Files on SD are not added to library.

Get answers about the current release of MediaMonkey for Android

Moderator: Gurus

Lowlander

Re: Files on SD are not added to library.

Post by Lowlander »

The problem lies with Android Media Scanner which is something MediaMonkey can't fix. This is why it will be abandoned for MMA 2, but that is a major rewrite, not a small fix. Neither MMW 5 nor MMA 2 have a release date, instead they'll be released when ready, which unfortunately isn't great to hear if you're really waiting for it. As MMA 2 relies on features included in MMW 5 (not in MMW 4) it is set to be released after MMW 5 is finished (at minimum at a much more polished point). Both MMW 5 and MMA 2 are major rewrites, and that unfortunately takes time.

With MMA 1 it's best to sync MMW to MMA as this allows MediaMonkey to bypass the Android Media Scanner for the most part as MMW updates MMA directly with files and tag information.
BryanX9X

Post by BryanX9X »

Lowlander wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:16 pm With MMA 1 it's best to sync MMW to MMA as this allows MediaMonkey to bypass the Android Media Scanner for the most part as MMW updates MMA directly with files and tag information.
While i am all for trying something new, my main concern is that i've got over 3Tb on my MMW & i'm only using 45Gb on my MMA (or at least would be if it read my SD). So my concern would be on that sync time, but i'll just have to give it a go to find out how long it will take.

& while yes it is hard to hear that both MMW & MMA are still TBD on release dates, at least now i know not to expect anything. Which is better than not knowing. So thanXX for that. =)
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Sync speed would depend on connection speed (wifi slow, USB faster, USB-C fastest/high end device) and if any Auto-Conversion are required.
BryanX9X

Post by BryanX9X »

Update

I got a new phone, but the problems still persist.

Samsung xcoverpro
Android 11
256gb SD card
Mma pro 1.4.4.0952

When I first installed mma, the music showed up. But when I started adding music to the SD card, it didn't show no matter how much I told it to rescan the library.

So I got creative. I had the music in a folder labeled 'music' & it was a main folder on the SD card. I copied the music out of the folder & into a temp folder. I deleted the mma library listing for that folder as well as the folder itself on the SD card. I then rescaned the library in mma. Then I made a new folder & named is 'music' & moved all the music files back into it. I added the folder to the mma library & then told it to rescan.

This time it found the new music, but it didn't find any of the old music. So it was a positive that it found the new music, but a negative that now it couldn't find the old music. So I played around some more.

I found that if I made a new folder with a unique name never used before, & moved all of my music into that folder then mma would scan it & find my music.

But mma has folder memory & will not rescan files in a folder it has previous knowledge of.

However I have noticed that there are some folders that mma still will not add to the library, regardless of all this.

Now I have my music all categorized in the following format.
Main folder/artist/albumn/musicfile
So there are still some 'artist' folders that mma will not parse & scan into the library & it is the same folders each time.