, does Apple automatically owe you an iPhone 9, 10, 11 ...?
Is that how it works? :wink:
Your analogy doesn't make sense. Apple doesn't upgrade hardware for free but they do upgrade software for free.
yarguy

Post by yarguy »

paddymcq wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:25 pm

Your analogy doesn't make sense. Apple doesn't upgrade hardware for free but they do upgrade software for free.
Unless your hardware doesn't support the upgrade - often the case - and then you have to buy a whole new iPhone to get the upgrade - clever of Apple, eh?
CosmicKnowledge

Post by CosmicKnowledge »

Weatherman wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:21 amMM5 will require a new license fee. MM4 Gold users will not have a free upgrade.
If you buy an iPhone 8, does Apple automatically owe you an iPhone 9, 10, 11 ...?

Compared to the range of functions, I think the price for MMW5 is very reasonable (for the price of the lifetime license, I couldn't go out to dinner with 2 people once). Just my 2 cents.
Should we be paying for bug fixes? I still can't sync in MM4 or MM5 or MMA, and I'm a paid user for all. It's been years and years of constant bugs.
Andre_H

Post by Andre_H »

CosmicKnowledge wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:31 pm Should we be paying for bug fixes? I still can't sync in MM4 or MM5 or MMA, and I'm a paid user for all. It's been years and years of constant bugs.
Then it might make sense to post your specific problem here instead of writing "still can't" ... ?
MMW 5.0.0.2338 on Windows 2016 Std.
MMA Pro on Nokia 8 Phone and Lenovo Tab

MP3Tag, MP3Diags, IrfanView
CosmicKnowledge

Post by CosmicKnowledge »

Andre_H wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:02 am
CosmicKnowledge wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:31 pm Should we be paying for bug fixes? I still can't sync in MM4 or MM5 or MMA, and I'm a paid user for all. It's been years and years of constant bugs.
Then it might make sense to post your specific problem here instead of writing "still can't" ... ?
MMA results in sync failure on NW-A105. I've sent logs from within the application. Let's look at that for starters.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

CosmicKnowledge wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:44 pm MMA results in sync failure on NW-A105. I've sent logs from within the application. Let's look at that for starters.
Then it would be better to report it in corresponding MMA forum (or enter a support ticket)
including the log ID so that the colleague developing MMA can look into it.
Thanks!

EDIT: Just seeing that you already entered here: viewtopic.php?p=480286#p480286 -- so let's continue there.
drakinite

Post by drakinite »

CosmicKnowledge wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:31 pm

Compared to the range of functions, I think the price for MMW5 is very reasonable (for the price of the lifetime license, I couldn't go out to dinner with 2 people once). Just my 2 cents.
Should we be paying for bug fixes? I still can't sync in MM4 or MM5 or MMA, and I'm a paid user for all. It's been years and years of constant bugs.
Definitely not. I hope that we will be able to help fix those errors you're running into, because I understand how frustrating it can be to be a paying user when functionality simply does not work. The vast variability in hardware and software configurations can be difficult to manage for a small software team, but it's something we can do our best to slowly iron out.
Heck, for the first few months of me using MM5 (as a user), I spent my time delving into the code, even writing some of my own fixes for the UI bugs. :yum:
Student electrical-computer engineer, web programmer, part-time MediaMonkey developer, full-time MediaMonkey enthusiast