[REQ] Third party killer features in MM4 we would need in MM5

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

beg

[REQ] Third party killer features in MM4 we would need in MM5

Post by beg »

Hi guys,

I am using MM professionally manageing a large tango music archive. In order to work with our music in MM4 we rely on some features provided by third party add-ons. We understand that those won't work in MM5 and we know quite certain that some may not be re-developped for MM5. Without those features we'd have to stay with MM4 as long as possible.

Therefore we would like to suggest following features to be included natively in MM5 since we consider them very usefull and basic features in the first place.

- To copy and paste a given selection of meta-tags from one track/tracklist to another, optionally with transfering playlist history or not (Advanced Duplicate Find)

- Rightclick on a track and "Find more form same XXX". This does exist in MM5 for album/artist/composer/year, but we need this most of all for Titel. It should be possible to configure.. (Advanced Duplicate Find)

- a flexible way to search and replace in tags (RegExp Find & Replace)

- a flexible way to configure various reports (Just list albums, Custom Reports)

- AH - just found another huge issue for us: We work a lot with multiple cover pics - front, back, inside, media labels and so on. To switch between those was already supported very poorly in MM4, but now in MM5 I don't find any useable way (only over two clicks via context menu - that's not practical to flip through various media pictures!) Please implement something like right/left arrows allowing to flip through cover pics!

I do hope that eventually those features will become available. Preferable as native MM 5 features..

And thx for all the guys working on MM4 & MM5!
Snofru

Re: [REQ] Third party killer features in MM4 we would need in MM5

Post by Snofru »

To copy and paste a given selection of meta-tags from one track/tracklist to another, optionally with transfering playlist history or not
This would be very important for me. I wouldn't want to switch to MM5 without a solution for this.

The other points are important, too, though...
MMW Version 5.1.0.2827 Portable
Samsung Galaxy S23+, S9 and Sony NW-A105 with MMA Beta 2.0.0.1156
MagGyver

Post by MagGyver »

Same here. I am looking forward to all the newness and updates from MM5 but my entire MM4 experience is deeply integrated with this featureset from Advanced Find & Fix along with some others. I cannot even contemplate making the switch until either the extension is updated or these features are added into MM5...
Snofru wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:41 am
To copy and paste a given selection of meta-tags from one track/tracklist to another, optionally with transfering playlist history or not
This would be very important for me. I wouldn't want to switch to MM5 without a solution for this.

The other points are important, too, though...
DJ Maggie
MM user since 2005
MMW5, MMA
linktr.ee/djmaggie
drakinite

Post by drakinite »

Hi there! I'm working on getting popular MM4 addons ported to MM5. Thank you for bringing those addons to my attention; I'll contact the developers and see if we can get them ported.
Student electrical-computer engineer, web programmer, part-time MediaMonkey developer, full-time MediaMonkey enthusiast
I uploaded many addons to MM's addon page, but not all of those were created by me. "By drakinite, Submitted by drakinite" means I made it on my own time. "By Ventis Media, Inc., Submitted by drakinite" means it may have been made by me or another MediaMonkey developer, so instead of crediting/thanking me, please thank the team. You can still ask me for support on any of our addons.
pderwael

Post by pderwael »

beg wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:23 pm - a flexible way to configure various reports (Just list albums, Custom Reports)
+1 for this one
drakinite

Post by drakinite »

beg wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:23 pm - To copy and paste a given selection of meta-tags from one track/tracklist to another, optionally with transfering playlist history or not (Advanced Duplicate Find)

- Rightclick on a track and "Find more form same XXX". This does exist in MM5 for album/artist/composer/year, but we need this most of all for Titel. It should be possible to configure.. (Advanced Duplicate Find)
Snofru wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:41 am
MagGyver wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:20 pm Same here. I am looking forward to all the newness and updates from MM5 but my entire MM4 experience is deeply integrated with this featureset from Advanced Find & Fix along with some others. I cannot even contemplate making the switch until either the extension is updated or these features are added into MM5...
Hey guys. Bex (the author of Advanced Duplicate Find & Fix) hasn't gotten back to me, and my guess is that he won't, since he hasn't been active for several years. I'm starting work on a replacement for MediaMonkey 5. It won't be an exact port, because we want to focus on the features and user experience that it provides, instead of its means of getting there.

Could you three help me out, and describe exactly which features of ADF&F are necessary for you? Better yet, if you could record a video of a sample use case of what you use, that would be great.

1) Re: "Find More from Same": Do you use the advanced query features that it provides (Querying with multiple fields at once, and using options other than "Equals", e.g. "Contains", "Doesn't Equal", "Doesn't Start With", etc; as well as advanced queries for numerical fields, such as rating > 3, or size = 7000 kB +/- 1000 kB) or are you just looking for a custom "Find more from same X" field, e.g. Find more from same Title and Author?
2) Re: Pasting meta-tags, I'm not certain what the best way of going about it would be from a UI/UX standpoint. There would be many ways of approaching it, so I'd like to take your suggestions if you have any.
3) Are there any other duplicate-finding features that you feel are necessary, aside from the Find More from Same search and copying/pasting metadata?

Thank you,
Last edited by drakinite on Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Student electrical-computer engineer, web programmer, part-time MediaMonkey developer, full-time MediaMonkey enthusiast
I uploaded many addons to MM's addon page, but not all of those were created by me. "By drakinite, Submitted by drakinite" means I made it on my own time. "By Ventis Media, Inc., Submitted by drakinite" means it may have been made by me or another MediaMonkey developer, so instead of crediting/thanking me, please thank the team. You can still ask me for support on any of our addons.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

2) The method of right click, Copy Metadata and Paste Metadata worked well in my case. There were lots of additional settings as what to copy and what to do with the file copied from (it could be deleted).

I personally need, Copy Date Added and Play History. Removal of copied from files would be a helpful option.
MagGyver

Post by MagGyver »

Lowlander wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:01 pm 2) The method of right click, Copy Metadata and Paste Metadata worked well in my case. There were lots of additional settings as what to copy and what to do with the file copied from (it could be deleted).

I personally need, Copy Date Added. Removal of copied from files would be a helpful option.
Same. I created a preset that pastes all metadata and then deletes the original file, without a confirmation prompt. I use this feature a LOT when I am upgrading the audio file from lossy to lossless.
DJ Maggie
MM user since 2005
MMW5, MMA
linktr.ee/djmaggie
Snofru

Post by Snofru »

Also for me No 2. - Copy and Paste Metadata is the only part of the Addon that I use.

I use it in 2 ways:
1. Is just like MagGyver: Replacing an Audio file with a higher quality version and then replacing all the tags, the playcount and the playlists and then deleting the old version.

2. I add another version of of an album, e.g. a remix. I want to keep the old one but replace some of the tags (e.g. Genre, Lyrics) but not all of them (e.g. Album, Track #, Album Art), but also replace the playlists and maybe also Played # and Last Played. Therefore it will be important to choose which tags to replace and also to have the option to delete the song or not.

A little bit tricky could be when you replace the playlists. Currently it means that if you choose to delete the song the replacement is in all the playlists in which the originals were - perfect for me. When the original is not deleted you currently get the replacement song twice in every affected playlist. This solution is ok, I manually delete the 2nd one, but it would be perfect if the song would remain only once in the playlist.
MMW Version 5.1.0.2827 Portable
Samsung Galaxy S23+, S9 and Sony NW-A105 with MMA Beta 2.0.0.1156
Scott

Post by Scott »

Add me to the list of only really caring about the metadata copy & paste. Mainly the one-to-one for the purpose mentioned above (replacing a track), but sometimes I do use the one-to-many paste. The one-to-one is really vital though - enough so that I hesitate to switch to MM5 full time.