is mediamonkey becoming abandoware?

Discussion about anything that might be of interest to MediaMonkey users.

Moderator: Gurus

nohitter151

Re: is mediamonkey becoming abandoware?

Post by nohitter151 »

Onweerwolf wrote:
nohitter151 wrote:
Onweerwolf wrote:
Please tell me why I would try to go to Facebook to keep updated on MediaMonkey news if MediaMonkey has it's own website? If you could give me one good reason why Facebook trumps a company website I'd be very surprised.
This same news is available on the MM website, in the forum - which does not require any kind of signup, etc.
Didn't you just say a few post above this one that news items are posted on FB and Twitter?
Yes, I did. And then I said the same information can be found in the forum.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Onweerwolf

Post by Onweerwolf »

nohitter151 wrote:Yes, I did. And then I said the same information can be found in the forum.
But not on the main page, correct?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

No, not on the main page.
Onweerwolf

Post by Onweerwolf »

Exactly! Which is the problem addressed by the topicstarter. And I agree that it is an issue. You cannot expect casual users or potential users to visit the mainpage, learn that the last update was a very long time ago, and then take the steps to either visit the forum or google for social networks to see if there really are no updates or that they're just not being posted where they should.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

And nobody is arguing that there shouldn't be more news on the front page.
Onweerwolf

Post by Onweerwolf »

Well, you seemed to suggest in your earlier posts that getting news through social networks was a good thing. Which it isn't.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Nobody suggested that the news section shouldn't be updated. The only thing suggested was that there are updates available on the forum and facebook so it isn't a case of no updates being available at all. I said that for some companies being updated on facebook is the only way I stay in touch with the company (obviously not the case with MediaMonkey).
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Onweerwolf wrote:Well, you seemed to suggest in your earlier posts that getting news through social networks was a good thing. Which it isn't.
Well it certainly isn't a bad thing!
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
bremble

Post by bremble »

Aren't there widgets that could be added to the homepage that showed twitter and Facebook updates so MM would look, to the uninitiated (and/or non-social media) like there are updates? At the least there should be a place that quickly shows the latest version.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I think it's better if they just post the updates in the News section.
Onweerwolf

Post by Onweerwolf »

nohitter151 wrote:
Onweerwolf wrote:Well, you seemed to suggest in your earlier posts that getting news through social networks was a good thing. Which it isn't.
Well it certainly isn't a bad thing!
Yes well, as I said, I disagree. Not everyone uses social networks. If i'm looking for news on specific software I go to the company's website not some random social network. I would venture the guess that i'm in the majority but maybe i've been missing the boat on the whole facebook/myspace/twitter thing and it's apparent usefulness on sharing news. :(
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

700 million are on the Facebook boat, in many countries it's more than 50% of the internet users. And again all we're saying that it's available there, not that it should be the only avenue of getting news. No one is arguing against more news in the homepage news section.
Sizzly

Post by Sizzly »

Onweerwolf,

Twitter and Facebook type things aren't going away. Even if you don't use 'em you'll have to at least accept that other folks do and rely on those tools for their info.

Not saying your approach isn't valid either. Hell, I do all the methods listed above.
Rob
DJ Sizzly
http://djsizzly.com
Onweerwolf

Post by Onweerwolf »

Lowlander wrote:700 million are on the Facebook boat, in many countries it's more than 50% of the internet users. And again all we're saying that it's available there, not that it should be the only avenue of getting news. No one is arguing against more news in the homepage news section.
I'm not sure I'm getting what your argument is then.

Ts wonders if MM is abdandonware because the company website is not being updated.

Then it is established that instead of on the company website news is being posted on social networks.

My argument: post the news on the company website. I don't care what is also posted on other platforms or not, that is not the issue. The issue is that currently the news is posted on social networks and not on the company website.

It's really a no-brainer to me... =/
Onweerwolf

Post by Onweerwolf »

Sizzly wrote:Onweerwolf,

Twitter and Facebook type things aren't going away.

I'm pretty sure they will actually. Look at MySpace, it was a rage for a few years until people found new alternatives in Facebook and other platforms. I'm pretty sure that in the future something else will come up.
Even if you don't use 'em you'll have to at least accept that other folks do and rely on those tools for their info.
Sure, what other people wanna is their business obviously. It however seems silly to me to put news on social networks instead of the homepage. Because realistically people that use fb and want news will still realize they can find it on the company website whereas people that do not use fb may not realize that you can find news on there if it's not on the company website.