TAGS- I modify externaly, but in MM5 not

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

jotixce

TAGS- I modify externaly, but in MM5 not

Post by jotixce »

Hi,

PROBLEM:

I have make a whole colletion of works of Georg Friedrich Händel (6500 tracks) and put them in MM5. In orther to have them in a "good order" album/composer, and when I say Album, I refer to this wiki list [ https://ca.wikipedia.org/wiki/Llista_de ... %C3%A4ndel ] each one a Volumen.

In order to get what I wanted I make many modification to the TAGS with "mp3tag", but at the end it was im possible to modify the Album Artist of some of them , and also 76 tracks of Vol 20 Trio Sonatas wasn't in MM5 [perhaps more of other volums I created ...]

At the end I change the directory [ it was like deleting all for MM5] of all the Händel works, and scaned again the library of MM5 .... When It ask me to delete or give the new location of the 6500 tracks it crashed . To send de log it take a while, but I could not get the reference. It was yesterday .

Then I kill the process becouse it was freezed, and charged the directory of Händelstracks again, scaned.... and .... Every thing OK.

I'm putting in MM5 all my classical collection [ from medieval to XXI ], it could be 100.000 tracks or more ... could MM5 "resist"?

Jordi Xicola
rusty

Re: TAGS- I modify externaly, but in MM5 not

Post by rusty »

Hi Jordi,

We'd love to fix the issues you're facing, but reading through this, it's difficult to understand exactly what bug(s) you're reporting or how to replicate them. Can you identify each issue separately and for each issue indicate the exact steps taken to replicate the problem?

For issues that can't be consistently replicated, a debug log is helpful. Please see this post for more details.

Thanks so much for your help with this.

-Rusty
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

MediaMonkey can handle more than that amount of files.

When you're missing files in MediaMonkey try using Entire Library > Location to navigate to the files, if they're still missing then you can assume they're actually not in the Library: https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/kno ... y-library/
Related: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... ibrary/5.0

For sorting you can sort on any column or sort on multiple columns: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... ng_Sorting
jotixce

Post by jotixce »

Hi,

The problem is difficult to explain to you, since the log file created by MM5 I could not get the ID.

Rusty, I will give you access to my collection of GF Händel and you can , perhaps, replicate my problems, which are:

1.- Massive external updates via "Mp3tag" or through MM5 "Properties" of a particular TAG [in my case Album Artist]  could not be updated via "Add/rescann for a second time", is like it has a the property "not overwrite"

2.- One of the folders with 76 files, MM5 could only locate one. I also try with "locate". When I erased the whole collection and added again, this and the point one problems were solved.

3.- When I erased the collection of GF Händel, when I restarted MM5 a pop up told me to delete the 6500 files not found or give a new location, ....  at that point it crashed. It took a while to send you the log, but no prompted me for an ID, perhaps the log also crashed.

I cannot give you more details. I know this is like looking for a needle in a haystack. Never mine, the REBOOT option is always there.

Jordi
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

1) Anytime you update outside of MediaMonkey you'll need to rescan. Make sure that MediaMonkey is also set to update files on rescan (Tools > Options > Library) by having Update file info from tags when rescanning enabled. If the outside updates don't change the timestamp (date modified) disable the option to only do this for files with changed timestamp.

2) Use Entire Library > Location by navigating to the folder with the files to make sure they're really not in MediaMonkey. MM5 should no longer have issues with too long Paths (over 246 characters which isn't uncommon for classical music, if you're on Windows 10).
jotixce

Post by jotixce »

Hi,

Thanks a lot for you help.

Jordi
rusty

Post by rusty »

Hi Jordi,

To follow up, I tested this with some of the tracks you provided, BUT unfortunately, was unable to replicate the issues that you described. i.e.
1) edits to 'album artist' in MP3tag were recognized correctly in MediaMonkey
2) if the tracks are moved outside of MediaMonkey, then MediaMonkey was able to find them using the 'locate moved and missing' dialog
Note: we did fix scanning issues in build 2325 and another one in the upcoming build.

If there's anything else that you can think of that would help me track down the problems, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
-Rusty
jotixce

Post by jotixce »

Hi,

The thing is that when I uploaded the CD's to GoogleDrive, some did not pass through!!! .... because the length of the name of the tracks, as "Lowlander" suggested. So what I have done is correct all of them, and upload to GD.

I hope this will work. Tomorrow I will try.

Thanks for your help. I will keep the Händel collection for a while, so if you wish, you can download the whole, little by little. When you are finished, please tell me so, and I will delete them.

Thanks a lot
Jordi
rusty

Post by rusty »

Hi Jordi,

In general, it's much easier to track down a bug if you can determine a set of steps that can consistently replicate the problem, and if those steps involve thousands of files to narrow it down to e.g. the one directory (or file) that's causing the problem(s). And if you can figure out the exact steps, then try to replicate the problem with the debug build/dbgview running and generate a log illustrating the problem (see step 4b).

i.e. I appreciate you sharing the files, but even if I download the 100's of files that have been shared, given that there aren't any clear repro steps, it would likely be a waste of time. That's why I'm suggesting that if you can replicate the problem it would be great to figure out the steps / files that cause it, and if you can't to try to replicate the problem with a smaller subset of files and share the debug log with us (letting us know which line number in the debug log is associated with the problem).

Thanks for your help and understanding!

-Rusty
jotixce

Post by jotixce »

Hi,

Once Again I have revised all the tags Externaly throgh Mp3Tag, and MM5 do not actualize it. I think my mistake is that I dont use MM5 TAG's facilities.

In order to avoid further problems with external TAG aplications, I'm now going to use MM5 TAG. I should have to change my ways .....

When I''m finish I tell ya.

Jordi
Peke

Post by Peke »

jotixce wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:46 am Once Again I have revised all the tags Externaly throgh Mp3Tag, and MM5 do not actualize it. I think my mistake is that I dont use MM5 TAG's facilities.
Each time you update tags outside MM tracks needs to be re scanned in order that MM pick up updated tags.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
IanRTaylorUK

Post by IanRTaylorUK »

Would it make sense to set the Add / Rescan options for the disk location with a schedule of "At Startup"?

In the options, there is an option to "Update File Info from Tages when Rescanning FIles" with a sub-option "Only for Files with Changed Timestamp or Size"

Hover the cursor over the respective options / fields etc. to get additional information / tips.
Ian Taylor
jotixce

Post by jotixce »

Hi everyone,

Thanks to Rusty, Lowlander, and IanRTaylorUK.

Rusty, I received you message and I do it the hard way: I clean up my HDD (format F:). Then I recover all the files, and "externaly", I modified TAG's Gender to "classical", and "Composer" and "Album Artist" to "Georg Friedrich Händel". NOW IT'S ALL OK, NO MORE COMPLAINS, ..... but ....... one last thing ....

..... "Album Artist" (as I told you other times) some times do not get what I have in my HD. Could you please upload Vol 7 (only 12 files)? Perhaps you will see that HWV 202 get Emma Kirby when in my HD ther is "Georg Friedrich Händel" ..... Had this something to do with the lookup for automàtic tag???

With Vol. 12 I have has the same problem, but I used the MM5 tag, and the TAG was the same as in my HD. Lets see if it will not change ....

I have send a message to Rusty with sreenshots.

Once again, Thnaks a lot for you patience.

Jordi XIcola
rusty

Post by rusty »

Hi Jordi,

Some of the tracks in Vol7 are tagged with conflicting values, resulting in the Album Artist appearing differently in different apps. To explain:

As shown in the MM5 tag reference document the Album Artist field for FLAC files isn't applied consistently across different apps. Different apps use one of: ALBUM ARTIST, ALBUMARTIST, or ENSEMBLE, and MediaMonkey reads all 3 (in that order of preference).

The tracks that you shared with me have the following tags
ALBUM ARTIST: Emma Kirkby
ALBUMARTIST: Georg Friedrich Händel
ENSEMBLE: Emma Kirkby

So when MediaMonkey scans the tracks, it uses the ALBUM ARTIST value (i.e. 'Emma Kirkby').

-Rusty

p.s. when MediaMonkey writes an Album Artist tag, it also writes to all three variants so these inconsistencies are corrected
jotixce

Post by jotixce »

Hi,

Once more thanks a lot for the lesson.

Your Aplication is so Huge (meaning full of possibilities), that I hope I will learn all of them, litlle by little.

Jordi