Q: Producer Tagging?

Discussion about anything that might be of interest to MediaMonkey users.

Moderator: Gurus

timelezz

Q: Producer Tagging?

Post by timelezz » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:50 am

When you know the producer of a song, which ID Tag do you use to write it down?

rovingcowboy

Re: Q: Producer Tagging?

Post by rovingcowboy » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:53 am

involved people is what i would use or the company one. :D
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy 5 Android 5) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.

Mizery_Made

Post by Mizery_Made » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:09 am

It may depend on what genre we're talking about here, as the title can imply a different role when it comes to certain genres. I think with music in general, "producer" is more of a "director" type of role that was present while the track(s) were being recorded or something? However when it comes to a genre like Rap or R&B (and a bit of Pop music), it would imply more of a "composer" role. Someone that was just responsible for coming up with the "beat." For the latter, "Composer" may be fitting (though I chose not to use it initially, instead going with "conductor", seeing as some programs store writing credits in the composer field). Theoretically speaking, "Involved People" would be ideal, as it's meant as a kind of "catch all" when it comes to people involved with the track. However... MM doesn't really play too nice with that field, in my opinion.

I'm thinking of making a move to storing the data in an "Involved People" like manner in the "Composer" field and then using the Magic Nodes script to offer some neat navigation of the data. There's always the option of setting up one of your five custom nodes as a "Producer" field, however they aren't multi-value supported fields which may be a drawback compared to stealing "Conductor" or "Composer."

timelezz

Post by timelezz » Mon May 02, 2011 4:57 pm

Thank you Mizery_Made for your elaborated explanation. Indeed, the term producer is often coined with R&B tracks. I will follow your recommendations. Thanks!