My Battle with Cover Art [#17630, 17631, 17632]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

stoffel65

My Battle with Cover Art [#17630, 17631, 17632]

Post by stoffel65 »

Got some trouble with managing my Cover Arts. Maybe I don't get the philosophy right, but maybe there are some Bugs:

Image doubling:
- Add two Images as cover art via Properties - Image - Search Image (say one image is front, one is backside)
- Close / Open Properties - Image again
- Change Image type of first image from Front cover to Back cover
- Close / Open Properties - Image again
Now you have 4 images! The two images are doubled under folder_2_2.jpg and folder_3.jpg
You can repeat this, creating even more duplicates!

Process of changing folder.jpg
I simply want to replace an existing folder.jpg with a new image found by the Image Search service (say better resolution)
- Open Properties - Image
- Delete existing image folder.jpg
- Find new image via "Image search"
- The new image cannot be saved as folder.jpg, although I just deleted the old version. Instead I am offered a new name Filename.THM which I don't want.
Reason: The old folder.jpg hasn't be deleted yet. This process starts after the Properties Dialog has been closed, resulting sometimes in an additional Dialog "Do you want to delete ressource ... Yes, Yes to all..."
To save the new Image under same filename as old, you have to close the Properties-Dialog before searching for a new image. That's annoying!

Cover-View on Artist-Node
If there is more than one Album for an artist, I see a kaleidoscope of the albums belonging to the artist as the artist node. That's fine, but only for most of the artists.
Sometimes I see only one cover although there are a number of them underneath, when opening the Artist Node. Why?
Lowlander

Re: My Battle with Cover Art

Post by Lowlander »

1) Which build of MediaMonkey and this is all related to external Artwork?

2) The folder.jpg file wouldn't be deleted until you OK the Properties. This is why when adding the new Artwork it has this problem. I assume if you:
a) Open Properties and remove folder.jpg
b) OK Properties
c) Open Properties and add folder.jpg
that this problem doesn't occur?

3) Are the additional covers of files where Album Artist matches the selected Artist value? Only where Album Artist matches the Artist value would it be considered Albums belonging to the Artist.
rusty

Post by rusty »

Thanks for the reports re. first 2 issues with artwork handling. We're looking into them at:
https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=17631
https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=17632

(and also a related item at https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=17630)

-Rusty
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

stoffel65 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:25 am Cover-View on Artist-Node
If there is more than one Album for an artist, I see a kaleidoscope of the albums belonging to the artist as the artist node. That's fine, but only for most of the artists.
Sometimes I see only one cover although there are a number of them underneath, when opening the Artist Node. Why?
I think that they build the matrix of cover art so that it looks attractive. ... ie. it looks balanced and tidy if it contains 1, 4, or 9 albums. So An artist with 2, 3, 5, albums etc, has an incomplete matrix.

Maybe this is what you are seeing.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
stoffel65

Post by stoffel65 »

Barry4679 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:52 pm I think that they build the matrix of cover art so that it looks attractive. ... ie. it looks balanced and tidy if it contains 1, 4, or 9 albums. So An artist with 2, 3, 5, albums etc, has an incomplete matrix.

Maybe this is what you are seeing.
Oh yes of course you are right!
When there is 2,3,5 Number of albums, I see no matrix!

Isn't it possible to "mark" that there is more than 1 album in this case? Maybe leave one tile empty? I found it very confusing to see only one Cover in this case, whereas I see the Matrix in all other situations. I think there should be some kind of consistency.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

stoffel65 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:37 am When there is 2,3,5 Number of albums, I see no matrix!
You should see a matrix if there are 5 albums. You should see a matrix built from 4 of the albums.
The only times that I see no matrix is when there are only 2 or 3 albums.

stoffel65 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:37 am Isn't it possible to "mark" that there is more than 1 album in this case? Maybe leave one tile empty? I found it very confusing to see only one Cover in this case, whereas I see the Matrix in all other situations. I think there should be some kind of consistency.
I guess they could do this if there was enough demand for it.

The complaint that I have about this area regards the AlbumArtist node. The matrix is often "wrong" If an artist owns a few albums, and also appears on a few soundtrack albums or some kind of composite album collecting mixed tracks from various unrelated artists. ... The matrix mechanism weighs all of these albums equally, so that I often see the matrix for an albumartist which entirely ignores their own albums, and just shows a bunch of soundtrack albums where they had just one track.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
rjwerth

Post by rjwerth »

I'm also having a bit of trouble with the artwork on the Artist section. I have it set to lookup in the background, but I don't see it happening with any of the artists. Almost all of them are just album art. Could this be due to importing the database from MM4 instead of starting fresh?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Background Artwork lookup only happens when Artwork is unknown. It doesn't replace existing Artwork.
Werewolfhero

Post by Werewolfhero »

Do you have it set up as Save to MP3 and to folder? That is likely the source of the doubling of images. One copy is probably the .jpg and the other the .thm
Mediamonkey Gold 5.0.0.2338