Does bitrate matter

Discussion about anything that might be of interest to MediaMonkey users.

Moderator: Gurus

Lowlander

Does bitrate matter

Post by Lowlander » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:56 pm

Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)

jtekusa

Re: Does bitrate matter

Post by jtekusa » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:03 pm

Thanks for sharing this link, lowlander! I have always used VBR MP3's (32-320) but have been considering a losless format for the very reasons mentioned in the article (large hard drive). For me, it began by noticing the CBR bitrates were not good enough when played back. I also believe that better audio cards and speaker systems exist today that allow people to hear the deficiencies better. For example, my laptop has JBL speakers and a subwoofer!

Thanks again and I have bookmarked the provided link for future use and review. :)

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:31 pm

I myself rip to FLAC as it's lossless, thus futureproof and of the lossless formats offers good tagging support (which WAV lacks).

jtekusa

Post by jtekusa » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:46 am

Very good point, Lowlander. When I started ripping music, non-lossless was the only option as I recall. My computing journey began in 1990 when I purchased an Atari ST computer - I am dating myself here. I will chalk it up to laziness and not learning about the lossless formats when they arrived. I am looking at what I have amassed at this time and I have my work cut out for me if I decide to reburn all of the songs I have for playlists on my computer which are maintained and transferred to my MP3 player. As I mentioned before, I like my music and I try to take it with me where ever I go. :wink:

From now on, I will be burning in FLAC. I did so yesterday and I was impressed by the increase in sound quality. Thank you again for sharing this information as I would have been happy with VBR MP3 ripping and missing out on better and future proofed media files.

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:59 am

The Advanced Duplicate Find and Fix might prove an invaluable tool when re-ripping tracks to a higher quality: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... e+find+fix