Cannot browse music library within Toyota Entune

Get answers about the current release of MediaMonkey for Android

Moderator: Gurus

dharris2112

Cannot browse music library within Toyota Entune

Post by dharris2112 »

Hi,

I am an old MM PC user but recently installed MMA on my Samsung Galaxy Note 9. I use my phone to play music in my 2015 Toyota Highlander via bluetooth. Before, I just used Google Play. In this case, there was a browse button on the radio's screen when playing music from my phone via bluetooth. With the browse button, I could search the music library on the phone via artist name, album name, or an alphabetical sort of song names. Now that Google Play is dead, the browse button no longer appears when my phone is connected to the radio.

I installed MMA free version to replace Google Play. The control of the player works as expected from the radio (my steering wheel buttons work as expected). Displaying album artwork, song name, and track number also works on the radio. What was missing was the music search capability. I upgraded to MMA Pro hoping the "folder browse" feature would resolve the issue but no luck there.

I had read elsewhere that functionality might depend upon which AVRCP protocol is being used. My phone uses version 1.4 as a default. I had switched to 1.3, 1.5, and 1.6 via the phones developer options (and a power cycle between settings) but this did not seem to make a difference.

Below are the details of my setup:
  • Samsung Galaxy Note 9 running Android Oreo (8.1.0)
  • Toyota Highlander Limited Platinum with "Premium Entune" Entertainment System
  • MMA Pro 1.4.2.0945

Is there a way to get the browse function working again on the Toyota radio? It really sucks to have to change albums or artists on the phone. Its also unsafe and illegal where I live to manipulate the phone while driving.

Thanks,

Dave
Peke

Re: Cannot browse music library within Toyota Entune

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Unfortunately MM and third party apps only use AVRCP 1.3 protocol even both devices support later versions. For some reason only Google Play music somehow was seen and manage to enable that you can browse and search even Album Art in some cases. It was never documented by google how to correctly take advantage of newer version thru Google Android Developer API and how to use advanced features of 1.4-1.6 protocols. One of the reason is they are favor Android Auto and now Android Automotive OS :(
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
dharris2112

Post by dharris2112 »

Thanks for the reply Peke.

Sad that Google has "moved on" without documenting the code.

Toyota has been slowly lobotomizing Entune over the years too. Not that is was great to begin with but some features were useful. Maybe it's time for me to finally put the effort into replacing it with an Android head unit and better amp and speakers.
Peke

Post by Peke »

dharris2112 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:40 pm Maybe it's time for me to finally put the effort into replacing it with an Android head unit and better amp and speakers.
I have done that on my car 4 years ago and never regret it, worth every dime.
May I suggest that you buy from reputable company like Dasaita that give you great support for each of their sales and XDA Developers Forum gives you great customization freedom and even updates to the Firmware (some even older devices have updates to Android 10). I have installed number of their device with not a single issue. HINT: Before purchase talk to them on Skype and give them details on vehicle as much as possible and your experience will be painless and simple Plug and Play.

EDIT: FYI MMA 2.0 looks stunning on 7" in dash screen, I can't even imagine how beautiful it would look at 10.2".
Best regards,
Peke
dharris2112

Post by dharris2112 »

Thanks for the suggestion on a reputable source. Having support from XDA Developer's forums is ideal.

I was going to scratch build my own head unit based around an Odroid-N2 but didn't really put much time into it (it's still in a box in my basement). Looks like 3rd parties have caught up.

Thanks again,

Dave
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Yeah they did, and if you contact Dasaita, please as them 10 times if they need more information, you can also disassemble existing Head Unit, take pics of all cables and connectors, dashboard, ... that is related to Head Unit. It will save both your time and theirs to prepare you Plug And Play kit. If they ask you for few more $ to give you exact needed cable or you want to upgrade with latest Board Version, ask and they are willing to help. Just do not be silent.

Thank you for the Odroid-N2 and Odroid-N2+ mention, I forgot about that as I was thinking about an Raspberry Pi 4 Android system that I could connect to House Automatization in order to control AC, Heating, AV Volume, ... Using Android 11.

Thus it will take time to make.
Best regards,
Peke