You with Iphones need to know this.

Discussion about anything that might be of interest to MediaMonkey users.

Moderator: Gurus

rovingcowboy

You with Iphones need to know this.

Post by rovingcowboy » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:48 am

any of you members here with iphones that have not heard. well you better check the news sites if you want to hear more.

but the iphone os has hidden apps in it that have no option for on or off and you can't find them without knowing where to look. or with out a peice of hardware that then plugs in to your iphone. this hardware is owned and used by the mich. state police and other police departments, and it is able to be bought by anyone, what it does is read all information on your phone that was ever put in to it even if it is deleted. all info is stored in this hidden app for one year.
apple never told anyone somebody found out and told the news. but if you have an iphone or maybe other i.... product the os is keeping track of you with out you knowing it, (big brother style) and there is more news on this so you better go to the news media sites to find out more, its not just fox news, its also on all major broadcast channels. so their sites should have more.
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy 5 Android 5) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.

nohitter151

Re: You with Iphones need to know this.

Post by nohitter151 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:53 am

I think you're misinformed. What it is is a document in the phone that has latitude and longitude coordinates for your location. The file can only be accessed from the phone itself, or from any backup of the phone that you make with iTunes. The info is not stored online or transmitted to the internet in any fashion.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:57 am

Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)

nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:02 am

Lowlander wrote:I think he's referring to: http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/34/3458.asp
Ok, that is different from what I'm referring to. But I seriously doubt that it can recover deleted stuff. Here's what I was referring to: http://www.webpronews.com/iphone-tracki ... ts-2011-04
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.

sirandar

Post by sirandar » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:03 pm

If true, that is the scariest piece of news I have seen for a long time.

If true, if I had a Apple brand anything I would get out the hammer and smash it to powder just because Apple thinks its OK to keep copies of things I delete in case I am a criminal. Also it would result in a lifetime boycott of Apple ..... forever, even if they revoke this policy

NOT REALLY TRUE, and Android stores some location info too.

It seems this a hoax .... although Apple and all computing devices leave deleted and undeleted parts of your data that can be recovered I found no evidence whatsoever of an Apple application that is caching you private data after you deleted or move it for the purpose of providing it to any third party.

So this is nothing new....

Have any evidence that Apple is doing this?

rovingcowboy wrote:any of you members here with iphones that have not heard. well you better check the news sites if you want to hear more.

but the iphone os has hidden apps in it that have no option for on or off and you can't find them without knowing where to look. or with out a peice of hardware that then plugs in to your iphone. this hardware is owned and used by the mich. state police and other police departments, and it is able to be bought by anyone, what it does is read all information on your phone that was ever put in to it even if it is deleted. all info is stored in this hidden app for one year.
apple never told anyone somebody found out and told the news. but if you have an iphone or maybe other i.... product the os is keeping track of you with out you knowing it, (big brother style) and there is more news on this so you better go to the news media sites to find out more, its not just fox news, its also on all major broadcast channels. so their sites should have more.
Peace through music

rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:13 am

sirandar wrote:If true, that is the scariest piece of news I have seen for a long time.

If true, if I had a Apple brand anything I would get out the hammer and smash it to powder just because Apple thinks its OK to keep copies of things I delete in case I am a criminal. Also it would result in a lifetime boycott of Apple ..... forever, even if they revoke this policy

It seems this a hoax .... although Apple and all computing devices leave deleted and undeleted parts of your data that can be recovered I found no evidence whatsoever of an Apple application that is caching you private data after you deleted or move it for the purpose of providing it to any third party.

If your answer above is for lowlander or nohitter151. i did not read their link.
if it is to me on my post? well your calling apple and the police department liers.
cause both said it was true on the tv news. just a day or so after i posted the first message in this thread.

rovingcowboy wrote:any of you members here with iphones that have not heard. well you better check the news sites if you want to hear more.

if your reply to me was only asking me for proof..
the proof is the fact that both apple and the mich. state police admitted it on tv news a day or two after i posted this thread.
they did also say it would not be used to spy on people.
but one has to wonder if that was just to trick us to not worrying about it ?
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy 5 Android 5) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.

sirandar

Post by sirandar » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:51 am

Sorry ..... you misunderstand me.

My post was regarding Apples culpability regarding the privacy of files on Apple devices.

What the Michigan police is doing is clearly misuse of power and an invasion of privacy. They are simply using a Quasi-legal hacking device to break into peoples mobile devices to engage in theft of personal data. A bit of research shows that Apple devices are not the only target, Android and Nokia phones are also targeted..... but I didn't see any RIM devices.

I do IT and I know that any device can be hacked quickly and it is not really feasible for Apple to block hacking attempts when the hacker is in possession of a device. The news article also mentions that the company that makes the hacking devices used by the Michigan police are working on a wireless device. It would be CLEARLY be Apple's responsibility to prevent all wireless hacking attempts on their devices regardless of the source. Any device that permits wireless theft of data should be boycotted by the public. The reason for the double standard .... preventing hacking when the hacker physical possession of the device is basically impossible.

Now if evidence can out that Apple was caching data for the expressed purpose of providing it to a 3rd party .... then Apple is engaging in an illegal spying activity and all their products should be boycotted IMO and legal action taken against them BUT I seen no evidence whatsoever of this and more clearly I see no evidence that Apple devices are any worse that other computing devices in term of being sloppy with erasing data after use.

I don't really care for Apple and I do think they bully end users ..... but I see no evidence of foul play on their part. The Michigan police are simply engaging in theft of personal data. They obviously think that they can do that.

rovingcowboy wrote:
sirandar wrote:If true, that is the scariest piece of news I have seen for a long time.

If your answer above is for lowlander or nohitter151. i did not read their link.
if it is to me on my post? well your calling apple and the police department liers.
cause both said it was true on the tv news. just a day or so after i posted the first message in this thread.

if your reply to me was only asking me for proof..
the proof is the fact that both apple and the mich. state police admitted it on tv news a day or two after i posted this thread.
they did also say it would not be used to spy on people.
but one has to wonder if that was just to trick us to not worrying about it ?
Peace through music

rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:05 pm

just herd on the news today.

several groups of millions of iphone users have been fileing lawsuits on apple.

for the reason they at apple admitted that they store users info on where and what cell tower was used and when.
for a year in the iphone in a secret place in its software.

south korea was one of the mass groups of iphone users that is court procedings now.
others might be and or Are.

Apple released a statment they are now in the process of changing the way the information is stored and aquirred by
other 3d party personel.
they are making it to be saved for only 7 days. and are encrypting it.

so apple is doing it after all. 8)

sirandar

Post by sirandar » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:13 am

Yes, I would agree that it is of concern that Apple is sloppy about encrypting this info. However, the actual positioning data is very rough (usually +/- 1km) and the party invading your privacy has to be in possession of your device to get the data off.

Once somebody had possession of your device they can get a lot more info about you than crude location info. Theft of laptops to steal corporate info has become a major occupation for some.

If a person is a cheating spouse, if their husband or wife gets a hold of their Iphone I guarantee that they won't need to search and decrypt Apple crude location history ..... They will go straight to the email and chat histories and do an on-line check of the credit card history on line if there are saved passwords.

Spouses regularly do this kind of snooping .... it is very very common.

rovingcowboy wrote:just herd on the news today.

several groups of millions of iphone users have been fileing lawsuits on apple.

for the reason they at apple admitted that they store users info on where and what cell tower was used and when.
for a year in the iphone in a secret place in its software.

south korea was one of the mass groups of iphone users that is court procedings now.
others might be and or Are.

Apple released a statment they are now in the process of changing the way the information is stored and aquirred by
other 3d party personel.
they are making it to be saved for only 7 days. and are encrypting it.

so apple is doing it after all. 8)
Peace through music