Very Rare "POPS" in playing MP3s with MM4 4.0.5.1510

Discussion about anything that might be of interest to MediaMonkey users.

Moderator: Gurus

sirandar

Very Rare "POPS" in playing MP3s with MM4 4.0.5.1510

Post by sirandar »

Regarding Very Rare "POP" artifacts in playing MP3s with MM4 4.0.5.1510 (and previous)

I had a issue that was bugging me for a while and I thought I would describe it so others don't have to figure it out the hard way....

Issue: One track in about 200 has a completely repeatable "POP" artifact at a specific location in the track. Opening up the MP3 and analyzing it with Audacity shows no artifacts or disconnected trace at the location in question. The wave looks normal. The MP3 also has no POP when played with Audacity.

Solution: The POP has nothing to do with the MP3 .... it is fine and plays in other players. It is the volume leveling feature of MM4 that causes the POP in certain tracks (rare). Go to Tools\Options\Player\Volume Leveling\ and unclick "Set Volume Leveling To" box

The POP goes away. I don't know why this is enabled by default in the first place as it wasted a lot of my time, as I assumed it was some problem with the MP3.
Peace through music
Lowlander

Re: Very Rare "POPS" in playing MP3s with MM4 4.0.5.1510

Post by Lowlander »

What dB value do you have set? A high dB value can cause this, it shouldn't be an issue at 89dB. If it is you may want to re-analyze the volume of the track (you need to disable the option that only does this for unknown leveling adjustment).
sirandar

Re: Very Rare "POPS" in playing MP3s with MM4 4.0.5.1510

Post by sirandar »

Lowlander wrote:What dB value do you have set? A high dB value can cause this, it shouldn't be an issue at 89dB. If it is you may want to re-analyze the volume of the track (you need to disable the option that only does this for unknown leveling adjustment).
Actually I never touched this setting and it was 89db by default. I don't even analyze volume and never use this feature of MM.

It is very rare, I have about 10000 tracks and it has only happened about 8 times. Previously I found that re-encoding the track at a different bitrate sometimes gets rid of the issue. If the devs feel like trying to replicate I can send a link the the Emusic location for the most recent track where I have experienced this problem.
Peace through music