is mediamonkey becoming abandoware?

Discussion about anything that might be of interest to MediaMonkey users.

Moderator: Gurus

luiscastillo21

is mediamonkey becoming abandoware?

Post by luiscastillo21 »

I was just wondering, it's been a while since you put a new version out. I would hate to see a great program like this go to the digital dumpster. :cry:
Lowlander

Re: is mediamonkey becoming abandoware?

Post by Lowlander »

I guess you didn't really look around? A new beta version of MediaMonkey 4 comes out pretty much once a week in the Beta forum and also recently MediaMonkey 3 has seen 2 updates.
tones456

Post by tones456 »

Lowlander wrote:I guess you didn't really look around? A new beta version of MediaMonkey 4 comes out pretty much once a week in the Beta forum and also recently MediaMonkey 3 has seen 2 updates.
It depends *where* you look. Yes, the forums have uptodate news, but the MediaMonkey web site looks well abandoned... e.g. the "latest news" is dated Nov 2010, and is about the releases before the current one. That, on a company's home page (your main shop window), doesn't inspire confidence in the company nor their product.
Tony
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Agreed, more news on the homepage would be nice.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

News items are frequently posted on facebook and twitter:
http://www.facebook.com/MediaMonkey
http://twitter.com/#!/ventismedia
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.

Post by Guest »

News must be frequently postet on MM homepage!
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

i don't go to facebook or twitter.

i come here and the wiki pages. and to a few other help forums.

and to some sites to look for album covers.

and to majorgeeks.com

so news on the other places i don't go is not seen by me.

i'm betting i'm not the only one that does not go to them places.

spreading news in those places should be done by people that go to those places.
updating news on the programs home page should be done by the developers of the program when they get a chance
to update its news. if they are going to other places to update the news then that is spreading their time and web skills too thin they should let us members that go to other places spread the news on them.

how ever it does get tiresome to only work on one site and not ever know if any one is reading it. so going to other places
lets the developers know how many people really like their programs.
so its a give and take.

but i do agree the news on mm's site is a wee bit out dated. :wink:
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
Peke

Post by Peke »

I know lots of people not using FaceBook and Twitter. Lot less than those that do use it.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Onweerwolf

Post by Onweerwolf »

I agree as well. Social networks are for kids imo. And I'm pretty sure the majority of people would agree. It's pretty ridiculous to have a company homepage with your own url and then have your customers google for social networks to get any news on products. I consider that to be very amateurish.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I disagree, Social Networks serve many people and sites like Facebook have a majority of adults (you're not allowed on under 13). Company presence on Facebook is useful too (but shouldn't go in place of the companies website), it's a good way to keep updated about company news (if they handle it well). In the end they're just a tool like email and users shouldn't be forced to use it to keep updated/stay in touch with the company.
Onweerwolf

Post by Onweerwolf »

Imo, it's a very bad tool. Half of the time I click a facebook link to try and gather information on a subject it tells me I have to log in/create an account to read what I want. It's ridiculous. It's also bound to die out soon enough once people find a new way to communicate with each other. Just look at MySpace.

Please tell me why I would try to go to Facebook to keep updated on MediaMonkey news if MediaMonkey has it's own website? If you could give me one good reason why Facebook trumps a company website I'd be very surprised.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I never said it trumps a company website. Although for many companies it's the only way they're keeping me updated. It's just a tool for companies to keep in touch with users, like the website, newsletter, twitter, forum and RSS are tools to keep in touch with users. And as long as these tools are widely used (and Facebook is) it's wise to be using the tool.

And no a company should never force users to sign up with another tool to stay in contact and in with MediaMonkey this isn't the case. The Facebook page just rehashed stuff already on the forum. The thing lacking is the news section which rarely receives an update.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Onweerwolf wrote:
Please tell me why I would try to go to Facebook to keep updated on MediaMonkey news if MediaMonkey has it's own website? If you could give me one good reason why Facebook trumps a company website I'd be very surprised.
This same news is available on the MM website, in the forum - which does not require any kind of signup, etc.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Onweerwolf

Post by Onweerwolf »

Lowlander wrote:I never said it trumps a company website. Although for many companies it's the only way they're keeping me updated. It's just a tool for companies to keep in touch with users, like the website, newsletter, twitter, forum and RSS are tools to keep in touch with users. And as long as these tools are widely used (and Facebook is) it's wise to be using the tool.

And no a company should never force users to sign up with another tool to stay in contact and in with MediaMonkey this isn't the case. The Facebook page just rehashed stuff already on the forum. The thing lacking is the news section which rarely receives an update.
True, so currently for those just wanting to know about any updates on MM there is no other option then to either search social networks or browse the forum because the main site is not being updated. Amateurish. And while that sounds harsh the way I phrase it I mean it as criticism intended to make things better. I love MM, it's one of the best pieces of software out there. It defeats all the other music players in terms of functionality and stability. It deserves more than amateurish management in terms of commercial and service aspects. It really does.
Onweerwolf

Post by Onweerwolf »

nohitter151 wrote:
Onweerwolf wrote:
This same news is available on the MM website, in the forum - which does not require any kind of signup, etc.
Didn't you just say a few post above this one that news items are posted on FB and Twitter?