"Skipping tracks (missing codec)"

Get answers about the current release of MediaMonkey for Android

Moderator: Gurus

shamuslit

"Skipping tracks (missing codec)"

Post by shamuslit »

I am using latest MMPro 1.3.1.0751 on an Asus Z3 (ASUS_Z012DC) . MMPro has worked well for many months. However after an update of both MMA and the OS (Android 8.0.0) from ASUS (though I have no evidence to suggest that these events are related) I am now getting the following error:
"Skipping tracks (missing codec)" and then "Skipping inacessible tracks"
for any and all MP3 files. All other media players work just fine on this device so I know the MP3 files are good. I've deleted and reinstalled MMPro but to no avail. Can anyone suggest a fix for this issue?
al2112

Re: "Skipping tracks (missing codec)"

Post by al2112 »

I have the exact same problem. MM Support was not helpful. Wish I could recommend something.
Jsb1111

Post by Jsb1111 »

I have the same problem with MMPA
On my android7.1 head unit It worked well with mp3s for six months. Then I started getting a missing codec message and my MMPA became worthless. VLC still works —so that’s what I will use for now. I would like to know if the MM people ever fix this because if it worked, I would prefer the MM interface.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

MediaMonkey only supports those formats that are natively supported by the device. VLC uses its own codecs.

MediaMonkey for Windows can auto-convert files on sync to your device to a format your device supports.
ggibby

Post by ggibby »

I installed the November update on my Pixel 3a last night, and now MediaMonkey is reporting this error.
Google Play Music crashes when playback is attempted,
but VLC is able to play.

Based on posts above, I assume that FLAC is broken at the OS level.

Odd that I can't find any other users online having this problem.
Dougie_Fresh

Post by Dougie_Fresh »

I'm having this same issue. I switched from the LG Stylo 3 to the Moto G Stylus a couple hours ago and none of my playlists on my SD card are being read by Media Monkey on my new device and it's driving me crazy. Works fine on my old phone, but not my new one. Media Monkey support, please help!
Dougie_Fresh

Post by Dougie_Fresh »

Just to add: The new device is a Moto G Stylus (2021) running Android 10 and Media Monkey 1.4.3.0950. My former device is a LG Stylo 3 running Android 7 and Media Monkey 1.4.3.0950. So they're both running the same version of Media Monkey, just with a different Android OS. For my own sanity, I put another SD card into the LG running Android 7 and transferred my playlists to it using Media Go and it works fine. Media Monkey on the LG sees the playlists and all the songs on it. When I put that same SD card into the Moto G Stylus running Android 10, it does not see the playlists.

Can a Media Monkey support rep or developer confirm if this is a known bug with Android 10, etc? The only difference is the OS. Media Monkey reads the playlists on both SD cards on the LG running Android 7 but Media Monkey does not read the playlists on both SD cards running on the Moto G Stylus running Android 10.

I'm using Media Go to transfer my files because (1) I always have while I had my LG and never had an issue, (2) While troubleshooting this issue, I've installed Media Monkey for Windows desktop client, but it's not transferring all the files to the Moto G Stylus. Not sure if this because of what may be a bug or not.

Again, can someone confirm if there is a bug with Android 10 and reading playlists created by other media transfer tools and why Media Monkey desktop client is not transferring all the files in a playlist on Android 10?
Dougie_Fresh

Post by Dougie_Fresh »

I figured out the issue. Android 10 no longer reads .m3u files with forward slashes. You'll need to do a find and replace of backslashes with forward slashes in the file. Afterward, MM will recognize it. I guess this forum isn't monitored by the developers or support anymore as I never received a response, but just in case someone else needs the fix.