Let's Hear Your Experiences with MM3

Discussion about anything that might be of interest to MediaMonkey users.

Moderator: Gurus

Kov-Ice

Let's Hear Your Experiences with MM3

Post by Kov-Ice »

So who's using the 3.0.1 version? What have been your experiences?

Please give both good and bad, as it's easy to browse the forums and just see the problems people are having.

Kov
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

i've got the final released version of mm 3.

i've had some of the same errors reported by others like crossfading cliches.

and there is a bad lag to the float players av effects this might be that memory leak the other guy found.

and theres the on going skin errors where it can not use small player sizes that are locked in place with out doing a exit of monkey and then restarting monkey so the player then shows up in full skin mode. this is one that has been a big pain in the back side since alpha test version 6. but it does have that work around so if you want to put up with some stuff then you can use the locked size player skins.

i like the features morten was able to tell them how to put them in the skin like transparent images. that one took petrcbr some time to get working but he did.
him and morten did a lot on the programming. but i suspect there is more on the way in mm 4.

i like all the different skins. some are the same as others and some are copy's of other players. but all are welcome here just to make media monkey have lots of different options.

the lack of video support does not bother me.
the library seems to work fine for me but others seem to have troubles.

so i am wondering if they do need that winxp sp 3 beta update.
since that is what i put in and all seems to be fine. so far that is
8)

i am not using any non default scripts or plugins yet as it seems some of them are causing errors.

but out of the box it works fine for me. loud and is fast and uses the album art i have so no problems too much here. 8)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
TwiztidSinz

Post by TwiztidSinz »

I've been using MM3 since the 2nd to last Alpha (Alpha4 I think), all problems I've experienced have been fixed and it's been working wonderful for me.
I tend to keep MM3 open for extended periods of time in MicroPlayer mode (minimized to Taskbar) and pause/stop it when not in use.
Prior to MM3 I had used MM2.5 for tagging, so most of my collection had already been tagged. The few albums I've tagged using MM3 I feel have been the same or easier.

The only 'issue' I have is when the song info pops up in MicroPlayer mode, its raised by 20px, the exact height of my ObjectDock bar. I think is actually related to ObjectDock and not MM3 because turning off 'Reserve edge of screen' removes the gap (ObjectDock is on top, MM3 popup is on the bottom), but it's a minor annoyance at most.

My opinion is that MM3 is the best Music Player and Manager I've used.
Motherboard: Intel D915PBL
Processor: Intel Pentium 4 550 Prescott 3.4GHz LGA 775 (w/ Hyper-Threading)
Memory: Corsair 2048MB (512x4) DDR2 533 (PC2 4200) Dual Channel
Hard Drive: Western Digital WD800JD 80 GB / WD2500JS 250 GB / WD2500KS 250 GB
Video Card: Sapphire RADEON X1600 XT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

The only 'issue' I have is when the song info pops up in MicroPlayer mode, its raised by 20px, the exact height of my ObjectDock bar. I think is actually related to ObjectDock and not MM3 because turning off 'Reserve edge of screen' removes the gap (ObjectDock is on top, MM3 popup is on the bottom), but it's a minor annoyance at most.
you talking about the monkeys built in toaster style of popup?

just go in to the tools and then options in there i think on the player panel the pop up settings are there, the horz.. slider moves it to the place you want it at, that way. and the vert.. slider does it the other way.

just left click and drag the sliders to move it.
8)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
irshjet35

Post by irshjet35 »

So far with MM3 I like the fact that you can use the album art with Details. But other than that Im not super psyched. I dont like that when you use the Album Art view you cant change the Fields, I know that I dont user composer for anything. Also I dont like the fact that when you are in album view you click on the album art and it doesnt link back to the album. I am still looking for a way to have a single view album view and MM3 is close with the Album Art with Details, But instead of the track listing I would like just the basic info, Length of album, # of tracks, year Label, then be able to click on the Album art to link back for the track listing. And I am not really understanding the filter and views. So for now I am sticking with MM2.5
TwiztidSinz

Post by TwiztidSinz »

rovingcowboy wrote:you talking about the monkeys built in toaster style of popup?

just go in to the tools and then options in there i think on the player panel the pop up settings are there, the horz.. slider moves it to the place you want it at, that way. and the vert.. slider does it the other way.

just left click and drag the sliders to move it.
8)
Yes, that popup.
But that will not fix it, it is currently set to the absolute bottom, but due to an issue (that I think is more to do with ObjectDock), the 'bottom' of my screen is 20px above the task bar.
Motherboard: Intel D915PBL
Processor: Intel Pentium 4 550 Prescott 3.4GHz LGA 775 (w/ Hyper-Threading)
Memory: Corsair 2048MB (512x4) DDR2 533 (PC2 4200) Dual Channel
Hard Drive: Western Digital WD800JD 80 GB / WD2500JS 250 GB / WD2500KS 250 GB
Video Card: Sapphire RADEON X1600 XT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16
hurrlipurr

Post by hurrlipurr »

I upgraded this morning. My first impressions:
  • I'm a little dissappointed in the new design (too stylish, icons very hard to recognize) - on the other hand I like the new player at the bottom of the window.
  • The database migration didn't work: eg. play counters are lost. :-(
  • Scripts don't work anymore (the only thing that was mentioned on the upgrade page)
  • All Playlists disappeared (i had lots of auto-playlists)
  • Performance is very poor - especially when using filters. MM is kind of hanging up using >95% CPU for >1h.
  • Poor documentation about the migration and the new features
It's not really working for me so I didn't have the chance to check out the new features. I hope things are getting better very soon.
hurrlipurr

Post by hurrlipurr »

Another strange thing: in the new album art views the pictures keep on appearing and disappearing - what is that?
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

go through the options for monkey and turn of the ones that you know work in the background or set the background priority to lower or lowest and see if that speeds up things.

right click on the mini player get the menu to set its transparentency on that panel turn off when inactive and turn off transparentency that should help a little with speeding up things.

the album art i do not have any trouble with it.
in the album view so the only thing i can think of that you and the others are talking about is the fact that they are listed in alphabitical order and when the list stops one letter and goe's to the next there is a blank area showing you there is no more listed under that letter.

that is not a bug that is a feature.
jsc315

love it.

Post by jsc315 »

I love it. i like the new look of MM3. The migration from MM2 was seamless and had no problems and kept all my info. i really love the new pop of the artist/album and now with album art.
I really like the podcast feature. All my audio podcasts i now can easily put on my podcast. I do wish that i would be able to import my podcasts instead of having to individually add every single one. I have about 30 podcasts i listen to so it was a bit of a pain but nothing much.
Seems to be a little slow at start up, but do have a real lot of music on my external hard drive, so that may be the cause of that.
Over all i love it. Have had almost no problems with it.
nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan »

Being a person who loves the color blue, the blue glass skin is very easy on my eyes. Now that it is out of beta testing, the performance enhancements are very noticable. But my favorite new feature of MM is the filters. I tend to like to use different columns when I am either editing tags, creating playlists or just listening to music. The filters allows me to use the columns which I need in the appropriate setting. I also like the new options which are available in the files to edit node. Although I have had some minor issues with the way album art is being handled in MM3, I can overlook it because of the benefits of the other features. Also, although the scripts are not an official part of MM, it would not be "as great" without them. So I would like to take this time to tell all the scripters that you are doing a GREAT job and there are many users who appreciate your hard work. Although I do not use any of the custom skins, I would also like to thank the skinners for their hard work as well. Since my migration to MM, I have not regretted my decision, the developers and users are very helpful and they try their best to ensure the program is up to everyone's standards.

Nyn
3.2x - Win7 Ultimate (Zen Touch 2 16 GB/Zen 8GB)
Link to Favorite Scripts/Skins

Join Dropbox, the online site to share your files
hurrlipurr

Post by hurrlipurr »

Tagging is also much slower. When tagging a set of 400 files (change their genre) MM is doing something for about 2 minutes and only after that starts the tagging (visible on the status bar).

The album-art "issue" disappears after MM read all the files on startup (which takes about 30 minutes on my networkdrive). Using the filters also works after that. The only bad thing that still remains is, I tried a filter on a genre (Jazz) but after that MM doesn't respond for hours using most of my CPU. Maybe the SQL MM generated does not work?

EDIT: I played around with that issue a little more: it seems the freezing only occurs when clicking on "Artist" while filter is active - "Album Artist", "Album" etc work fine but one click on Archive/Artist makes it go to its knees - can somebody reproduce that behaviour?

BTW: Same issue when clicking on "Find more of same artist" :(

Another question: I had an auto-update script (for some kind of score which was then automatically stored in one of the custom fields). How do I migrate this? I read several postings about it but there I'm never sure if it is valid only for 2.x or also vor 3.x.

I like the podcast-feature. I messed around with several podcatchers but this one works perfectly for me (so far).

Album art view is also a very nice feature - it's much more fun scrolling through the covers than through the plain text database.
my_two_cent

VirtualCD in MM3

Post by my_two_cent »

I use VirtualCD and I started using it in MM2 when I first started ripping my CD collection. It's never worked quite right.

When I told MM3 to import my MM2.5 database, it copied over the VirtualCD information and it also discovered all the tracks in the VirtualCD folder, so I ended up with double entries.

No problem, I erased the database and started over without importing my MM2.5 database, but MM3 wouldn't discover tracks in the VirtualCD folder so long as I told MM3 that that folder was where the virtual CDs belonged. So I created a VirtualCD3 folder, told MM3 that that is where my virtual CDs belong, and it was able to read the old VirtualCD folder and find all my .FLAC files from my CD rips.

But I no longer have my MM2.5 virtual CD information. I suppose it's no great loss, but I was using the virtual CD information in case the RIAA ever raided my bedroom and stole my computer and accused me of stealing music. The virtual CD data is my proof that I own the CDs. I suppose I'll just have to show them where all the boxes of CDs are located up in the attic. :-)
Kent W. England
MM newb

Play now / play next / play last

Post by MM newb »

I've just discovered MM, and I've been using it solid for about 5 days trying to sort out my 40GB library.

For the most part it's great - I much prefer it as a player to Winamp 5 but there are a couple of things that are REALLY bugging me.

The first is the lack of any way to get from a track list to the file on disk. I want to do this all the time - just right click a track in MM and choose "Locate on disk" or whatever and have an Explorer window open. Guess this is more of a feature request.

Second - Why the difference between the behaviour of "Play Now" and "Play Next / Play Last"

When I have a single track selected , right click and choose "Play Next" or "Play Last" - the single track is added to the now playing panel and all is ok.
BUT - if I choose "Play now" it adds ALL the tracks in the main panel tothe now playing list - sometimes hundreds of them.

Is this a bug or a 'feature'? And if it's intentional what's the thinking behind it?

Thanks!
onkel_enno

Re: Play now / play next / play last

Post by onkel_enno »

MM newb wrote:The first is the lack of any way to get from a track list to the file on disk. I want to do this all the time - just right click a track in MM and choose "Locate on disk" or whatever and have an Explorer window open. Guess this is more of a feature request.
Right-Click -> Find more from -> Location
MM newb wrote: Second - Why the difference between the behaviour of "Play Now" and "Play Next / Play Last"
You can configure the behaviour in the options