Some Suggestions, BUGS, and Questions...

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Not_tech_savy

Re: Some Suggestions, BUGS, and Questions...

Post by Not_tech_savy »

leeuniverse wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:10 pm
Yep... Turns out I'm just crap out of luck. I don't get what that Metadata section is even for if it's not for "selecting" what you want and don't want. But, according to the Devs MM doesn't have the ability to ONLY edit the Tags you want automatically.

While I did have a backup of my music files, part of it DID get overwritten still with the "double-dates", because I do a daily backup, in which I can't get an answer on if it's supposed to do that. I also can't get an answer on what that Auto-Tagging/MetaData section even does if not to "select" what Tags you want, makes no sense.

Anyway, my life is ****... :(
((Also you got that date to year add-on? It's a 4 digit year, which I think isn't exactly what you want but might be less annoying.))

Don't fret guy. Try what I said in your other post. If you gotta manually update tags it takes time, but you feel accomplished afterwards.
I come from a bygone Era during the dark days of limewire :o in that time it would take minutes for a single mp3 to download(...or a virus that replicates a program named "GOD" until your computer has a stoke). Each song a gamble. My tags are f***ed. At last I have what I believe to be the correct info in.
The MM guys are very clear about taking baby steps with the beta. Change some settings, do it to a few files. If it does what you want, rotate that save. Then send 'er, all 12,000 songs in one go. Depending on what all you changed a couple hours and your back in business with that old save.

Just remember these guys aren't like itunes they don't have money to just throw at a bunch of programmers. Little by little each iteration is getting better. And so much customization, I don't know what a lot of it does but Ima find out.
MMW5 - 2690 beta Gold
MMA2 - 1073 beta Pro
Phone - S23 Ultra - liked the S21 Ultra more
leeuniverse

Post by leeuniverse »

Not_tech_savy wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:05 pm ((Also you got that date to year add-on? It's a 4 digit year, which I think isn't exactly what you want but might be less annoying.))

Don't fret guy. Try what I said in your other post. If you gotta manually update tags it takes time, but you feel accomplished afterwards.
I come from a bygone Era during the dark days of limewire :o in that time it would take minutes for a single mp3 to download(...or a virus that replicates a program named "GOD" until your computer has a stoke). Each song a gamble. My tags are f***ed. At last I have what I believe to be the correct info in.
The MM guys are very clear about taking baby steps with the beta. Change some settings, do it to a few files. If it does what you want, rotate that save. Then send 'er, all 12,000 songs in one go. Depending on what all you changed a couple hours and your back in business with that old save.

Just remember these guys aren't like itunes they don't have money to just throw at a bunch of programmers. Little by little each iteration is getting better. And so much customization, I don't know what a lot of it does but Ima find out.
1. Ya, already used the the "Date to Year" Addon... Works.
The only issue is when you view the file in Mp3tag for example, it shows the year as 1999\\1999 still.
I think the Dev's said this was for "compatibility" or something, but I'm still trying to get it confirmed if the date is actually supposed to be that way. It doesn't show as that way in Picard or MM, but does in MP3tag... It's the same for GENRE... instead of the ";" separator in Mp3tag it shows as Rock\\Pop\\Classical.

So, trying to figure out if I'm "supposed" to be editing files that way.

2. Ya, I'm really needing Tags to NOT be "overwritten"... I spent a couple 100 hours editing every Tag/Artwork just how I wanted, and the last thing I've wanted is for that information to be overwritten. It's mostly correct already, I used MusicBrainz Picard and Mp3tag to edit everything. But, there's some special formats also I've used, that I don't want overwritten, and the program has. So, I have to redo ALL of that....
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

1) There is this bug fixed in build 2507: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=100193&hilit=mp3+separator otherwise, MediaMonkey follows the ID3 standards for tagging.
leeuniverse

Post by leeuniverse »

Lowlander wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:32 am 1) There is this bug fixed in build 2507: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=100193&hilit=mp3+separator otherwise, MediaMonkey follows the ID3 standards for tagging.
So, what are those standards and "how" should things be separated?
Again, I used to have a single date showing in all my files and programs, now there's a double-date with slashes between after using Media Monkey to try and update "Lyrics" only, and yet my other tags are also changed. This is just "one" of those changes MediaMonkey did that I tried to tell it NOT to do, that I need to fix, so I need to know "what" I need to actually do?

Is there supposed to be double/dates with slashes? Cause MediaMonkey did that, as well did the same to many Genre tags, which the slashes only show in Mp3tag.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Yes, you were provided with a link already on how to change this: https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/kno ... year-date/
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

leeuniverse wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:55 pm
Lowlander wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:32 am 1) There is this bug fixed in build 2507: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=100193&hilit=mp3+separator otherwise, MediaMonkey follows the ID3 standards for tagging.
Again, I used to have a single date showing in all my files and programs, now there's a double-date with slashes between after using Media Monkey to try and update "Lyrics" only, and yet my other tags are also changed. This is just "one" of those changes MediaMonkey did that I tried to tell it NOT to do, that I need to fix, so I need to know "what" I need to actually do?

Is there supposed to be double/dates with slashes? Cause MediaMonkey did that, as well did the same to many Genre tags, which the slashes only show in Mp3tag.

Hi leeuniverse,

a couple of thoughts

1) What is your main music client? ie is it MediaMonkey, or something else?
Does this tag duplication show in whatever that tool is? ... or can you only see it in a low level nuts&bolts tool like mp3Tag?

If the "damage" is not visible in your music client(s), do you really care?
From the little I understand, under the covers, the tagging ecosystem is an incrementally evolved mess and MediaMonkey does the best that it can with it.
Maybe it is like a sausage ... it is best you don't know what is in there, and what it looked like as it was being made. :D
MiPi wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:17 am Every format is different and has different way of storing multiple values of the same kind. E.g. ID3v2.4 in MP3 stores multiple values always as values separated by zero byte. And it is not possible to use different separator, as it would be against standard and other software would have problems with correct parsing of the data, we would create non-valid files. Also storing user defined separator to file and then changing user defined separator would cause, that previously written data would not be read correctly as separate values..
MM has a tag named YEAR that you can see in a few places. From what I understand it is just the 1st four characters of whatever crud there is in the DATE tag.

2) MM5 did have a bug. It is fixed, but not yet released. Maybe you were affected by that.

3) But generally this is not an issue that is new to MM5. See this thread fron ten+ years ago.
nb. it points to a Knowledgebase topic which has been lost, but I think that is here..

That gives you enough of a clue as how to fix the issue, if in fact it does need fixing?
Lowlander wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:54 pm Yes, you were provided with a link already on how to change this: https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/kno ... year-date/

LowLander, the contents at that link are not very helpful.

Can't it have a preamble to explain the situation, the terms, and background.
And can't the contents be explained better. It reads as daunting techno-babble.

See that its User rating is 2:1 thumbs down ATM for that page ... That's generous IMO.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
leeuniverse

Post by leeuniverse »

Barry4679 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:10 am Hi leeuniverse,

a couple of thoughts

1) What is your main music client? ie is it MediaMonkey, or something else?
Does this tag duplication show in whatever that tool is? ... or can you only see it in a low level nuts&bolts tool like mp3Tag?

If the "damage" is not visible in your music client(s), do you really care?
From the little I understand, under the covers, the tagging ecosystem is an incrementally evolved mess and MediaMonkey does the best that it can with it.
Maybe it is like a sausage ... it is best you don't know what is in there, and what it looked like as it was being made. :D
I've actually been mostly listening to Talk Radio and CD's for years now...
I've been doing a ton of downloading finally putting together my digital collection of music, the best songs from the last 50 years.

So, I'm getting them all organized, tagged properly etc. I've used MusicBrainz Picard for most of the Tagging, and Mp3tag for further adjustments.
I've had to switch over to MusicBee to get things fully organized and mostly finished, downloading Lyrics WITHOUT any of my other tags being touched, etc.

So, while I did have to spend the last week fixing what MediaMonkey ruined on even my backup files, fortunately, it was only my main files that got almost fully ruined, so I didn't have "as" much to fix.
Anyway, I want to use MediaMonkey, it's a nice modern program, but it's been absolutely unacceptable to be overriding people's Tags without their permission, especially when there's a section in Settings that seems is SUPPOSED to actually prevent that. Otherwise, there's no point to it if all your tags end up overwritten according to MM database automatically on save. Like I said in the other thread, I get some people don't care about what's happening with tags etc. But, some of us do, and there are good reasons for it.

Anyway, see the other thread for my response to you and Lowlander for more on that subject...
Thanks for trying to help with things...
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

There is a related fix in the next beta build: https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=18414
yarguy

Post by yarguy »

leeuniverse wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:55 pm
ID3 (V1 superseded by V2) is the standard format for tags in digital music files. Original set up for MP3, FLAC files also support the system. WAV files may or may not - but they often don't support any system. MP3TAG uses ID3. Here's the wikipedia entry:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ID3
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
WAV Files do have own Metadata standard (as of 1995/1997) and it is called RIFF LISTINFO chunk, using ID3 in WAV was never standardized even many apps used it as workaround. Other standard was used by BWF (Broadcast Wave Format), but unfortunately it never fully lived in MM as it was mostly used in Europe by radio stations.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Lowlander wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:34 am There is a related fix in the next beta build: https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=18414
Related how?

Having difficulty understanding exactly what this addresses.
1) Album is tagged when not selected
1 Deselect Album, select only Lyrics, Title, Artist
2 Use Auto-Tag
--> Album is changed

2) Album Artist is tagged
This may be a function of Artist and/or Album being tagged. It would be nice if the user can set this explicitly in Choose Fields (reason is tagging Artist & Title for a compilation Album, Album/Album Artist in this case are not looked up).
Does this address the central question of whether Auto-Tag updates all TRACK tags using DATABASE values, regardless of User setting.?
Or is this just meaning that Auto-Tag reads more than it should from the Internet, and therefore unintended tags get updated in both DATABASE and TRACKS?

If it is the later it doesn't really have any impact on the issue raised by this thread, does it?
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
leeuniverse

Post by leeuniverse »

Barry4679 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:26 am
Lowlander wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:34 am There is a related fix in the next beta build: https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=18414
Related how?

Having difficulty understanding exactly what this addresses.
1) Album is tagged when not selected
1 Deselect Album, select only Lyrics, Title, Artist
2 Use Auto-Tag
--> Album is changed

2) Album Artist is tagged
This may be a function of Artist and/or Album being tagged. It would be nice if the user can set this explicitly in Choose Fields (reason is tagging Artist & Title for a compilation Album, Album/Album Artist in this case are not looked up).
Does this address the central question of whether Auto-Tag updates all TRACK tags using DATABASE values, regardless of User setting.?
Or is this just meaning that Auto-Tag reads more than it should from the Internet, and therefore unintended tags get updated in both DATABASE and TRACKS?

If it is the later it doesn't really have any impact on the issue raised by this thread, does it?
Ya, that report doesn't appear to be the issue in question... Related, but not the same.
They've already informed me a few times now that MM is "supposed to work" how I've been having a problem with.
Which is crazy town, to be frank...

Want to love the program, there is a LOT good about it, but "auto" anything should NEVER touch things (tags or otherwise) a person doesn't want touched. Period. This is an absolute PRIORITY fix needed... I'm simply amazed others haven't experienced this issue before me.