Problem with MMA Classical Music Composers

Get answers about the current release of MediaMonkey for Android

Moderator: Gurus

brucek123

Problem with MMA Classical Music Composers

Post by brucek123 »

Just getting started on MMW on a Windows 10 laptop and MMA (Pro) on a Hiby R5 Saber mobile media player - selected MMA it for its Classical Music feature. Large library on laptop - which I organized over the years on MusicBee - MMW handles it fine. Copied a few files to a 64 Gb external drive and sync'ed MMW to MMA in order to copy tags. Want to sort by Composer - but can't get MMA to recognize some, even though all tags are done the same way: last name, first name (birth - death year). Unrecognized files drop into "Unknown Composer" folder. Tried reinstalling MMA - still does the same thing.
Lowlander

Re: Problem with MMA Classical Music Composers

Post by Lowlander »

Are you referring to the actual file structure on the device?
brucek123

Post by brucek123 »

Thanks for your response - I store a portion of my music library on a microSD card on the device. I have the full music library on my laptop. I understand that I need to sync MMW to MMA on my device. I primarily organize my library by composer - last name, first name (birth - death years). I have opened MMA using the "composer" button, and the "classical music" button. Both list most of the tracks from the microSD card. However at the end of the list, there are several tracks under the category "Unknown Composer". These tracks are like all the others - MMW shows the composer tagged. I have changed settings on MMW Options>Auto-Tag from Filename, to allow Auto-Tag to update tags using the Filename format: <Composer><Artist><Album>, but that doesn't seem to solve the problem
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Folder/filename organization has no impact on how MMA reads the files.

When you edited the Composer in MMW, are you sure that it was saved to the files tags and did you Sync the files to MMA afterwards?

Which version of MMA and MMW are you using and are you doing a wifi or USB sync?
yarguy

Post by yarguy »

Is there anything different about the composers that show up as "Unknown"? Do any/all of the composers who are "Unknown" also appear under their name in MMA?
brucek123 wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:47 pm Thanks for your response - I store a portion of my music library on a microSD card on the device. I have the full music library on my laptop. I understand that I need to sync MMW to MMA on my device. I primarily organize my library by composer - last name, first name (birth - death years). I have opened MMA using the "composer" button, and the "classical music" button. Both list most of the tracks from the microSD card. However at the end of the list, there are several tracks under the category "Unknown Composer". These tracks are like all the others - MMW shows the composer tagged. I have changed settings on MMW Options>Auto-Tag from Filename, to allow Auto-Tag to update tags using the Filename format: <Composer><Artist><Album>, but that doesn't seem to solve the problem
brucek123

Post by brucek123 »

Lowlander wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:15 am Folder/filename organization has no impact on how MMA reads the files.

When you edited the Composer in MMW, are you sure that it was saved to the files tags and did you Sync the files to MMA afterwards?

Which version of MMA and MMW are you using and are you doing a wifi or USB sync?
Most of the Composer names were already in my library and many (but not all) do sync successfully. They all show up appropriated in MMW. I'm not sure what you mean by "saved to the files tags."

MMW v.4
MMA Pro

Wifi sync
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

In MediaMonkey you can make changes to tags and this will always be saved to the Database, but tags also can be saved to the files themselves (default), which means other applications can read them. This is enabled under Tools > Options > Tags & Playlists.

Remove a problem file from your device, make sure it has the correct values in MMW and Sync again between MMW and MMA. Does the file now show correctly in MMA?