NOTHING happening to Mediamonlkey anymore?

Discussion about anything that might be of interest to MediaMonkey users.

Moderator: Gurus

Sebastian78

NOTHING happening to Mediamonlkey anymore?

Post by Sebastian78 »

Is Mediamonkey "dead"? No new development, nothing new? Is this it? Nothing more?
Mizery_Made

Re: NOTHING happening to Mediamonlkey anymore?

Post by Mizery_Made »

The last version was released less than five months ago, you make it sound as if it's been years since anything has happened. Besides, there is development taking place, on MM 4.0. Given it'll be a major release, of course it's going to take some time to develop. You can follow such development at the bug tracker.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

i'm having trouble with my computers here. the ones online give me a hard time trying to get to pages on the web. i've got to jump through tabs for each and every page or site. and downloading or uploading things is a pain in the rear right now some thing is going on with the isp or these computers again.

but i'm not making any new skins for mediamonkey until i get these computers working where i don't have to jump through 3 or 9 tabs to get a page to load.

:(
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
qaelith_2112

Post by qaelith_2112 »

Clearly, development is happening on 4.0. For me it can't happen too soon :-) This release is especially critical for me as this bug: http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=3210 didn't make it into the 3.x series and is making it very painful to use MM to manage the music on my Droid, while leaving alone all of the other content on the SD card that MM isn't supposed to be managing. I would never ask a developer to commit to a release date but I can't help wondering very roughly when an alpha might possibly show up.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

in all the previous versions i tested only one was ever released for alpha testing that was mm 3.0 the others were all released as beta. but they might again do alpha for mm 4 because it is going to have some stuff for video and that will be a major update too.

but it shouldn't be long now for testing to open they been at the R and R for mm 4, for some time now it might start any time from now to august then i think it will go to december which is based on previous version release's. :)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
TanKCR

Post by TanKCR »

I love my toys, and I love the new shiny ones the best. That being said, I am crazy impatient for a new release of MM...
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

One came out like a week ago.
Sebastian78

Post by Sebastian78 »

Lowlander wrote:One came out like a week ago.

Eh, don't think that one counts.....it's more like new spark plugs in you 74fizza...or something like that.

MM...."works"...but is starting to feel a little bit "stale"........I mean, it looks way outdated. Now I'm no hater, not more than the next guy and I'll bet MM4 will look awsome. But, I don't think they'll get much more new customers with the way things are looking now.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

change the skin make it look new again.

if none you like, make one you like.

mm 4 is to have same feel as win7 with the transparent stuff.

or the same old mm 3 skins. i for one like the mm 3 skin style.

:)
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

That's both personal taste and something you can change as a user, besides the fact a new release is available means there is development going on it's not dead, despite that it's only a fix for a single issue.
Sebastian78

Post by Sebastian78 »

Yes yes, "newness" can become an unhealthy obsession in today's society. Especially when something just works, just like Mediamonkey does. But no matter how fond of the development team, how much you like the software itself and how happy you are with how it works, Mediamonkey is gettin "old" fast.

* There have been no new features implemented
* Even if you use a different skin, the same modules are still there
* MM has a cramped look, with these elements taking up more space than needed
* It has an old way of presenting the music you are listening to
* The skin "gallery" is appalling and an industry worst
* The implementation of "ad-ons" is horrible, ad-on gallery as well
* The last major version move, kept to many old of the old elements and not adding enough freshness

Now I use MM as my main and ONLY mp3 player. I don't have iTunes installed and I haven't re-installed Songbird (no ipod support or ability to import ratings from MM). I think MM is great and it works great for me. But it still looks kind of stale. Run MM in Win 7 and it's like using something from Win 98, that's how old it looks. Songbird has it pegged, it looks like it belongs on a modern computer (but has it's own faults). Now you might say that I can just stop using MM since I'm only complaining. But that sticking your head in the sand. If that was the case, we'd still be using Win XP, old Explorer/Firefox or any other software. Because basically, they worked as well.

Summary: Even though MM works and works great, it looks old (even if you skin it) compared to the way operating systems and other software looks in todays environment.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

you taking too much words to say simple thing.

mediamonkey looks old to me, i wish there would be more noticable things done to mediamonkey on a faster time line.

is all you need to say. :D

but yes i know it does look old in win7 but i hate win7 cause you can't change its window color it has to keep that damaged white color i want to use my own choice of color to type on.
but that is the new look in os. then i'll stick with my old xp pro, i kept win98 for over 10 yrs until it blew the hardware.

now that said i did mention that mm 4 is going to use the transparent skins of win7.
and it is going to have video in it.

but jiri and rusty are being very envoled in upgrading it they are not like most people shucks they in their own forum how many other developers look in their forums as much as rusty and jiri?

yes they are still trying to get the skins and scripts hosting site up, so the way you have to find skins and scripts is bad for such a great program. but look at the script authors that are still showing up and making updates to their scripts only a few of those that made scripts are doing that.

same thing with the skin authors, some did what they wanted and got out.
jiri

Post by jiri »

Sebastian,

generally speaking I agree, there's quite a lot to be improved in MM 3.x. That's why MM 4.0 will have a lot of new features and will look much better than 3.x. It takes us more time than I'd like to (for various reasons), but now everything in development works well and we are only few months from MM 4.0 final (and pre-releases will be out in even much shorter time).

Jiri
MaFt

Post by MaFt »

i disagree. MM works. full stop ('period' if you're american). likewise MusicMatch Jukebox USED TO work and worked very well, however, when they started adding new (pointless) features and adding fancy looks to 'keep it fresh' the main purpose of the software suffered and myself and a few others i know stopped using it for this very reason. it became unstable with relatively small libraries (2000 tracks) all because they wanted to 'keep looking fresh'

what new features do you feel MM lacks? it's a music player and library management - and it does these excellently. i for one cannot think of any new features (other than video but this is proposed for v4 anyway) that i would like to see.

Sebastian78 wrote:1) There have been no new features implemented
2) Even if you use a different skin, the same modules are still there
3) MM has a cramped look, with these elements taking up more space than needed
4) It has an old way of presenting the music you are listening to
5) The skin "gallery" is appalling and an industry worst
6) The implementation of "ad-ons" is horrible, ad-on gallery as well
7) The last major version move, kept to many old of the old elements and not adding enough freshness
1 - what new features do you want?
2 - which 'modules' don't you want to see? i use all of them - folder list, library, now playing and artwork
3 - i disagree. the 'elements' take up the right amount of space and are adjustable if you want to resize them anyway?
4 - how, exactly, can you 'present music in a new way'?! i need to know artist, title and the artwork along with track time and position. not sure what else you can add?!
5 - i don't use skins so i can't comment
6 - works well for me...
7 - again, which 'old elements' don't you want? i'm sure if any 'old elements' were removed there'd be a LOT of users who use these and would be complaining...!

MaFt
http://maft.co.uk
Sebastian78

Post by Sebastian78 »

jiri wrote:Sebastian,

generally speaking I agree, there's quite a lot to be improved in MM 3.x. That's why MM 4.0 will have a lot of new features and will look much better than 3.x. It takes us more time than I'd like to (for various reasons), but now everything in development works well and we are only few months from MM 4.0 final (and pre-releases will be out in even much shorter time).

Jiri
Hope I'm not being a grumpy bastard here, because I really REALLY like MM. But I feel like I have been bringing down the "piss from above" without any knowledge of programming. I started complaining early on about the appearance of MM and I don't give you credit as much to weigh things up. You are doing a great job..period...just keep up the good work hehe.

I JUST finished editing ALL my mp3's (100GB+) with Mediamonkey. Editing all album covers to either 500x500 or 600x600 depending on quality. (I stared out with 500, but moved to 600) in Photoshop, editing EVERY SINGLE ID3 tag like an obsessed maniac. Now, it's perfect. Thank you!