[REQ] iTunes XML & 2-Way sync

Get help for different MediaMonkey 5 Addons.

Moderators: jiri, drakinite, Addon Administrators

Monokai

[REQ] iTunes XML & 2-Way sync

Post by Monokai »

Hi!
For DJing people and others probably as well, I'd like to request the iTunes XML export/sync feature.
Also, I was missing the 2-way-sync feature for iPhones so far:/ Would be nice!
Thank you:)
Lowlander

Re: REQUESTS: iTunes XML & 2-Way sync

Post by Lowlander »

Sync is one-way, but files can be copied from Apple devices: https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/kno ... le-device/

It's not sure if 2-way sync is technically feasible, but this will be reviewed for MediaMonkey 5.1.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
To clarify 2-Way sync. All devices uses proprietary Library and tracking format that is not publicly disclosed and allowed to a third party apps.

Thanks for the feedback. We're actually considering allowing export of the MM5 DB to the iTunes xml db format for 5.1. 2-way sync would be more involved...
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
forschi

Post by forschi »

I just installed MM5 and the iTunes XML would be very much appreciated for the scenario pointed out initially as DJ software (Traktor) can read iTunes formatted database.
Without this function covered I need to revert to MM4 even as my main (non DJ) player and DLNA-server since all my playbacks and library updates helps to update my AutoPlaylists exported via the iTunes XML export.

One helpful function I would like implemented if this is to be added to MM5 would be to include a option to search/replace part of the paths written in the XML.
I do this manually after each export now to be able to use this XML on a mirrored USB that contains my DJ Library. (mirrored folder/file naming, but formatted from "PC format" to "Mac format" of the paths with this simple python script:

for line in fin:
fout.write(line.replace('<key>Location</key><string>file://localhost/G:/Music/', '<key>Location</key><string>file:///Volumes/MUSIC/Music/'))
Peke

Re: [REQ] iTunes XML & 2-Way sync

Post by Peke »

Hi,
forschi wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:54 pm I just installed MM5 and the iTunes XML would be very much appreciated for the scenario pointed out initially as DJ software (Traktor) can read iTunes formatted database.
Why do you even need that MM can easily sync your whole set/files pre prepared for Traktor/Serato/MixVibes/... in folder/file format that are easily imported on site and even easier navigated. Paired that with Exported related Playlist it eliminates any need for additional scripts. I used that for years in MixVibes and Serato. It is very simple in MM5 when you set external HDD as sync device and as soon as you connect it MM5 can sync prepared set in desired format so that when sync is complete you are ready to go.
Best regards,
Peke
Konka

Post by Konka »

Just gunna bump this and say this is the one thing that's stopping me from upgrading to 5.

I DJ, having Rekordbox read an "iTunes" xml file is key to my library workflow.

If there was a first party solution that would be amazing, as it seems the lad that wrote the plugin for MM4 isn't keen on rewriting it for 5 anytime soon.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
From What I see only thing you need is a BRIDGE MM plugin that will export/prepare Playlists from MM to RekordBox.
It is explained at https://rekordbox.com/en/support/developer/
Best regards,
Peke
Konka

Post by Konka »

As far as I can tell, the "Bridge" panel for Rekordbox is an old feature and no longer exists in the current 6.0 version of the program. I visually searched as well I found no match when searching "bridge" in the current Rekordbox manual.
That "rekordbox for Developers" page seems outdated as most forum posts referring to a "bridge" average in date from 2013-2015
yes, it's strange that it's still linked and accessible.

an iTunes xml export looks like the easiest way to have a MM library/playlist sync with RB.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Sorry to hear that, unfortunately we do not own RecordBox compatible device to test with. Have you tried to ask them to make such plugin?

I am guessing that they would take most of the credit out of it.
Best regards,
Peke
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Exporting iTunes.xml should be quite easy to add as an addon.

For inspiration see the core addons like
[MM install folder]\scripts\export\
[MM install folder]\scripts\exportPlaylists\
[MM install folder]\scripts\exportPodcasts\
MagGyver

Post by MagGyver »

I am placing another vote for this feature. There are only a few features that I must have which are preventing me from upgrading to MM5, and this is one of them. I use Traktor and the mechanism to export my MM playlists in XML works quite well, apart from the diacritic read issue in Traktor (but that's not for this forum).
DJ Maggie
MM user since 2005
MMW5, MMA
linktr.ee/djmaggie
MagGyver

Post by MagGyver »

Bumping this up as I am still quite keen on finding a script to export to XML for Traktor in MM5. It's truly the main component of my workflow that is keeping me on MM4 for now. Is this possible? Would somebody with skills please please consider making this? I know many of us would be ever so grateful.
DJ Maggie
MM user since 2005
MMW5, MMA
linktr.ee/djmaggie
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Added this request as https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=20689

Could you please share sample XML format that you need? And which addon you use for it in MM4?

Thanks!
MagGyver

Post by MagGyver »

I got so frustrated about this, but in the end I made the jump to MM5. I've been having MM open on one screen and Traktor on another and I drag/drop my playlist items into a blank corresponding playlist I create in Traktor. It's not ideal, but I'm dealing with it. There are still other features/add-ons of MM4 that I miss terribly (Advanced Find & Fix, I miss you) but it felt like I was prolonging the inevitable.

I am not well-versed in XML parsing and syntax, so I'm unable to answer your question, other than to say it's whatever format iTunes was using when it used an XML file for its playlists. The add-on I was using was a script called Export to iTunes XML ( https://www.mediamonkey.com/addons/brow ... ibraryxml/ ).
DJ Maggie
MM user since 2005
MMW5, MMA
linktr.ee/djmaggie