Auto organize behavior

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Jaani

Auto organize behavior

Post by Jaani »

I have observed a strange behavior for Auto Organize command when selecting a single track or a batch of tracks.

1. Suppose there is already a track A named "John Legend - All of me.mp3" inside directory. And there is another track B with tags "John Legend" for Artist and "All of me" for Title but this track is going to be Auto organized.
2. Try to Auto organize it. MM will warn user that there is already one file with the same name and asks to replace?
3. Select a batch of files including track B and try to Auto organize all of them. MM won't warn that there is already another file with the same name. It will automatically rename the track B with counter (1).
Jaani

Re: Auto organize behavior

Post by Jaani »

1. When Auto organize is applied for one track. The track is highlighted and shows the resulting name correctly.

2. When Auto organize is applied for a batch of tracks. The track is not highlighted and the resulting name will have (1) at the end.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Those two highlighted files are two separate files and to avoid loosing one version (1) is auto applied.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Jaani wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:50 pm 2. When Auto organize is applied for a batch of tracks. The track is not highlighted and the resulting name will have (1) at the end.
It would be a good thing if MM5 had a log file, for auto-organise, to isolate exceptions like that.

The search facility does help a little, but has quirks which make the job a little harder than it could be.

If you type the following to either the context or whole library search, it will help find (1) files.
path: "1)"

That finds "(1)" files, as well as "(Disk 1)" and "(version #1)" files, etc ... but it helps to narrow things down.

The search quirks I mentioned above, are things like:
  • sort syntax does not recognise the filename keyword, so you have to use the whole path
  • it can detect a closing bracket at the end of a set of characters, but not an opening bracket at the beginning of the set
These quirks should be considered to be bugs IMO
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
pawpawwalt

Post by pawpawwalt »

Another problem that I've encountered with the MM 5 Auto-organize routine:

After scanning new music into MM and after adding title/artist info, album art, etc., instead of using the backup routine, I use Auto-organize in order to send a copy of the music file to my NAS ("Copy files to new destination based on file tags"), and then I use Auto-organize to MOVE the same file to it's permanent storage location on local D:\ ("Move and rename files to new location based on file tags"). Well, I USED to do that with MM 4.

Now, when attempting to send a copy to the NAS, I receive an error message and the routine won't run unless I select the option to 'Move' the file to the NAS. The same happens if I try to send a copy to D:\. It'll only work if I select the 'Move' option.

I love MM and this is not life or death, but it worked so beautifully with MM 4.
Last edited by pawpawwalt on Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Unfortunately the images aren't working.