Ease of Use

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

ifishnc

Ease of Use

Post by ifishnc »

Just a couple of minor tweaks I would like to see.
First, I would like to compliment the developers of MM5. This version is amazing! I can't imagine how difficult it must have been to create this version. When I first installed MM5 I was hesitant, but after a day of playing with it, I was sold. It is now the kind of application that you would see for sale in stores. Please keep a version free.
Now, for the suggestions:
1. When adding files via the scan command, I find it difficult to stop scrolling on a specific file. This is because the elevator does not have single line movement at the top and bottom like most others do. This means that I have to scroll a page at a time. I would like to see this addition to the elevator.
2. In the previous version I was able to edit more quickly. When I add tracks to MM5 they are all preceded by a track number included in the source file. Example: 01 Sound Of Silence. Once scanned I edit the 01 out of the track name. In MM4 I could double click on the track, highlight the "01" and delete. MM5 does not allow this. Instead I have to insert the cursor and backspace to remove the "01". (Obviously, this is a minor inconvenience, but I have 85,000 tracks to deal with)

Again, thanks to the guys/gals who made MM5 possible.
Lowlander

Re: Ease of Use

Post by Lowlander »

1) I don't understand how Add/Rescan Files is scrolling on a specific file and what the term elevator means.

2) Are you doing in-line editing of the Title tag or editing the Filename? You can use Tools > Auto-Tag from Filename to tag Title from Filename without the added Track Number (<Ignore> <Title>): https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... lename/5.0
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

ifishnc wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:39 pm 1. When adding files via the scan command, I find it difficult to stop scrolling on a specific file. This is because the elevator does not have single line movement at the top and bottom like most others do. This means that I have to scroll a page at a time. I would like to see this addition to the elevator.
I am also confused by what you mean my "elevator"?
Do you mean the increment by which you can scroll using mouse thumb wheel? That's controlled by Windows Mouse settings (press Windows key, and type mouse). Also my mouse has facility to store mouse settings for specific applications ... maybe you created an application-specific setting for MM4?

FWIIW I find list scrolling better in MM5 than it was in MM4. The list in the MM4 Scan facility did not respond properly to the Up and Down arrows, ie. did not scroll when at top or bottom. That issue is fixed in MM5.

ifishnc wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:39 pm 2. In the previous version I was able to edit more quickly. When I add tracks to MM5 they are all preceded by a track number included in the source file. Example: 01 Sound Of Silence. Once scanned I edit the 01 out of the track name. In MM4 I could double click on the track, highlight the "01" and delete. MM5 does not allow this. Instead I have to insert the cursor and backspace to remove the "01". (Obviously, this is a minor inconvenience, but I have 85,000 tracks to deal with)
Where are you editing? Directly in the main panel, or in the "File Properties" window?
It looks to me that the tag editor in both of these places work the same in MM5
  • one click to select the tag
  • a second click to activate the editor ==> the whole tag is hillite and selected
The Track Properties panel has always been a bit more difficult, because the editor for the tag is already activated, and the 2nd click does not select the whole tag ... you need to this via a mouse drag, or tab forward and back to make that whole tag selection, but the double click action still selects a specific word, eg. the 01 in your example.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Maybe the OP is referring this issue https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=18082 ? But not sure as Properties are not launched by double-clicking by default (unless configured so)
ifishnc

Post by ifishnc »

Thanks for the reply.
With regard to my elevator suggestion. I am not talking about the mouse. On virtually every application from Excel to google etc, the bar on the right of the screen has small up and down arrows at the top and bottom. These are used to move one line at a time. MM5 does not have these. I think they would be helpful. I love the new file scan format. Just trying to add a touch.

Now the other suggestion. My music is stored on my drives like this: 01 songA 02 songB 03 songC so I can identify tracks on other devices I use. When I scan and load in an album with 100 top songs of the 50's (example), the songs show up in MM5 with the track # in the title. I do not want this. So I have to manually go in and edit out the first 2 digits of all 100 songs. Good thing I have time on my hands. In MM4 I could double click on a song, drag my cursor over the # and delete. MM5 will not allow me to do this which means I spend more time on a really boring task. Maybe there is a better way to do this. I'd really appreciate the help.
ifishnc

Post by ifishnc »

To Barry:
I finally was able to understand how to edit the track titles from the instructions you listed. I was not aware of the last double click to hilite the part of the title I want to delete.
Thanks for the clarity.
ifishnc

Post by ifishnc »

To Lowlander:
I looked at the link you provided. Unfortunately, I am computer challenged and this "masking" approach is beyond my skill set.

A SUGGESTION: With the introduction of MM5 there will be lot more people like me who want to use MM. This edition puts Media Player, I Tunes, VLC and all the rest to shame. So, the Linux gurus will be replaced by Mac users - a different breed. That means your "job" will become increasingly more difficult as you try to overcome the "language" barrier. Just don't assume that you are working with computer literates anymore, and at the same time try not to offend the gurus by talking down to them.
GOOD LUCK and I truly appreciate all you do.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

We're to help with Masks if you need help.

If your songs (01 songA) are Track# Title in the filename the Mask <Ignore> <Title> will work. The good thing is that Auto-Tag from Filename will show the changes according to the Mask you're entering allowing you for trial and error in the Auto-Tag from Filename dialog without affecting the actual files. DO make sure to ALWAYS confirm the changes Auto-Tag from Filename will make before you OK them.