Beta Testing for Mac MM

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

drakinite

Re: Beta Testing for Mac MM

Post by drakinite »

Yup. I agree with everything you just said.

However, on the software side, what I *am* hopeful for is that more cross-platform developers will add support for Windows on ARM. The Surface Pro X is awesome, but the software support is abysmal. If mac developers all update their programs to work for Mac on ARM, it might set a trend to introduce better support on Windows.
Student electrical-computer engineer, web programmer, part-time MediaMonkey developer, full-time MediaMonkey enthusiast
I uploaded many addons to MM's addon page, but not all of those were created by me. "By drakinite, Submitted by drakinite" means I made it on my own time. "By Ventis Media, Inc., Submitted by drakinite" means it may have been made by me or another MediaMonkey developer, so instead of crediting/thanking me, please thank the team. You can still ask me for support on any of our addons.
tarasis

Post by tarasis »

Curious, what is the status of Mac version / also the Delphi support for Apple Silicon?
drakinite

Post by drakinite »

To my knowledge, there hasn't yet been much focus on Mac MM yet. The other devs mentioned a while ago that development for cross-platform support is planned to begin after MMW 5.0 is released - and it's getting very close to being released :wink:

As for Delphi on Apple Silicon, I don't know for sure. But according to their roadmap, it appears they're working on it: https://blog.marcocantu.com/blog/2020-n ... admap.html
But since Rosetta 2.0 is so good, I can't imagine that starting out with x86 binaries would pose too much of a problem. Also, Chromium is already being released for Apple Silicon, so when it's all done and dusted, the UI will probably be very smooth. I don't know if it's possible for an x86 Delphi on Rosetta to work with native A.S. Chromium, though. I haven't spoken directly to the core developers about it, so this is just speculation.
Student electrical-computer engineer, web programmer, part-time MediaMonkey developer, full-time MediaMonkey enthusiast
I uploaded many addons to MM's addon page, but not all of those were created by me. "By drakinite, Submitted by drakinite" means I made it on my own time. "By Ventis Media, Inc., Submitted by drakinite" means it may have been made by me or another MediaMonkey developer, so instead of crediting/thanking me, please thank the team. You can still ask me for support on any of our addons.
MAC-man

Post by MAC-man »

Any update on MM for Mac?
Countryboy

Post by Countryboy »

I have to admit the 1st time I access the updated mediamonkey website and saw the first image on the homepage with something that appears to be an imac - I kinda got excited........don't think we are there yet though.
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

My guess is that they wont be working on it until MM5 release dust has settled .. and MMA2 release is done.
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
MAC-man

Post by MAC-man »

That would be great because of the apple new M1 chip; MM5 would awesome... :D :D
drakinite

Post by drakinite »

I'm with you guys that cross-platform MM will be very awesome. :D

Dtsig's assessment is correct about the "MM5 release dust" - We have a lot of bugs we still have to tackle for 5.0.1+ first, unfortunately. We'll get there eventually! :slight_smile:
lobengular

Post by lobengular »

... and now, anything up for Mac testing?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

MediaMonkey for Android 2.0 is the first priority while also working in fixing any issues in the newly released MediaMonkey for Windows 5.0.
Countryboy

Post by Countryboy »

Considering that it took 5 years for MM5 to be officially release on windows and the comments above related to the other priorities I would not hold my breath on it..... :(
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

With MediaMonkey 5 the groundwork for the MAC version has already been done. So it's not a from-scratch product.
lobengular

Post by lobengular »

So where do we go from here? MM5 Windows is out, are you already on the MM6 before starting anything on Mac MM5? Would it ever, ever come to fruition? Sometimes we just need to come clear and let those waiting just relax and think of something else, right?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Yes, MediaMonkey 5 is out of the door, MediaMonkey 5.0.1 is being worked on which will include fixes. MediaMonkey for Android 2.0 will get more attention now and MediaMonkey for MAC should come after that. It will take some time though as some parts of MediaMonkey will have to been done specifically for MAC OS.
drakinite

Post by drakinite »

Sorry for the frustration; I understand where you're coming from. The reason we haven't given any concrete roadmaps or time estimations is because Ventis Media doesn't set release dates. This isn't because we're trying to deceive you or be dishonest. It's because if a release date is set, we'd likely have to make a compromise when the time comes; either releasing an incomplete product, or pushing back the deadline until it's ready. (Think about game development - Game devs often get tied into release dates and become forced to ship an unfinished product.) I can tell you for absolute certain that Mac MM is coming, but the reason there hasn't been any news is because there are still many bugs being ironed out before we can confidently move on to porting it to multiple OSes. Doing it this way does take longer, yes, but the team is very small; and multitasking too much would lead to dissonance and I think too much stress.