Suggestion: Move seek bar's bounding box up by a few pixels in the MD skins, to make it easier to click [#17381]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

drakinite

Suggestion: Move seek bar's bounding box up by a few pixels in the MD skins, to make it easier to click [#17381]

Post by drakinite »

Hi,

Before I switched to using a waveform preview in the player, I was pretty frustrated with the seek bar's bounding box being too low in both Material Design skins. I would try to click right on the edge of the seek bar, but it would not recognize my clicks.

I made my own tweak just now to bump it up by 6 pixels, by changing the following:

- gave the .seekBarOuter class top: -6px;
- changed the .ticksOuter class to top: 11 px; (Not sure what the .ticksOuter class is supposed to be, but it started with top: 5px;)
- changed [data-id='player-seekbar'] .seekBar to top: 6px;
- changed [data-id='player-seekbar'] .seekBarBefore to top: 6px;
- changed [data-id='player-seekbar'] .seekBarThumb to top: 1px; (because it started out as -5px)

Before: https://puu.sh/GI1Pi/371c2616e1.mp4 (Attempting, but failing to click on/ever-so-slightly-above the seek bar)

After: https://puu.sh/GI1OB/0dd842f989.mp4

Granted, this further exposes the laggy tooltips issue, since it causes a significant UI stutter when the mouse crosses over the boundary between the player and the other UI elements. But if/when the tooltip lag is improved, I think it would be a good improvement to the Material Design skins.
Last edited by drakinite on Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Student electrical-computer engineer, web programmer, part-time MediaMonkey developer, full-time MediaMonkey enthusiast
I uploaded many addons to MM's addon page, but not all of those were created by me. "By drakinite, Submitted by drakinite" means I made it on my own time. "By Ventis Media, Inc., Submitted by drakinite" means it may have been made by me or another MediaMonkey developer, so instead of crediting/thanking me, please thank the team. You can still ask me for support on any of our addons.
Ludek

Re: Suggestion: Move seek bar's bounding box up by a few pixels in the MD skins, to make it easier to click

Post by Ludek »

Nice, the downside is that it interferres with the scrollar when 'Status bar' view element is disabled like this:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/s4fw7muqhf21d ... 5.png?dl=0

But I agree that a smaller overlap (like 2 pixels) would work (especially when status bar is enabled by default)

EDIT: OK, I tweaked the MD skins and added 4 px delta (as 4 px overlap still works also when you want to use the scrolbar above).
Will be in 2272.
Last edited by Ludek on Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lowlander

Re: Suggestion: Move seek bar's bounding box up by a few pixels in the MD skins, to make it easier to click

Post by Lowlander »

The overlap of the player progress and the scroll bar as currently is really annoying, I often end up moving playback position (which I very rarely care to do) when I'm trying to use the scrollbar (which I do regularly).
drakinite

Post by drakinite »

Is this what you mean? Attempting to click and drag the scroll bar when it's way at the bottom? https://puu.sh/GI9kc/b870469958.mp4
Student electrical-computer engineer, web programmer, part-time MediaMonkey developer, full-time MediaMonkey enthusiast
I uploaded many addons to MM's addon page, but not all of those were created by me. "By drakinite, Submitted by drakinite" means I made it on my own time. "By Ventis Media, Inc., Submitted by drakinite" means it may have been made by me or another MediaMonkey developer, so instead of crediting/thanking me, please thank the team. You can still ask me for support on any of our addons.
drakinite

Post by drakinite »

Ludek wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:21 pm EDIT: OK, I tweaked the MD skins and added 4 px delta (as 4 px overlap still works also when you want to use the scrolbar above).
Will be in 2272.
Nice! I think 4 pixels is a fair middle-ground if 5-6 px is too much.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

No, but that also shows a problem. I mean the horizontal scrollbar of the Filelistings. For example the Now Playing node doesn't have the option to show Statusbar, thus the 2 actionable bars overlap.
drakinite

Post by drakinite »

Ohhh, now I see. That can definitely be annoying if the status bar is disabled and if the hitbox is 6px high.

Having it 4px seems like a good compromise.
drakinite

Post by drakinite »

For anyone who also does not like the seekbar click overlap, here's a tiny addon that disables it: https://www.mediamonkey.com/addons/brow ... ve-player/