ARTWORK: do not read propely jpg in the tag. MM5 crashed

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

jotixce

ARTWORK: do not read propely jpg in the tag. MM5 crashed

Post by jotixce »

Hi,

I had been working on a new thing, the ARTWORKS. I have seen that (this time rock classic) that most of the cover are schown with a "disket" on the top left corner, and some times something that has nothing to do with the album, and the image that is embeded in he tag. So I have to go to each album edit the propertis, go to Artwork, click on "apply to all selected" and the I get the cover. (I get a message that MM5 cannot uodate the file?? look at the bottom centre of the first screenshot)

While doing this I get a crash : [ID 00CF000 SEND-TIME 14H16 - 24.3.2021 ] once the log was sended MM5 freezed and said:

Aplication error: Violation at adress 00ACBF4. in module Mediamonkyengine.exe. Read of adress 00000000. Would you like to restart Mediamonker in safe mode?

At this time I said YES, but nothig happens.I had to kill the process. And when MM5 open again, all my work with the Artwork was lost.

I have all the Rolling Stones, Elvis Costello and Neil Young albums to do so, is something inside MM5 to go quicklier ?

With Georg Friedrich Händel, Mozart, Txaikovsky, Chopin, I haven't had this problem, or this huge work to do.

You can ckeck Supertram in my folder of Händel. There are three cover in fotos of texts.

Sorry to be so nasty .... I send Screenshots

Jordi
Ludek

Re: ARTWORK: do not read propely jpg in the tag. MM5 crashed

Post by Ludek »

Hi, just checking incoming crashlogs and 00CF0000 is twice here for today, but both logs are from build 2293
I guess you are not on 2293, or are you?
If yes, please upgrade to 2326.
jotixce

Post by jotixce »

HI, yes you are right. I go to do the update.

Jordi
jotixce

Post by jotixce »

Hi,

I have done the update. The thing with Artwork is the same... I had to to the same steps, but when I open again the MM5 my modification disapear in Supertrams "Last Words" .... Also I put The Masterpice of The Temptation in the folder to prove it.

Important, I order the albums by "Composer" so I have all the albums together.

A hint from you will be helpful!!!

Thanks a lot

Jordi
jotixce

Post by jotixce »

Hi,

I have done more test with another Group (Foghat) , all the albums where with the "diskette" on the top left. I clicked on it, and promted a pop-up giving me the choice to overwrite the existen Artwork, I said yes, and the diskette disappear. On of them had a wrong cover, which I amend via Properties.

But .....  when I restarted MM5 all my modifications had disappeared .....   :evil:

The message of not being able to access the files continues to pop.

Most of my files are in FLAC, so it means, as per your wiki, that the covers are stored in  (METADATA_BLOCK_PICTURE). Could it be possible to accept it directly ?

Thanks a lot.

Jordi
rusty

Post by rusty »

Hi Jordi,

I looked at both Supertramp - Famous last words, and The Temptations - Masterpiece, and for both albums, all tracks were correctly tagged with album art.

I don't clearly understand what problem you're experiencing, but the following link may help to better understand how album art works in MM5:
https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHelp:Album_Art/5.0

Essentially album art can be:
- 'Unsaved' - this is album art that has been automatically looked up by MM but not saved to a tag in case it's incorrect (It will almost certainly be incorrect if the Album Artist or Album Names are incorrect since it looks up album art based on that metadata. In your case, Album Names are often prefixed with the Release Year, which will result in poor results for the auto-looked up artwork). If you manually save album art, the auto-looked-up image will be overwritten since it's really just a 'best guess'. If you click the 'save/diskette' icon, then you'll have the option to save it to either:
--- 'Saved to tag' - this is how your album art has been saved
--- 'Saved to directory' - some users prefer this approach to eliminate redundancy of saving artwork in multiple tracks

So I don't see any problems with your tracks. If they're not displaying correctly in your library, please share a screencap.

Thanks!

-Rusty
rusty

Post by rusty »

Hi Jordi,

Received your screencaps, and it shows a 'toast' message that 'Tag update failed: \Audials.....10-Aries.flac is inaccessible'

Assuming that message appeared after you attempted to update the Artwork (saving it to the track tag), it means that the track was not able to be updated because it was inaccessible to MediaMonkey--meaning that it was not at the location at which you had scanned it.

This can occur if:
a) you changed the path of the files in an application outside of MediaMonkey
b) you changed the path of the files in the MediaMonkey _Folders_ node. This is a special node that displays media as it exists on the hard drive rather than as it exists in the MediaMonkey library.

Does this (along with the above post) clarify the situation for you?

-Rusty

p.s. there may be something else at play here since the path shown in the toast message is a bit strange as it's missing a drive letter! Checking into that...

EDIT: your report resulted in the discovery of a UI refresh problem that may have contributed to the confusion. See: https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=17697
jotixce

Post by jotixce »

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your answer, and patience.

My "problem" is that MM5 does not take the Artwork in the Tag of my files as the cover, and the only cover for the album to be displayed in my MM5 screen. One thing is when in my Tag or in my folder there are no Artworks, and MM5 look up for me the missing Album cover, but when I PUT A COVER, MM5 should shown this cover.

It no use to go one album to another modifiying covers .... In the screencaps I send you, you could see that three albums of Supertram has a page of text as cover ..... Why?

I will read the papers you gave me, as good student. Also I will check that the files are in the correct location (add/rescan).

I Use MM5 in the panel of my car, (full connect) Superb .... you are the best .... and (please let me make a joke) I have no problems with Artwork .... ( :lol: )

Jordi
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

MediaMonkey will display the first Artwork listed under the Properties > Artwork tab. So make sure the front cover is the top most Artwork if this is what you wan to be shown in MediaMonkey.
rusty

Post by rusty »

Jordi,

When I scan the tracks and navigate to Music > Composers > Supertramp [Browser view], all 9 albums appear with the correct artwork.

I'm not sure why they aren't like that for you. Based on the screencap you sent me, your music collection isn't even aware that the album art exists in the tags as the artwork that is shown for all the albums are images that MediaMonkey automatically looked up (evidenced by the 'save' icon on each image).

Could it be that you scanned the files into MM, then edited the Album Art tags in another app, and didn't re-scan the files into MM?

-Rusty

p.s. if you're using other apps to edit tags/artwork, then you should configure MediaMonkey to regularly scan the directory for changes
jotixce

Post by jotixce »

Hi,

I have gone further in my "MM5 learnings":

I have done the following, if anyone finds to have my problem:

OPTIONS >> METADATA LOOKUP >> "Background Metadatada Lookup" I have not checked ARTWORK and UPDATE.

Now MM5 DO NOT lookup for Artwork for the "funny names" i put in my Albums : 1992- All together (remastered 2020)

I think this will be my solution. MAKE MM5 NOT TO LOOKUP FOR ARTWORKS.

Thanks to you all to guide me to find a solution.

I have also checked in "Background Metadatada Lookup" "Lirycs" and "Update tag" ..... GREAT now, when I have time, I can read the Lyrics, but only when i click on the track, no while the music is playing.

You have done a pretty good work !! The User must read a lot of "HOW TO DO PAPERS".

I hope you get rid of me for a while.

jORDI XICOLA
rusty

Post by rusty »

Glad that's cleared up!

Just a note:
- MediaMonkey 5, by default, has lookup of Artwork enabled, but does not automatically tag such lookups. i.e. the issues you described should not affect most people.
- For Auto-lookup of Artwork to work well, the Album fields need to be correctly entered (e.g. 'Dark Side of the Moon' and not '1973 - Dark Side of the Moon'.

-Rusty