Lookup Image / File Properties / Auto Tag ... general first impressions [#17702]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

saraLH

Lookup Image / File Properties / Auto Tag ... general first impressions [#17702]

Post by saraLH »

I've been using MM5 parallel to MM4 for a few weeks now and I have a few observations and questions. First of all, the interface looks pretty good and the program runs faster, but on the whole at this time MM4 does the job better for me. I already bought the Gold license for MM5 so I hope some improvements will continue to come along and I can make use of the newer program.

Auto Tag: for me somewhat of a disaster. Like MM4 it seems to capture most of the basic information for the album name and track titles. After the disc is ripped I make a secondary editing run - first autotagging and then refining. In MM4 with the wonderful plugin, it worked like a charm 95% of the time. With the check boxes I could choose which fields I wanted to keep or not and if several releases were available I could choose which was the correct match. Now there seems to be no possibility of refining my search and selection. I did a test and ran autotag on 10 different albums (that were already correctly tagged), from the Beatles to German Pop to Opera to Classical, each of them had a peculiarity - and no possibily to really see the source. What's also missing from the list of fields to search (Track #,Disc #,Title,Artist,Album,Genre,Date,Involved people,Year) are composer and conductor - vital for us classic listeners. Really, really missing the old Discogs plugin!!!! (Very glad that the bulk of my CDs are already ripped and plan to use MM4 for the rest.)

Lookup image:
• Since I, in 99% of all cases, scan my own cover images and store them locally I would like an option to turn off Internet search or at least make it an option to check and not the default.
• It would really be nice it the behavior was like MM4, where it first browsed in the same folder as the album. Now when I click “browse” it opens to some random folder and then I have to navigate to the correct folder. (In my case, the same as the album itself.)
• “Browse” would be easier to find if it were at the top or even to the right near the OK/Cancel buttons.
• It would be nice of one could right click on the album thumbnail and get to the artwork properties tab.
• I miss the option to “view full-size image” on right click.

File properties:
• The “Artist” and “Title” fields are pretty short for my use case, as 85% of my music is classical and there are often multiple artists on one track.
• In MM4, when the artists’ names were longer than the allotted space, the cursor automatically jumped to the end and the end of the last entry became visible. That’s no longer the case and it is very frustrating to not see what you’re typing.
• The dropdown of the Artists’ names is much better than before. Thanks!

Thanks for taking the time to read and consider my comments.
PetrCBR

Re: Lookup Image / File Properties / Auto Tag ... general first impressions

Post by PetrCBR »

Thanks for your feedback.

We know auto-tag functionality for classical music is very limited now and we will add another sources for classical music for sure in the future.
How to make a debuglog - step 4b: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86643
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

I agree with many of the points that you make. Specifically:
saraLH wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:12 am Lookup image:
• It would really be nice it the behavior was like MM4, where it first browsed in the same folder as the album. Now when I click “browse” it opens to some random folder and then I have to navigate to the correct folder. (In my case, the same as the album itself.)
• “Browse” would be easier to find if it were at the top or even to the right near the OK/Cancel buttons.
• It would be nice of one could right click on the album thumbnail and get to the artwork properties tab.
• I miss the option to “view full-size image” on right click.
The 1st point is probably a bug.

Agree your point about the "Browse" button, and I would add that it seems suboptimal that I have to allow first MM5 to search the Internet, before I am ever offered the Browse button, enabling connection to the image which I already have.

A "View full-size" option is available on a few of the displays, but its availability is inconsistent, which is a problem. It needs to be added to the List and List By Albums view, at the very least IMO.
saraLH wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:12 am File properties:
• The “Artist” and “Title” fields are pretty short for my use case, as 85% of my music is classical and there are often multiple artists on one track.

I agree this too.
They need to make the File Properties dialog box resizable.
The "Convert Files" dialog box, which is available from the same context menu, is resizable.
It would be a big help if the File Properties" one was the same.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
saraLH

Post by saraLH »

PetrCBR wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:28 am Thanks for your feedback.

We know auto-tag functionality for classical music is very limited now and we will add another sources for classical music for sure in the future.
Thanks for the quick answer - but please understand, it wasn't just classical that was weak. It made the wrong release match with a Beatles album.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

saraLH wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:12 amSince I, in 99% of all cases, scan my own cover images and store them locally I would like an option to turn off Internet search or at least make it an option to check and not the default.
This is available: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... ata_Lookup
saraLH wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:12 amIt would really be nice it the behavior was like MM4, where it first browsed in the same folder as the album. Now when I click “browse” it opens to some random folder and then I have to navigate to the correct folder. (In my case, the same as the album itself.)
It opens to the folder the selected media file is located for me (on 2326). This is something that has changed I believe.
saraLH wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:12 amAuto Tag: Like MM4 it seems to capture most of the basic information for the album name and track titles.
Both CD lookup and Auto-Tag use the same database in MediaMonkey 5. The amount of tags is similar to Auto-Tag from Web in MediaMonkey before it stopped working. It will take some time before Addons to enhance this will be created by developers.
saraLH wrote:With the check boxes I could choose which fields I wanted to keep or not and if several releases were available I could choose which was the correct match.
Selecting which fields to tag for each file would be really welcome. Currently it's a global setting: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... g_Settings

For Auto-Tag make sure you have "Prefer faster metadata lookups when possible" disabled Under Tools > Options > Metadata Lookup: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... g_Settings
PetrCBR

Post by PetrCBR »

Can you send me that album (upload to any sharing server and PM me) ?
saraLH wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:27 am Thanks for the quick answer - but please understand, it wasn't just classical that was weak. It made the wrong release match with a Beatles album.
How to make a debuglog - step 4b: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86643
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Lowlander wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:19 am
saraLH wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:12 amSince I, in 99% of all cases, scan my own cover images and store them locally I would like an option to turn off Internet search or at least make it an option to check and not the default.
This is available: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... ata_Lookup
I don't think that it is available.
The OP was specifically requesting facility to turn off auto-lookup for album art. I don't see any facility for that.

Also the following note from the help text that you quoted could be improved.
Note, that MediaMonkey will still lookup Artist images, Album Artwork and Lyrics even when the option to do is disabled. This takes place in certain locations when the information is displayed. It won't happen in the Grid views (for Artist and Album Artwork) or the Preview window (for Artwork and Lyrcis), or for the Playing node set to Album Art (for Lyrics) in which case a lookup button will be presented. The results of these lookups are not stored in the files or the MediaMonkey database or saved in any way.
It doesn't appear useful to me.
Firstly it seems to be cementing a bug into place, as it is not a "feature".
Secondly it a lazy and overly complex way of describing things ... An simpler alternative, which provides the same amount of useful information, would be as follows
This feature works except in situations where it doesn't work.

saraLH wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:12 amIt would really be nice it the behavior was like MM4, where it first browsed in the same folder as the album. Now when I click “browse” it opens to some random folder and then I have to navigate to the correct folder. (In my case, the same as the album itself.)
It opens to the folder the selected media file is located for me (on 2326). This is something that has changed I believe.
I installed 2326. FWICS it is still broken as described by the OP.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Werewolfhero

Post by Werewolfhero »

If op is wanting to disable the Auto - Auto-tagging, its here.... Untick for individual tracks recommend albums instead of singles... and Untick replace existing information.... And that stops the Automatic Auto-Tagging.... (this probably shouldn't be enabled upon install)

disabled that myself because it kept wanting to rename "Deluxe" ablums as the basic versions... (which is annoying for Last.fm purposes)
Mediamonkey Gold 5.0.0.2338
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Barry4679 wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:09 pm
I installed 2326. FWICS it is still broken as described by the OP.
It works fine also for me and opens in the folder where the media file resides, but maybe it is related to a particular song path? Did you test with local files on local drives or some specific network locations?
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Ludek wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:22 pm It works fine also for me and opens in the folder where the media file resides, but maybe it is related to a particular song path? Did you test with local files on local drives or some specific network locations?
Maybe we talking about different things?

Steps (aim is to setup connection to some album art that you have on a disk):
  • open track properties dbox .. go to Artwork tab
  • press LookUp image button ... complaint: (a wasted trip to the Internet ... couldn't there be a Browse button at this level, or in the context menu?)
  • click Browse button which is available now ... complaint (once you have noticed this button, you don't forget it ... but it not so easy to notice in the 1st instance ... the dbox is full of colourful art, and there are two buttons in the traditional right hand corner, and one of them is highlighted ... this sort of hides that lone button on the left ... This was the OP's original point, and I agree because it caused me a problem when I started with MM5)
  • ===> the browser is positioned within MediaMonkey ... the default should be at the track's folder.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Barry4679 wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:09 pm Steps (aim is to setup connection to some album art that you have on a disk):
  • open track properties dbox .. go to Artwork tab
  • press LookUp image button ... complaint: (a wasted trip to the Internet ... couldn't there be a Browse button at this level, or in the context menu?)
  • click Browse button which is available now ... complaint (once you have noticed this button, you don't forget it ... but it not so easy to notice in the 1st instance ... the dbox is full of colourful art, and there are two buttons in the traditional right hand corner, and one of them is highlighted ... this sort of hides that lone button on the left ... This was the OP's original point, and I agree because it caused me a problem when I started with MM5)
There is simpler way to add local Album art to selected tracks. Set preview Window to show selected tracks, Select track -> Drag and Drop local Image to track -> Select apply to all tracks on Album -> Select image cover Type -> OK, Done :) Note: You can do same Drag and Drop to Artwork tab of Properties window.
Barry4679 wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:09 pm
  • Browse button should default to path of First selected track
For me it defaults to track selected folder always.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Peke wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:09 am There is simpler way ...
That's good, I wouldn't have thought of that. It worked like that with MM4?

Is good, but the other way should work as well ... ie. "browse" from the art tab of the Track Properties dbox, with a "browse" button available earlier and more prominently ... ie "Browse" button alongside the "Lookup Image" button.

Peke wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:09 am For me it defaults to track selected folder always.
Not for me. So it must be the issue that Ludek was asking about.

I didn't answer his question; my tracks are on a NAS.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Barry4679 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:47 am
Peke wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:09 am For me it defaults to track selected folder always.
Not for me. So it must be the issue that Ludek was asking about.

I didn't answer his question; my tracks are on a NAS.
Is your NAS browseable from within Windows Explorer or you added it manually (e.g. via IP in Add/Rescan > Add location.. > Network ... > [ADD])
?

EDIT: Replicated and tracked/fixed as https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=17702 in build 2331
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Ludek wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:07 pm Is your NAS browseable from within Windows Explorer or you added it manually (e.g. via IP in Add/Rescan > Add location.. > Network ... > [ADD])
?
My NAS is browsable by Explorer, and MM sees the track paths as //NAS-Name/, not //xxx.xxx.x.xxx/
But I have the Ethernet marked as "public" in Windows.
So I don't know how to answer that question. I added the NAS to MM years ago.
I would have answered saying that it had been added by name, not by IP Address .... networking is all a mystery to me :D

Ludek wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:07 pm Is your NAS browseable from within Windows Explorer or you added it manually (e.g. via IP in Add/Rescan > Add location.. > Network ... > [ADD])
?
OK, I will retest in 2331, thanks.
Lowlander

Re: Lookup Image / File Properties / Auto Tag ... general first impressions [#17702]

Post by Lowlander »

So, the question is if you can see the NAS listed when using Add/Rescan Files to add a network location.