Sometimes "find from the same" is very slow

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

robojock

Sometimes "find from the same" is very slow

Post by robojock »

Hi,

[Build 2333] I use find from the same > folder (library) quiet often to delete files from the library (and harddrive) and in some cases when I right click on a file and select from the same > folder (library) the waiting period for results is a few seconds which feels longer than other times and in some cases nothing happens. In those cases where nothing happens and I select find from the same > folder (all) I get search results. I have optimized the database and rebuild i still get the same issue. Here is a debug log hope this helps
Ludek

Re: Sometimes "find from the same" is very slow

Post by Ludek »

Hi, the log is quite long (includes 25 minutes of debug output).

So before I will analyze it I have a few questions:

1) What is your settings here in the Media tree menu: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9dwj1rl04sp50 ... 7.png?dl=0
I mean especially the checkboxes:
[ ] Show all subnodes
[ ] Focus tree nodes when browsing content
Are they disabled (as by default), or you enabled them? Note that when they are disabled then it performs faster (as it does not need to expand thousands of subnodes)

2) Could you catch a screencast video of the bug -- or at least describe the issue more clearly (e.g. on which file you performed Find more from same and to which folder + at which part of the debug log to make the debug log analyzis easier ?

3) Alternativally if you can consistently replicate (or often repliace) with concreate file/folder in your database, would you mind to zip and share your MM.DB so that we could replicate the issue ?

Thanks!
robojock

Post by robojock »

Hi Ludek,

Those options are disabled as it is by default. The reason why the debug log is so large is because I am trying to catch this bug The issue happens towards the end of the debug log. My work flow is as follows. I do a search for an album, I have duplicates flac, m4a and mp3 and duplicates of duplicates :roll: "I know, my library is a mess" :roll: I right click on the mp3 files and select "find from the same > folder (library)" which then gives me results and then I select all and delete it. From there I go back to the search results right click on the m4a files "find from the same > folder (library)" it will often by this step start getting slow (taking longer than usual) or not load results, I notice at the same time it shows at the left bottom corner "loading" and at the top right hand corner next to the search bar the circle but nothing happens, but if I right click and select "find from the same > folder (all)" then I get results immediately.

So the whole process is a repetitive process. Search, find from the same > folder (library), delete, return to search results, find from the same > folder (library), delete.

If you want a can send you a shorter debug log? Let me know if you still need a video and the database?
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hi,
I have tried to replicate the issue using your steps, but I was unable to replicate.
Maybe I am doing something slightly differently or it is specific to your database.
So if you could share your database and video screencast (or exact instructions of which folders/files to test) it would be helpful.
Alternativelly if you are using Portable version then you could zip and share whole your Portable folder for me to increase the chance to replicate and fix the issue easier. You can upload the fiels to a free file hosting service (e.g. DropBox, FileDropper) and PM me the links to the files (or submit it as eSupport ticket with the links).

Thanks!
robojock

Post by robojock »

Hi Ludek,

Here is a video of the issue. This is now on a fresh install of windows with a new mm5 database.

Edit : You will notice towards the end of the video of that one of the folders that did not want to open, eventually opened.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hi, thanks for the video, could you share also the debug log corresponding to the video (and possibly also link to your compressed MM5.DB ?).

What is strange on your video is the frozen task "Adding 0 of 1 (G:\Music to sort\.... "
It looks that you have set continuous monitoring of folder "G:\Music to sort\" in Add/Re-scan dialog ? What is the drive G: ? Is it a mapped network drive?
Is this continuous monitoring key to replicate the issue? i.e. if you temporarily disable monitoring of this drive, does the issue still happens?
robojock

Post by robojock »

Hi Ludek,

I got this error message (#988864D9) while trying to delete files using the repetitive method mentioned here. Here is also a debug log from when it happened.
Ludek wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:53 am What is strange on your video is the frozen task "Adding 0 of 1 (G:\Music to sort\.... "
It looks that you have set continuous monitoring of folder "G:\Music to sort\" in Add/Re-scan dialog ? What is the drive G: ? Is it a mapped network drive?
Is this continuous monitoring key to replicate the issue? i.e. if you temporarily disable monitoring of this drive, does the issue still happens?
No G:\ is a usb drive and that happens when mm is adding .m3u . Also the issue happens even when there are no background tasks. it doesn't happen immediately though, it only happens after a while of constant searching for files and deleting them the way i am currently doing it. After closing mm and restarting the issue goes away but gradually comes back. I tried to capture it as it had happened before i was "logging" but inbetween this error message (#988864D9) popped up... So now i have to retry again.

Edit : here is another debug log of when the issue happens i also have another video when it happens along side the debug log so that you can see what happens on the debug log. "find from the same > folder (library)" doesn't respond when selecting it but "find from the same > folder (all)" and "find from the same > folder (explorer)" works. Restarting mm then "find from the same > folder (library)" works for a while until it becomes very slow to respond or doesn't respond at all.