UI Glitches in 2266 update [#16925][#16926][#16928]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

bdb484

UI Glitches in 2266 update [#16925][#16926][#16928]

Post by bdb484 »

I'm seeing a bunch of weird behavior with the latest update:
  1. Context menus are being cut off on both the X and Y axes
  2. When I rate a song using the context menu, it starts playing.
  3. When I upgraded, I had five tabs open. I can now only click on the first two tabs. I can only access the other three with Ctl+Tab. I also can't click to close those tabs, or click to open any new tab, so I'm stuck with the five tabs I had
  4. Clicking "edit" on a smart playlist refreshes the playlist without giving me the edit window.
  5. Some smart playlists have gone very.... not smart. One is supposed to give me 40 music tracks, ranked descending by playcount, but I'm getting 40 tracks selected with no discernible criteria. They all start with A, but are not even close to being the first in alphabetical order. Another playlist is set to Media=TV, Playcount=0, but it's giving me everything in the library with a 0 playcount.
  6. As I move down through a smart playlist, the entire contents of the playlist just vanish sometimes. It appears they're moving to the bottom of the screen, as I can see the column headers all the way down. Scrolling back up does not bring anything back into view. Once the screen glitches like this, I can't refresh the playlist until I've scrolled back to the top.
  7. In List-By-Album view, clicking on an album cover no longer allows me to drag all the album's tracks into a new playlist.
  8. In List-By-Album view, clicking on an album cover no longer allows me to navigate up and down from one album to the next. Instead, the up and down arrows move me from one track to the next, as though I had clicked on a single file.
  9. When I customize a list view or list-by-album view it often refuses to acknowledge my changes. For instance, I might add Disc# and Track#, but then those columns don't show up, or they show up and then disappear again some time later.
I'm pretty sure all of this is new with the latest update, but I'd only been using MM5 for a couple days, so I'm having trouble remembering when each of these issues showed up. I think it's possible that the last three were happening in the previous version.

OS Name: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
OS Version: 10.0.18362 N/A Build 18362
OS Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation
OS Configuration: Standalone Workstation
OS Build Type: Multiprocessor Free
Registered Organization:
System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
System Model: XPS 13 9370
System Type: x64-based PC
Processor(s): 1 Processor(s) Installed.
[01]: Intel64 Family 6 Model 142 Stepping 10 GenuineIntel ~1400 Mhz
BIOS Version: Dell Inc. 1.12.1, 12/11/2019
Lowlander

Re: Glitches in 2266 update

Post by Lowlander »

1) Already reported: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... 30&t=97347 Do you use Make text bigger' settings (in Ease of access settings)?

2) I can't reproduce. Where exactly in MediaMonkey are you invoking the Context Menu to Rate? Does it still happen after a MM restart?

3) Are they not reacting to a click or not visible? Have you tried a MM restart? Creating five tabs in 2266 and restarting MM allowed me access to all of them.

4) Where exactly do you engage Edit? It works fine for me.

5) Share a screenshot of the AutoPlaylist settings. Do you have the same results if you recreate the AutoPlaylist?

6) Unable to reproduce. What View are you using to view the AutoPlaylist?

7) I can confirm that D&D on the Artwork doesn't work. Don't know if it did before or if it was disabled on purpose (as it may not contain all files on Album).

8 ) I can confirm, but don't know if it did before or if it was disabled on purpose.

9) Can't reproduce, columns are added and removed as expected. How do you alter this, detailed steps?

Debug logs capturing a problem while you reproduce it are often invaluable: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... 30&t=86643
Peke

Re: Glitches in 2266 update

Post by Peke »

Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
bdb484

Re: UI Glitches in 2266 update [#16925][#16926]

Post by bdb484 »

Thanks.

1. I don't think I've changed anything in Ease of Access. The slider is all the way to the left, for the smallest possible text, which I assume is the default. I've yet to find a UI that uses text smaller than I prefer.

2. After a restart (why hadn't I done that already?), the problem has stopped. But I know that the times it happened, I was in one of my smart playlists, right-clicking on a track, or a batch of tracks.

3. The tabs were visible, but not reacting to clicks. They normally change color when you hover over, but they weren't even doing that. Again, they're all working after a restart.

4. I'm pulling up the context menu with a right-click on a playlist in the Media Tree, or whatever we call that left panel with all the nodes. This problem persists after repeated restarts.

5. I can't do a screenshot of the settings, because I can't get the settings window to show up. (See #4.) I also can't create a new autoplaylist, because the settings window doesn't show up. These are both playlists that I've used for years and brought over from MM4. It always seems dangerous to say this, but I'm sure the problem is not that I have the wrong settings.

6. This was happening in a Custom View -- basically List By Album, but with different columns. After a restart, the problem seems to have gone away.

7/8. I'm not sure if D&D by Album Art worked in previous MM5 versions, but it definitely worked in MM4. If it was disabled deliberately for MM5, I really hope you'll bring it back.

9. This problem half-persists after a restart. The custom layouts were vanishing no matter how I tried to set them; right-clicking on the column heads to access the context menu, or by using the top panel button (Views>Manage Views>List By Album). As soon as I refreshed, the whole thing would revert to default. After a restart, the changes stick when I right-click on the column heads, but they still revert when I use the Views button on the top panel.

I've sent debug logs via PM.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

2&6) If it happens again, capture it in a debug log (step 4b).

4&5) Note that there is no settings window in MM5, the edit is done within the Filelisting where the files on the Playlist are shown.
bdb484

Post by bdb484 »

Thanks. I'm not clear on one point, though, regarding 4/5.

Are we talking about different things when we talk about the "Settings" window? I'm talking about the window where I define the criteria for an AutoPlaylist. When I right-click a playlist, I get the Edit option, but clicking on it doesn't bring up a window to edit the playlist.

Am I looking in the wrong place, or is this just a glitch that needs to be addressed?
bdb484

Post by bdb484 »

Also, several attempts at editing the playlist should be reflected in the debug log I sent, if that's any help.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Re 4&5) I also cannot replicate your issue, if I right-click the playlist and select 'Edit' then the criteria isshown in the header ('Info panel' sub-view) like this:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tzextj28y25oq ... 7.png?dl=0
And even if the 'Info panel' sub-view is hidden then it is automatically shown after clicking 'Edit', so I don't see your issue here.
Try to capture a video (or take a screencast) to clarify.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

4&5) There is no window anymore in MediaMonkey 5, it's done within the Filelisting instead.
bdb484

Post by bdb484 »

4/5 Ah. I understand what you're talking about now. But clicking on "edit" doesn't bring up the Info panel, either: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jSL9h- ... sp=sharing

Once I used the Views button, I was able to get the Info panel. Doing so, I saw that something had happened in the playlists I mentioned, and the criteria had all been changed. I'm guessing this must have happened in the move from MM4 to MM5 somehow. I only switched over in the last week, and I've verified that the playlists remain unchanged in the old library.

Related suggestions:
  • Is it possible to put a little X in the corner of the Info panel to close it out more easily when we have to pull it up? I like that I can tweak the playlist criteria while moving back and forth across windows, which we couldn't do in MM4, but I don't really ever want to see the Info panel otherwise.
  • Also, if I change something inadvertantly in the AutoPlaylist criteria (which I do all the time), is there any way to undo those changes? In MM4, we could just click cancel and everything would go back to normal.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I can't reproduce. I disabled the Info Panel and try to edit and the edit opened (Info Panel now enabled again), but leaving the AutoPlaylist the Info Panel is disabled again (so no need to disabled it).

Once you've made an edit there is an X next to the Playlist name in the Edit panel that will discard changes.
bdb484

Post by bdb484 »

I think I've found it: As discussed above, I'm using a Custom View ("BDB-List By Album"), based on the List By Album view. When I customized it, I didn't have "Info Panel" checked under Elements.

But when I switch back to the default List By Album, I can use the context menu to edit and bring up the criteria.

I'm also able to do it if I turn on the Info Panel for the custom playlist, but I'd really prefer not to have that box up there all the time.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Thanks, I am finally able to replicate the issue. Using a custom view with 'Info Panel' disabled is really the key factor to replicate.

To be fixed as https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=16928