[REQ] Auto-Playlist with filter to another playlist: "Parent" [#17995]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Andre_H

[REQ] Auto-Playlist with filter to another playlist: "Parent" [#17995]

Post by Andre_H »

Hi,

in some use-cases it would be nice to set a filter within a autoplaylist to it's "parent" playlist, instead of a named other playlist (which is the actually parent).

Copying, moving, etc. could be done much smoother, if "parent" updates itself, then to edit it manually to the (new) parent list.

It's a minor QoL thing, but maybe you have a look into it.
- MMW 5.0.4.2690 (non-portable, shared DB & files) on Windows 2016 # only essential addons # my 24/7 media server
- MMW MMW 5.0.4.2690 (non-portable, shared DB & files) on Windows 10 # playing, testing skins & addons # my desktop app
- MMA Pro (2.0.0.1063) on Android 10, 11, 12 Phones & Tabs # WiFi Sync # playing

- MP3Tag, MP3Diags, MP3DirectCut, IrfanView
Lowlander

Re: [REQ] Auto-Playlist with filter to another playlist: "Parent"

Post by Lowlander »

Andre_H

Re: [REQ] Auto-Playlist with filter to another playlist: "Parent" [#17995]

Post by Andre_H »

Great! :wink:

Thank you!
- MMW 5.0.4.2690 (non-portable, shared DB & files) on Windows 2016 # only essential addons # my 24/7 media server
- MMW MMW 5.0.4.2690 (non-portable, shared DB & files) on Windows 10 # playing, testing skins & addons # my desktop app
- MMA Pro (2.0.0.1063) on Android 10, 11, 12 Phones & Tabs # WiFi Sync # playing

Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Can you please elaborate which use cases are you referring so that we can prioritize the request? i.e. some examples.

Thanks!
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I use a Parent Playlist which includes the Child Playlists via Criteria Playlist Is.

Scenario 1
So when you copy Parent1, MediaMonkey will copy it and the Child Playlists structure. This cop, say Parent2 AutoPlaylist now points to the Child Playlists of Parent1. With an option to define Criteria Playlist is Child the Parent2 AutoPlaylist would automatically point to the Child Playlists of Parent2 instead of Parent1.

Scenario 2
User has AutoPlaylist which includes all Child Playlists. User creates a new Child Playlist and now has to update the Parent AutoPlaylist to include the new Child Playlist. With Criteria Playlist Is Child it would be automatically included as any Child Playlist is included.
Andre_H

Post by Andre_H »

Example: I have a playlist structure nested over 3 levels:

1. node: "Songs per Genre" (filter at Rating >=3)
= 2. node: "Genre: Rock international" => Playlist is "Songs per Genre", and additional filters.
== 3. node: "Genre: Rock international / 1980s" => Playlist is "Genre: Rock international", and additional filters.
== 3. node: "Genre: Rock international / 1990s" => Playlist is "Genre: Rock international", and additional filters.
== 3. node: "Genre: Rock international / 2000s" => Playlist is "Genre: Rock international", and additional filters.
= 2. node: "Genre: Pop international" => Playlist is "Songs per Genre", and additional filters.
== 3. node: "Genre: Pop international / 1980s" => Playlist is "Genre: Pop international", and additional filters.
== 3. node: "Genre: Pop international / 1990s" => Playlist is "Genre: Pop international", and additional filters.
== 3. node: "Genre: Pop international / 2000s" => Playlist is "Genre: Pop international", and additional filters.

(that as example, you get the idea. the whole thing is something around 30-40 (sub)playlists, and every playlist is based on it's parent plus some more filters.)

today i copied the whole tree to "Hits per Genre", and wanted to set up basicly the same thing with a filter on rating >=4 in node level 1. (additional, not change!). so i had to manually change every (copied) list to the new "parent".

the idea now was: if the filters could refer to the actual parent element, and no playlist named by name/ID, I could have copied and pasted the entire tree and then made a one-off adjustment of the filter on level 1, and done.

i personaly don't have a use-case for the same idea with refers to "child" now.

Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Thanks for clarification! Makes sense.