Recent Searches

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Rob_S

Recent Searches

Post by Rob_S »

MM4 used to generate a list of recent serches un the left pane below Location, files to edit, etc

Is there a way to re-run or access recent searches in MM5?

Also, I used to like the list of Artists, Genres, or albums which would display underneath those headings in the left pane, as opposed to the images in the centre pane. You do have the arrow to expand the list for years and ratings, etc.

Any chance we'll be getting this back?
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
Barry4679

Re: Recent Searches

Post by Barry4679 »

Rob_S wrote: ↑Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:01 pm MM4 used to generate a list of recent serches un the left pane below Location, files to edit, etc

Is there a way to re-run or access recent searches in MM5?
MM5 does not have a Search Results node in the Media Tree.
It has been replaced by a dropdown list in whichever search control that you used. If you use that search control again:
  • as you start to type, a dropdown list opens which shows previous search criteria that started with whatever you type so far
  • or if you press the down arrow all your previous query terms are listed ... for some stupid reason your most recent searches are at the bottom of the list
It is debatable whether this is better than what we had before.
Rob_S wrote: ↑Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:01 pm Also, I used to like the list of Artists, Genres, or albums which would display underneath those headings in the left pane, as opposed to the images in the centre pane. You do have the arrow to expand the list for years and ratings, etc.

Any chance we'll be getting this back?
Press the hamburger (three dots) menu at the top of the Media Tree, and take option Show All Sub-Nodes
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

In this debate, I side with the ones who found the old (additional in the media tree) way more useful.

Thanks for the tip to show all nodes, that is exactly what I was looking for.
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
dypsis

Post by dypsis »

From memory, the "Show All Subnodes" functionality was only available by way of an addon located in the MediaMonkey 5\SampleScripts folder. But it was later included without the need to install the addon.

I personally think that it should be on by default, but that's a discussion for another day. πŸ˜‰
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
And as of 5.0.2 it will be enabled by default for all new installations.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
dypsis

Post by dypsis »

Peke wrote: ↑Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:37 am Hi,
And as of 5.0.2 it will be enabled by default for all new installations.
Not everyone will agree, but I think having it on by default is the best option. πŸ‘πŸ‘
It just makes things easier to navigate, especially for newcomers to MM5.
And advanced users will know where to disable it if they wish.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

dypsis wrote: ↑Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:04 pm Not everyone will agree, but I think having it on by default is the best option. πŸ‘πŸ‘
It just makes things easier to navigate, especially for newcomers to MM5.
And advanced users will know where to disable it if they wish.
I agree, and I think that they should go further:
  • put ALL back at the top of the Location and Folder nodes, ie. additional to the Recursive button
And they should consider a MM4 Compatibility menu option:
  • put the List of Views back into the front level of the View menu, ie. additional to where they are now
  • have a similar looking default skin
  • call the Folders node MyComputer
  • plus whatever else creates multiple incidents of complaint and confusion in the forum
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.