Burning CD Function is Missing [#17807]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Ludek

Re: Burning CD Function is Missing

Post by Ludek »

I wonder whether you are missing Audio CD burning or data CD/DVD/BD burning?

I guess that using optical discs for backups is quite obsolete these days, or are you still using it?

I understand that for Audio CD burning can be still useful e.g. to burn a CD for usage in an older car?

If it is just about Audio CD burning then would it be enough to implement something like right-click of selected tracks > Send to > Audio CD (burn) ?
Snofru

Re: Burning CD Function is Missing

Post by Snofru »

Ludek wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:31 amIf it is just about Audio CD burning then would it be enough to implement something like right-click of selected tracks > Send to > Audio CD (burn) ?
Audio CD would be enough and yes, this function would be fine for me.

Self-mixed and burned CDs are also nice presents and you can be sure that they are compatible with nearly all music playing devices.
MMW Version 5.1.0.2827 Portable
Samsung Galaxy S23+, S9 and Sony NW-A105 with MMA Beta 2.0.0.1156
loondawg

Burning CDs

Post by loondawg »

Is this ever going to be added back? Or was it added back somewhere and I just can't find it?

I know some people see CDs as obsolete. But there are still plenty of reasons why people want to burn CDs.
rusty

Re: MediaMonkey 5 CD Burning Inquiry

Post by rusty »

For now, the simplest workaround is as follows:
1) In MM5, create a playlist of the CD contents that you want to burn, and then use 'Send to' > M3U/xpsf playlist (or Export all playlists)
2) Install / run MM4 and scan the directory containing the above .m3u playlist
3) Run the burn wizard

As to the future, it's a question of prioritizing features based on demand vs the implementation cost. If customer feedback is that this is a much missed feature, we'll definitely be listening.

-Rusty
loondawg

Post by loondawg »

Thanks Rusty. I appreciate it. Right now, I'm running both but really trying to migrate to MM5 and use it as much as possible. The burning CD thing is pretty much the only thing I keep having to go back to MM4 for.

I realize CDs are considered dead by most. But I actually still burn a remarkable amount of them though as it keeps me from having to upgrade some of my little used systems like the stereo in the garage and a favorite old alarm clock. Plus I have some older friends that sill like their CDs. Oh well.

I do appreciate the suggested workaround. But I'm still running full libraries in both versions so it's no problem getting the music to burn. It's just that I am really trying to ween myself away from MM4 and this is that one last sticking point. But if this is what it is, that's cool.
hck0

Post by hck0 »

I NEED Burn option!!!! I am a DJ and have to burn CDs for my shows....
I do NOT want to have to keep/use MM4 just for that - what is the point of upgrading if vital functions are gone?
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hi, are you using just Audio CD burning or also data CD/DVD/BD burning?

Is it enough for you something like right-click of selected tracks > Send to > Audio CD (burn)
or do you need all the burn options (with the Burn wizard) like in MM4 ?
Luqueje

Post by Luqueje »

I just bought the lifetime MM5 license and, like others, was unpleasantly surprised to find the CD burn option absent. Like mentioned before, I still buy audio CD's and after ripping them to my hard drive/music server, I frequently burn audio CD's for my car stereo. I want to completely migrate from MM4 gold to MM5 gold. Having to retain the MM4 installation just for the sake of burning audio CD's is just a huge pain in the backside. Otherwise, I'm very pleased to far with MM5. It is very responsive and customizable and so far the only gripe I have with it is the missing CD burning feature.

@ Ludek: for me it's just the audio CD burning feature I'm missing. For data CD/DVD burning I use other tools.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Luqueje wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 11:09 am @ Ludek: for me it's just the audio CD burning feature I'm missing. For data CD/DVD burning I use other tools.
OK, thanks for the feedback, entered this feature request as https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=17807
Luqueje

Re: Burning CD Function is Missing [#17807]

Post by Luqueje »

Thanks!
crawdad63

Post by crawdad63 »

How can you release a media jukebox without a burn function?
Peke

Post by Peke »

crawdad63 wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:01 am How can you release a media jukebox without a burn function?
Simple, netbooks/ultrabooks/latest desktop cases do not have space for CD/DVD/BD drive (recently there is no space for LAN connector as it is too thick).
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
drakinite

Post by drakinite »

To restate Peke's response, CDs and DVDs are continually going out of fashion, and they are now in quite the minority. The thinking was that most users would not need it. However, as discussed already on this thread and others, it looks like there's still enough users who regularly use CDs to warrant at least some inclusion of CD burning functionality.
Student electrical-computer engineer, web programmer, part-time MediaMonkey developer, full-time MediaMonkey enthusiast
I uploaded many addons to MM's addon page, but not all of those were created by me. "By drakinite, Submitted by drakinite" means I made it on my own time. "By Ventis Media, Inc., Submitted by drakinite" means it may have been made by me or another MediaMonkey developer, so instead of crediting/thanking me, please thank the team. You can still ask me for support on any of our addons.
crawdad63

Post by crawdad63 »

Whatever. beyond the burner function, I'm finding that Version 5 is extremely buggy and a waste of my money. Also I think you're being hacked. A couple of days after I purchased Version 5 on a card I very rarely use I got two bad charges on it; one from England and one from China. Coincidence?
To each his reach, but if I don't cop it ain't mine to have
George Clinton
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Make sure you're updated to the latest release: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86639&sd=d as it fixes many issues.

As far as the charges, it's likely coincidence as there are no other reports on this happening. Also the sale and credit card are not handled by MediaMonkey, but instead the purchase site. You may want to contact them instead if you think there is an issue.