MM5 loses connection with Google Home and goes to sleep [#18017]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

CraigG

MM5 loses connection with Google Home and goes to sleep [#18017]

Post by CraigG »

The past 3 releases have had an issue where MM seems to lose casting connection to Google Home and then the PC goes to sleep as nothing is happening.

I am assuming this as, when I wake the computer up again, the alert on screen is that the "speaker is no longer connected or available" or something like that.

the speaking I am casting to is absolutely available. I reported a similar issue a long while back and I believe the fix was you giving the system more time to reconnect before showing the alert.
CraigG

MM5 loses connection with Google Home and goes to sleep

Post by CraigG »

The past 3 releases have had an issue where MM seems to lose casting connection to Google Home and then the PC goes to sleep as nothing is happening.

I am assuming this as, when I wake the computer up again, the alert on screen is that the "speaker is no longer connected or available" or something like that.

the speaking I am casting to is absolutely available. I reported a similar issue a long while back and I believe the fix was you giving the system more time to reconnect before showing the alert.
Lowlander

Re: MM5 loses connection with Google Home and goes to sleep

Post by Lowlander »

I assume that MediaMonkey was casting to the device when this occurs?

Please capture this in a debug log (step 4b) with the debug version of MediaMonkey 5 build 2410 and attach the log to a Support Ticket: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... 30&t=86643
CraigG

Post by CraigG »

Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hi,
in the debug log I see that "Living Room speaker (Chromecast Audio)" was replying our MEDIA_STATUS messages for 2000 seconds (33 minutes) and then suddenly it stopped replying and sent PING and we repeatedly replied with PONG, but it sent PING again over and over. So it looks that the device was no longer receiving our messages for some reason.

Can you confirm that if you (in this state) press Stop button on the player (or double-click a file to play) then the connection is estabilished again and it continues to play? If yes then I could try to detect this situation and "re-connect" to get from this state.
CraigG

Post by CraigG »

Hi Ludek

When this issue occurs, I notice music has stopped playing. I go to the laptop and it is asleep. I wake up the computer and it can take MM a few seconds to work. It kind of freezes for a second or two. Then I double click on a track and get the error "speaker is unavailable" or something like that. If I click it 1-2 more times, it connects and plays again fine.

I'm casting to Google Audio (its a chromecast kind of thing)
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hi,
could you please do one more test with PC configured not to go to sleep at all?

I would like to know whether the reason for the lost connection is the Windows going to sleep or whether Windows goes to sleep as consequence of the lost conenction.

Thx.
CraigG

Post by CraigG »

Hi there

I disabled the sleep function on the laptop and have twice left MM to play. It didn't stop playback either time.

So, it seems the Windows sleep function is ignoring MM or MM is allowing the system to go to sleep sleep?
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Windows 10 2004 introduced something called Deep Sleep which is sort half hibernate, half sleep eg. PC is shutdown, but due the sake of quick boot some portions are still in memory, maybe you are experiencing this. Can you please make screenshot of your windows power options?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
CraigG

Post by CraigG »

Doesn't seem likely. As mentioned, this issue only arose 2-3 versions of MM5 ago.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AoM1UrOaoKUMkeBAXpH ... Q?e=QUYMBf
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hi,
this sounds like issue https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=15089

But I was re-analyzing your debug log again now and seeing that it played for 33 minutes and that during that time we were correctly preventing PC from going to sleep by calling SetThreadExecutionState with ES_CONTINUOUS and ES_SYSTEM_REQUIRED every 30 seconds until the "Living Room speaker" stopped replying with MEDIA_STATUS and started replying with just PING.
So from the log it looks that the "PC sleep" was initiated after the device stopped sending its MEDIA_STATUS.

Did you (in your previous test when the log was generated) used also 10 minutes as the "sleep timeout" ?
Can you try to set sleep timeout just to 1 minute and try whether the PC goes to sleep despite casting to the "Living Room speaker" ? If yes, could you catch this in another log?

Thanks!
CraigG

Post by CraigG »

Hey - I turned the 'sleep' function off on the laptop, as per your request. Does Google Audio Cast have its own sleep timer? I can't see anything like that in the preferences.

I probably had the laptop set to 10 minutes on my original debug report.

I'll set it to 1 minute but i am away from home for a week so i'll have to come back to you.
CraigG

Post by CraigG »

Hey - I changed the sleep to 1 min and let MM play and it didn't cut off after 5-10 minutes.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AoM1UrOaoKUMkeESw6F ... w?e=ZWcryf
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

OK, so it looks that this issue was not related to sleep settings, but rather random connection failure, are you still able to replicate this issue -- or it was a one time issue?
CraigG

Post by CraigG »

Hi Ludek

It happened again now. My sleep setting is set to 15 minutes. New debug in the same folder above as well as a screen shot of two error messages.

There are two debug files. The one with (2) may also show a regular issue with MM. I click a tune expecting it to shuffle all the tracks in the playlist but it stops playing after playing the clicked track. I then double click another tune and it plays that track and consecutive ones after that, as expected.