Configure an alternative file manager as an external tool

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

tbm72

Configure an alternative file manager as an external tool

Post by tbm72 »

I use XYPlorer instead of Windows Explorer on my PC (a file manager similar to Total Commander etc) and in MM4 I configured it as an external tool so I could select files and locate them in that instead. Is there any way of doing similar in MM5, even if it's via a registry hack?
Ludek

Re: Configure an alternative file manager as an external tool

Post by Ludek »

Can you specify how exactly you configured this in MM4 ?
tbm72

Post by tbm72 »

I had to go and check and I see that I was using the External Tools addon in MM4 which let me configure 3rd party apps:

https://www.mediamonkey.com/addons/brow ... rnaltools/

I guess as it's an addon it's unlikely to make it to MM5 unless that author updates it. Shame as I can't stand using Win Explorer anymore!
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Are you sure that it was that addon?

Can you eleborate the use-case? i.e. where you selected tracks and how you used it exaclty? Are you talking about selecting tracks via add files dialog?
tbm72

Post by tbm72 »

It was definitely that addon. Let's say I wanted to open a particular music track within XYPlorer (instead of Win Explorer) so I could copy it or edit it or do some other file management things. I could just right-click the track in MM4 and go to Tools>XYplorer and it would open up right in XYPlorer in the folder with the track highlighted.

I also used External Tools to define apps like Audacity so I could right click a track and use Tools>Audacity to open it straight up for instant editing.

I work in music production and it was a really useful feature that I used a lot to quickly jump to specific music tracks within my library for editing and other file management things.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

OK, I haven't tried that addon, but why not to use MM5 directly for the management and not use drag and drop to the Audiacity ? It works for me on 2293. I.e. drag a file from MM and drop to Audiacity
tbm72

Post by tbm72 »

Agreed, I can just drag and drop into Audacity but I have certain situations when I'm working on projects where I need to access tracks directly in my file manager for various processes and it's just something I'd gotten used to with MM4. Not to worry, it's not a massive issue, just need to adapt my workflow or perhaps the author might update his addon for MM5 in the future.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

You might want to try to hack the registry value HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\explore\command per https://qa.mythicsoft.com/10473/total-c ... ter-search and then Find More From Same > Folder (exporer) should open the folder in your file manager. Not tried myself yet though
tbm72

Post by tbm72 »

Just revisiting this issue as I've been playing around with a few sample library managers today and they all have the option to locate a file externally within the user's file explorer (usually something like right click>Show In Explorer). When I do that, they all locate the file directly in my alternative file manager of choice (XYPlorer).

I've set XYPlorer to be my default file manager globally in Windows and every other app locates files externally within XYPlorer. It seems that MM is the only one that defaults to using Windows Explorer.

I was just wondering if there's a reason that MM acts differently when handling external file management to all the others I've been trying today (including Sononym, Resonic Pro, ADSR Sample Manager).
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

tbm72 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:22 am I've set XYPlorer to be my default file manager globally in Windows and every other app locates files externally within XYPlorer. It seems that MM is the only one that defaults to using Windows Explorer.
Can you please elaborate how exactly you set the XYPlorer to the default file manager in Windows and how MM defaults to Windows Explorer. i.e. which exact actions in MM defaults to the Windows Explorer? Do you mean Find More From Same > Folder (Explorer) or menu File > Open URL or file > [Browse...] ?

Thanks!
tbm72

Post by tbm72 »

It's just a setting in XYPlorer that presumably makes a registry change so that XYPlorer is used for any file actions:

But in MM if I right click a track and go to 'Find More From Same > Folder (Explorer)' it still opens up an instance of Windows Explorer instead of XYPlorer.

In all the other 3 separate sample manager apps I've used today, doing the same thing (e.g. right clicking an audio file and selecting 'Open in Explorer') correctly opens up the file's location in XYPlorer.

The only app that insists on opening a file's location in a Windows Explorer window is MM. Even Windows Explorer itself will open an instance of XYPlorer if I double click a folder inside it.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Can you please check if XYPlorer changes this registry Key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\open\command , HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell , HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Folder\shell and if yes can you share the values?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
tbm72

Post by tbm72 »

I'm not sure whether XYPlorer has changed any of those values (I don't know what they were originally) but these are the current values:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\open\command
(Default): %SystemRoot%\Explorer.exe
DelegateExecute: {11dbb47c-a525-400b-9e80-a54615a090c0}

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell
(Default): (value not set)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Folder\shell
(Default): (value not set)

I don't see any reference to XYPlorer in those 3 keys but I presume it must have made a change somewhere as all the other apps are launching it when I go to open a file location.

Edit: I deselected the option in XYPlorer to make it the default explorer and those 3 registry keys above stayed the same.
rusty

Post by rusty »

Info about xyxplorer registry edits that are made to replace Windows Explorer as the default:
https://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic.php?t=19620
tbm72

Post by tbm72 »

rusty wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:42 am Info about xyxplorer registry edits that are made to replace Windows Explorer as the default:
https://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic.php?t=19620
Thanks Rusty but I think I've seen that post before and all my registry keys they quote are as they should be (they're different keys than the ones Peke asked about). I'll see if the developer of XYPlorer can shed any light on it.